What does it all mean?

Risquit said:
To succeed in nu metal you must:

1. Whine--I'm gonna do things my way, my way or the highway
2. Perfect a not quite gutteral scream of pseudo-anguish over what some girl has done to you--'Cause I'm one step closer to the edge, I'm about to break
3. Wear a goatee without the mustache part.
4. Black t-shirt, baggy shorts, forearm tattoos. No exceptions.
5. Make sure each band member stares ominously into a different direction in group shots.
6. Have a "DJ", scratching in the background. 808 bass(optional).
7. Either be bald or have some serious gel action going. Long hair not allowed.
8. Every song must oscillate between slow parts with single string guitar plucking followed by single chord bursts of sound generated through effects pedals (rather than talent).
9. When on stage, your head must bob, in fact, if you can make it look like you are fornicating with your instrument, even better.
10. Through lame ass "gang signs" on stage and in publicity photos.
11. When interviewed about your new album, mention that you were going for something "much darker" than your previous work.

:D That was one of the best descriptions of Nu-metal ever!!! I never really noticed half of those things as being stereotypical of all nu-metal bands until you mentioned them, but what you said is very true. nice.

Risquit: very nice. do some other genres for me.
chrisemerson: thanks for the emo stuff. ive seriously never heard that before. i cant stand sum41. are they really emo?

allow me:

Thrash Metal: The thrash movement owes a hell of a lot to the sex pistols, who came up with the idea of going fast. After that, a whole bunch of bands popped up who liked the idea. Thrash is basically normal heavy metal, except played, well, fast. not much difference, except that theres much less vocalizing and much more solos. Along with it goes hardcore, which is just some crappy bands making noise. most of it doesn't even keep a rhythm well.
Representative Bands: Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, Testament

Death Metal: My personal favorite, death metal is about making awesome music. although there are a lot of bands who seriously suck, the ones that are good more than make up for it. death is basically a stepping stone between black and thrash metal in terms of speed. because of this bassists are required to possess much more skill. drummers also end up having to keep a much faster tempo, so their workload is increased. and the vocals are growled in a voice simliar to cookie monster, and the lyrics are either focused on the various forms of homocide and mutilation, or on satanism.
Representative Bands: Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse

Black Metal: Balck Metal has 2 halves: those seeking to create an atmosphere, or those trying to create the rawest metal imaginable. the first type is rightfully represented by Emperor and Children of Bodom, Emperor featuring symphonic elements, and Children of Bodom having a keyboard player. The second halve is represented by Darkthrone and Mayhem, who are just about making the fastest intelligible music imaginable, and making it sound good. guitarists are basically faster, bassists dispense with the complicated rhythms and just keep a steady pace, but drummers are expected to keep blast beats, for those who dont know, really really really fast beats. vocals and lyrics are basically a derivative of death metal singing, with a mixture of a screech and cookie monster. lyrics are basically satanic and bloody, but also include some fanatasy stuff.
Representative Bands: Mayhem, Emperor, Darkthrone, Immortal, Children of Bodom

Grind/Core: A relatively small movement, grind/core is about the fastest music, intelligable or unintelligable. the guitars are so fast they almost sound ambient, the drums are faster than physically possible, and everything else is so loud that u cant hear the bassist even if u wanted to. the vocals are basically death metal vocals, and the lyrics depend on the band, though the two main ones are basically gore and politics.
Representative Bands: Carcass, Napalm Death

Doom Metal: A very obscure genre thats basically black-sabbath worship. tempos are slowed to the point that they probably change some law of physics that causes a moving car playing it to go backward. guitars are the sludgiest, slowest, downtuned things on the planet, and the bass is up in the forefront. drums keep the rythm, which is fairly easy. vocals are generally either operatic or growl. lyrics are either satanic, or often christian themed
Representative Bands: Candlemass, Pentagram, Sleep, Paradise Lost, Black Sabbath.

ripped this off another board, should be ok...

and the emocore pic has got to be the biggest display of pathetic gayness ever. nice job @whoever posted it

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Metalcore: A relatively new sub genre of metal which takes the recent influence of the "gothenburg metal" scene and melds it with the above hardcore scene in the sense that they take verses and chrouses based on melodic "at the gates or in flames" styled riffs then put the before mentioned "breakdowns" in it as well. This started in America, and continues to prominantly stay there...thank god. This genre, more often thought of as metal than hardcore, is liked by both subcultures, and seems to be the melting pot of them. Some example bands are: Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Avenged Sevenfold, God Forbid, etc This genre is also terrible, please steer clear at all costs.
I love Killswitch, Shadows Fall, God Forbid and Lamb of God.

You must hate me.

Sweet.

about 40 people will tell me i'm stereotyping and not being openminded, but if you like metalcore then why would you be on an opeth board?

coolsnow7 said:
about 40 people will tell me i'm stereotyping and not being openminded, but if you like metalcore then why would you be on an opeth board?

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever read. But maybe your right - what are the chances that someone could possibly like two different genres of music at the same time.....just come forward and admit the stupidity of that post and I'll be able to sleep better

my last post on this thread was the stupidest idea to be thought by humankind. better?

my point was that ironically metalcore is, as someone defined it, terrible, and simple. opeth is awesome and complex. interesting that someone would listen to both. only i said that differently.

(OK they are black metal but they are bad examples!!!)

Good examples:

Emperor
Enslaved
Burzum
Darkthrone
Immortal
Bathory
Mayhem

Also some of My Dying Bride's early work is quite defenitely black metal. (IE As The Flower Withers)

coolsnow7, thats a fair bit better than BLackwater86's attempt... except that there's no way in hell that Children of Bodom have anything to do with black metal.

and yeah, etotheipiequalsminus1, thats a fair list of the original bm bands... but you forgot Satyricon.

etotheipiequalsminus1 said:
(OK they are black metal but they are bad examples!!!)

Good examples:

Emperor
Enslaved
Burzum
Darkthrone
Immortal
Bathory
Mayhem

Also some of My Dying Bride's early work is quite defenitely black metal. (IE As The Flower Withers)

Satyricon? Although they fit more into the atmospheric type.

I mentioned Satyricon, but as the last post on the previous page, what do you expect?

There's no way they fit more with atmospheric metal than with black metal.

And yes, abcdefg is correct. Most people are aware of second wave bands as the 'core' of black metal, and realy any 'third wave' or anything that has happened since has just been watered down by the massive amount of bands playing that style these days.

dorian gray said:
Risquit: very nice. do some other genres for me.
chrisemerson: thanks for the emo stuff. ive seriously never heard that before. i cant stand sum41. are they really emo?
sum41 arent emo, i was using them as an example of what the clean vocals in emo sound like (to me anyway). sum41 are just light punk pop-rock crap really.