death metal takes no talent

Originally posted by warsofwinter

Whats wrong with Tool .. whats wrong with NIN ?
Dani Filth gives metal a bad image .....who cares what image metal is given .... who gives a fuck really .. nobody ... I listen to my music and I don't care what other people think of it if I did care, that would make my life alot more complicated
Yeah I like NIN andd Tool as well. Who cares about image crank up the tunes!

Originally posted by O'blivion
actually, none of those bands you mentioned are "goth." goth is not a music style, it is an image.
Yeah I agree, I was just trieng to Highlight the sort of metal Goths should listen to. Even Therion even though they are a different style. My earlier description of Goth was for people not music.

Anyway Just play him lots and lots of Opeth, who cares about genre when they're so damn good! If he doesn't repent he doesn't deserve to have a CD player... burn his House down.

"What should I bring?"

Um.....a hammer and put the bastard down! ;) I can't read page 2 right now. No time. I say bring him some Opeth. If he's a musician - a good musician - he should be able to HEAR sometalent. Am I right?

RIOGHT! :err:

Tool isn't commercial.. neither is NIN (some songs were accessible enough and digestible by the MTV crowd - look at how well the Fragile sold.. not commercial at all)

Manson's commerciality is the point. He's there to piss people off. He pisses off parents, gov't officials, people who think he's too extreme, etc. If you hate him, he wins. (my gf just did an essay on shock rock from Cooper to Manson, so I did some reading..)

I think Opeth is a fine example of real metal that's quite talented (and I don't mean 80s style scaling, but real songwriting talent)

P.S. Mindless Self Indulgence is fucked up. I can't stop listening to them..

Goth not a musical style? NIN, tool, manson and all that stuff is DEFINATELY NOT goth, but goth IS MOST DEFINATELY a musical style. It originated in the 70s in France, usually strings or acoustic guitar with spoken poetry all about depression and stuff...really dark but hauntingly beautiful. My Dying Bride - For my Fallen Angel...captures a sound somewhat like that. Other than that, goth is an image, you're right.

Novembre
Cryptopsy
Soilwork
Novembre
Opeth
Meshuggah
Novembre
Extol
Novembre

Oh, sorry, death metal? Well that list isnt limited to death metal but its all METAL and its all talented!

If you're going to show him the best, bring the best, Death The Sound of Perserverence, Cryptopsy ...and Then You'll Beg, Cynic (obviously), and I know I'm going to get shit for this, Morbid Angel Gateways to Annihilation(Pete Sandoval is the most technical drummer besides Christy and Mournier!)

I say that you should grab the guitar and smash it in his face
and then make his listen to At the Gates,death,cryptopsy,cynic,dark tranquillity etc
but the guitar smashing first