What is the Ghost of Perdition? What does it mean?

Perdition means Hell. Ghost of Hell. Any more than that I don't know, I tend not to analyse lyrics.

My take on "Ghost of Perdition" lyrics is partly this:

The word "perdition" means loss of the soul / eternal damnation. So, the "ghost of mother...lingerning death...ghost of peridition...stuck in her chest" to me means that his mother is lying on her death bed, her soul leaving her body, and she might be on her way to Hell.

That is my take....

^ Yeah I know, but it's hard to tell. It seems like an exorcism, but we need to refer to the whole concept of Ghost Reveries to ensure. And to the rest of the lyrics, if I may add.

The concept of Ghost Reveries seems to be focused on stages of possession or supernatural happenings in general..I dont think the album refers to just one instance of a supernatural occurance.

But hey, just my interpretation!

^^ Yeah that's what I thought too...

^ Hmm I don't think so. I believe Ghost Reveries is one single thing, the story of a man who's been possessed by an evil force, Satan, and who tries to get rid of him. The possibly true order of the album being...

The Grand Conjuration
Ghost of Perdition
Beneath the Mire
The Baying of the Hounds
Reverie
Harlequin Forest
Atonement
Hours of Wealth

Through I am not 100% of it globally looks like that. Ghost of Perdition is a part where there is an interaction between the mother and the son (possessed one). It's possible that he (or Satan) killed her, somehow.

What's certain is that Ghost Reveries is one single story...

"Majesty, pour yourself into me" (Grand Conjuration)
"To see a beloved son in despair of what's to come" (Ghost of Perdition)
"Willingly guided into heresy" (Beneath the Mire)
"Awaiting a reverie to unfold" (Baying of the Hounds)
"Drown in the deep mire, beneath the mire" (Baying of the Hounds)
"Baying behind me, I hear the hounds" (Harlequin Forest)
"Suddenly I can't justify what I had become" (Atonement)
"The fever that's been hauting me has gone away" (Hours of Wealth)

^^ Yeah that's what I thought too...

^ Hmm I don't think so. I believe Ghost Reveries is one single thing, the story of a man who's been possessed by an evil force, Satan, and who tries to get rid of him. The possibly true order of the album being...

The Grand Conjuration
Ghost of Perdition
Beneath the Mire
The Baying of the Hounds
Reverie
Harlequin Forest
Atonement
Hours of Wealth

Through I am not 100% of it globally looks like that. Ghost of Perdition is a part where there is an interaction between the mother and the son (possessed one). It's possible that he (or Satan) killed her, somehow.

What's certain is that Ghost Reveries is one single story...

"Majesty, pour yourself into me" (Grand Conjuration)
"To see a beloved son in despair of what's to come" (Ghost of Perdition)
"Willingly guided into heresy" (Beneath the Mire)
"Awaiting a reverie to unfold" (Baying of the Hounds)
"Drown in the deep mire, beneath the mire" (Baying of the Hounds)
"Baying behind me, I hear the hounds" (Harlequin Forest)
"Suddenly I can't justify what I had become" (Atonement)
"The fever that's been hauting me has gone away" (Hours of Wealth)

I like this.
It rings true, but I cant be convinced.
Dont know why, im just not.

Ghost of Perdition is clearly the perspective of the mother (ghost of perdition) who is dying/dead and becomes a ghost (reminds of mayh). The song is told by a narrator who's not part of the story and "knows everything". I only wonder why her soul is damned.. maybe because Satan himself killed her!?

First post. Hai!

So here's my take. Personally I don't think I'm more right or anyone else is correct in what the song means. Only Mikael knows.

Understanding that Mikael is an atheist I take the song to mean that as the "protagonist" of the song murders his own mother he is also killing his fear of the supernatural and along with it his fear of damnation. (EDIT: Thus changing his understanding of the visceral concept of perdition and rendering it dead. The memories of this concept to the protagonist then become the ghost of Perdition.)

Particularly this line makes me come to this conclusion:

Darkness by her side
Spoke and passed her by
Dedicated hunter
Waits to pull us under
Rose up to its call
In his arms she'd fall
Mother light received
And a faithfull servant's free

First post. Hai!

So here's my take. Personally I don't think I'm more right or anyone else is correct in what the song means. Only Mikael knows.

Understanding that Mikael is an atheist I take the song to mean that as the "protagonist" of the song murders his own mother he is also killing his fear of the supernatural and along with it his fear of damnation. (EDIT: Thus changing his understanding of the visceral concept of perdition and rendering it dead. The memories of this concept to the protagonist then become the ghost of Perdition.)

Particularly this line makes me come to this conclusion:

Nice username.