Lopez's Best Works

Dammnare

Feb 16, 2008
I think Deliverance and Ghost Reveries was the albums that I really enjoyed drumming-wise. Not that others were bad but I think these 2 are the most interesting.

By The Pain I See in Others and Ghost of Perdition are my favourites.

BTPISIO : The whole song is great drumming-wise.

Ghost of Perdition: The fantastic (lol noone got it so I edited ^^) part at " Keeper of holy whores.."

What do you guys think ?

You forgot his personal touch with the tamboril in Closure...some kind drums that I like in TGC aswell in wreath I think is tamboril too..correct me if Im wrong

I love all his little details on the splashes and in grooves on Still Life, so I must say that that album has some amazing drumming. Being a drummer myself, I've listened most carefully to his drumming on all the albums.

I loved Lopez's drumming on the albums, especially Closure.

However, the few times I got to see him live (he was always out sick for my shows), he was disappointing. Not a very solid live drummer in the shows I've seen :erk:

Edit: Axe did a better job live, albeit a little weak on the double bass.

Lamentations DVD. Unedited, uncut, dynamic, live bliss.

he fucks up fairly noticeably in lamentations, especially the heavy set (iirc he fucks up ma, tla, tdf)

studio-wise he was perfect, live-wise mike has said that lopez was inconsistent with some of the trickier beats and his double bass.

ponie said:
Edit: Axe did a better job live, albeit a little weak on the double bass.
that's funny, because axe is solid on the double bass parts while lopez was always fluctuating tempos in every single boot I've heard dating back to 2001.

are you talking about the first US leg of the gr tour, where they played the songs at slower-than-album tempos? and it sounded like axe's second kick wasn't miced up, that's how slow he was playing? this was especially noticeable on deliverance and bwp. not sure why it happened, possibly inexperience playing the parts on those songs.

axe's dynamics have improved a lot since he started with opeth...it's noticeable if you compare shows from the first US GR leg, to the first US Watershed leg. he's improved a shitload on playing the softer parts with restraint and playing most of the ghosts etc

GR is his best work IMO.

I bought Still Life a couple of months ago and it was the first time I had actually heard the album.
I would say that his drumming on that record is very boring and uninspired. I just had to say that.

he fucks up fairly noticeably in lamentations, especially the heavy set (iirc he fucks up ma, tla, tdf)

studio-wise he was perfect, live-wise mike has said that lopez was inconsistent with some of the trickier beats and his double bass.

that's funny, because axe is solid on the double bass parts while lopez was always fluctuating tempos in every single boot I've heard dating back to 2001.

are you talking about the first US leg of the gr tour, where they played the songs at slower-than-album tempos? and it sounded like axe's second kick wasn't miced up, that's how slow he was playing? this was especially noticeable on deliverance and bwp. not sure why it happened, possibly inexperience playing the parts on those songs.

axe's dynamics have improved a lot since he started with opeth...it's noticeable if you compare shows from the first US GR leg, to the first US Watershed leg. he's improved a shitload on playing the softer parts with restraint and playing most of the ghosts etc

I smell Axe-fanboy-ism.

Dude, I've seen him fuck up live a couple of times - I think Lamentations stands out in that sense, cus it wasnt in the middle of a huge tour, he was in better physical shape. I don't mind the "fairly noticeably" fuckups on that DVD to be honest, and I work as a soundengineer (not too seldom recording drummers).

This being said I still consider Axenrot a better drummer for Opeth in a live situation, by far.

hm, needless to say; the added ending on the lamentations dvd, closure. Now thats brilliant playing!

GR also has some really good parts I guess, I think this is widely accepted as Lopez best album? I've also heard many acclaim deliverance for being such a record.

I am inclined to agree with those voices on deliverance, it just wouldn't be the same without lopez, he adds so much depth into that album and I think it would have been too raw without lopez doing the drums.