Lopez's Best Works

God I wish you people would shut up this discussion has been done 1000 times the topic is called "Lopez' best works" not "let's compare Lopez with Axenrot again" screw punctuation.

My think my favorite song drumwise would have to be Reverie/Harlequin Forest.

Ok right when I read "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" in this quote I literally heard Reverie/Harlequin Forest start up on my playlist....freaky o_O

But anyway, GR was my first cd so thus I've looked up to Lopez since then, although I am a big fan of Axe's drumming thus far. Sadly I didn't see Opeth in concert previous to the Watershed tour so I can't comment on Lopez's drumming live. I would love to see Reverie/Harlequin Forest done live though.

Oh and btw updated news on me spreading the Opeth love, literally just got one of the supervisors at work into Opeth. LOL :headbang: :kickass:

Okay after listening to Roundhouse for more I got new comments:

Axe is like a metronome. He never misses beats, I think this is what band members say about him being " tight ". His timing is perfect, and he is great at double bass drum. Overall he is a good drummer BUT my point is :

He cannot play Lopez' songs like him. Nothing personal, if Axe was the first member and he left then Lopez joined I would say the same for Lopez can't play Axe' songs.

OR

They have a new drum set which sounds weird.

Anyway don't get me wrong dudes. Was not trying to flame Axe.

Good comment

Tbh I know little of drumming, what exactly is there that makes lopez different from axe?

EDIT: obviously I know axe is a metal drummer and lopez as well but also has a latin influence. What I meant was that, could you please give some examples where lopez style is very prominent and different from axe's?

Lopez' latin influences are what makes him so interesting to me. He brought something very different to the band, which only further expanded their sound.

Axe has other influence, and while he is at least as skilled as Lopez, I don't think he stands out quite as much.

Burden
Hessian Peel
Hex Omega

that's three songs with soft drumming on them. lotus eater also has the mario part, where axe is grooving too.

go figure?
Not really what I consider soft drumming, not even close really, they all have sections with more rock oriented drumming, but just because they lack pounding double bass during some sections doesn't mean Axe isn't still pounding his drums through with the forearm. I only really consider "Hex Omega" to have soft drumming on the album, as its the only song to feature Axe taking it easy on the kick and snare, just letting the stick drop pretty much, all wrist.

I agree in everything except here, because I have never seen them live, and probably never will, but I hear the albums over and over again, which performance do you think I will appreciate more? The live one or the one in the studio?

Mainly the studio takes can be touched up, or redone. While on stage - done is done. A good live drummer is more than crucial for the band. Then u not seeing opeth live is of course a bummer.