****metal?

If you want cheesy powermetal look no further than dragonforce.

and i sard myself, but i like blind guardian a little bit!

you forgot to mention the different kinds of death and black metal.

"Br00tal" death - Nile, origin, cryptopsy (these are the big boys!)
Melodic death - arch enemy (so completely "meh")
power death - children of bodom (cast me unto satan for utterin gthose words)
Blackened death - belphegor, behemoth, immolation( hell yeah! )
gothenburg death - at the gates
florida style death - cannibal corpse, morbid angel

hell you can probably name any death band and just make up a genre for them, apart from the 99% of generic shittery that there is. Personally i like me some brutal and blackened death

And there is only one type of black meta. Tr00Metal! ALL OTHER IS NOT BLACK METAL!

there are a couple of wonderful sites that everyone should get to know before posting all these threads.

1 - google.com
2 - wikipedia.com

Looking for a Job said:
if you type something in google, one of the first links seems to always be wiki :Spin:

I just tested that hypothesis with about 100 different words and didn't share your findings. In fact 0% wqere Wiki sites.

Ok, but can someone explain grindcore? I know it when I hear it, but I can't articulate what it is. I've looked it up but the definitions always suck.

TehLeperAffinity said:
Black :
# Lyrics, often taking the form of Satanic themes which blaspheme Christianity, and other occult themes, like paganism (this is the hallmark of Black Metal, but is not exclusive to it. Bands such as Slayer, Deicide, and Immolation overlap lyrically with black metal somewhat, but are generally not referred to as black metal)
# heavy distortion
# fast, aggressive drums, often including blast beats
# fast, repetitive guitar playing (so-called tremolo picking, in which the guitar is played similarly to balalaika) and riffing
# high-pitched screeching vocals
# swift percussion
# repetition
# cold and sad atmosphere.

etc etc....

Excellent post, but it would have been nice if you had gone into more detail about Black and Death genres as well.

Nevertheless, good post.

Who else is progressive death?

Death
Nile
Origin
Lykathea Aflame
Cryptopsy
Anata
Immolation
Morbid angel
Gorguts

On the other hand there are bands like vital remains who have 8-10 min songs which are basically 4 min tracks copied and pasted on themselves

Pinhead_br said:
can someone tell me some bands like entombed (new)?
thanks

You could try Babylon Whores. They're not exactly like them (closer to rock than to metal in my opinion, mostly due to the vocals) but if you like the blend of death metal with rock/punk (Death 'n Roll as Entombed themselves call it) then you'd probably like them.

King Fear is a great album by them. I have yet to really listen to the rest.

I have to say profanity, im not all that "in the know" about what geographical styles the bands are. I know alot of bands but unfortunately i never understand the florida, texas thing :-s

But morbid angel, cannibal corpse are floridian arent they?