Death, Black, Goth, etc ~ Please explain

"About heavy metal i disagree, they are gay clothes.

And about black metal, they do take their music seriously, just not themselves."

Well...my thoughts wasnt so bad...
Again...Im sorry for my bad english.

"Black Metal is often too serious about the wrong thing, namely being as "evil" as possible and put the music in second place, you don't see that in Death Metal."

That is what I meant...but it was blurry.
To much focus on clothing and style.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
He sings with a growl...
Pounding drum beats...
Speedy riffs...
Some keyboard mixed in...

I could go on, but explaining to someone else how a band "sounds" to me is a lot easier then saying - "They're a death metal band, with a touch of goth", and all I'll get in response is "Huh?"

Nah, I find genres, to a certain extent, are very usefull in describing music - even stuff like, for example calling opeth melodic progressive death metal - gives a pretty close description of what they are like to any-one who knows what those terms mean...

Personally - I don't consider music labelling a necessity at any level. I'm not sure this happens, but I bet there are artists out there that actually try to fit into a category, and lose their individuality. Broad-based categorization is fine: Classical, Jazz, Rock, Metal - but once you start digging, and coming up with new genres every year because someone added a new bass lick or something - the musical waters become muddy.

Not a necessity, just a usefull tool :loco: Of course it happens, the majority of artists fit quite easily into a category, many even try their best to be pigeon holed - its generally the good ones who go above genres. Basically what your saying is you don't like over genreisation (??) as even calling something rock/classical whatever is the same, but to a lesser extent...

I agree having too many genres is silly, but maintain they can be very useful...

"Pas de problems of course, but actually your username is wrong English too... hihi, it should be RisenFromTheDead..."

Well... :erk:

Cream of the crop!

Or did I write that wrong to? :loco:

:cry:

No actually...I can feel relaxed and write wrong but write understandable. Waseia that righta too? (understandable)

Imeya killer on spelling! I am "Risedfromthedead"

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
"Black Metal is often too serious about the wrong thing, namely being as "evil" as possible and put the music in second place, you don't see that in Death Metal."

That is what I meant...but it was blurry.
To much focus on clothing and style.

Oh come on, death metal obsesses with evil too. It is true most death metal bands aren't satanic, but bands such as Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Incantation, etc.. do not obsess with goodness either. Satanism as a religion is just as ridiculous as any other religion, but Satanism as a philosophy is actually quite rational because it does not try to change human nature, which is undoubtedly quite cruel. Humans are the only animals on this planet that actively murder one another for some very stupid fucking reasons and if that's not "evil" I don't know what is. That is why I respect bands who sing about evil since they're simply being themselves.

Yes, philosopic satanism and nihilsm themes among black metal bands seem interesting, more so than gore imho, not because it doesnt comes from the same place, but because is less childish. Well that is until the mime painting kicks inl

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead

Not more ridiculous?

No, not more ridiculous. A Satanist as any other retarded theist devotes his/her life to satisfying imaginary demands set up by an imaginary character that he/she refers to as "god". How much more ridiculous can a person get? What makes Satanism different from Christianity, Islam or Judaism is that Satanism does not fall into the category of ethical monotheism. Satanists are largely monotheistic but they are not very ethical. In other words, they don't forgive those who "trespass" against them, which means that they are not encouraged to take shit from others in a way that ethical monotheists are. A Satanist’s refusal to forgive gives him/her a less passive outlook on life, which (from an evolutionary standpoint) ensures a greater chance of survival. Nevertheless, a Satanist is still a theist therefore his/her mind remains shrouded in bullshit.