Lopez's Drumming...

First of all, for the kiddies, there is more than one kind of blast. I can think of at least 6, maybe 7 different blasting patterns I often hear drummers use, not to mention the drummers who use them more as a long, powerful accent than an actual beat. Then there's blast tempo changes and blast polyrhythms and hyperblasting and all the different double-bass rhythms used underneath and all kinds of other stuff. So, no, blasting is not 'talentless'.

Second, Martin should do fucking blast beats, cause he'd do it better than anyone if he did, and then Opeth would become unchallengable as the best band ever. (Listen to the band Scarve, sound like hardcore Opeth with blasts.)

Third, I like the word 'Whakooomba'. :lol:

lopez is a amazing drummer, he does what the song needs and keeps in perfect time, and he uses his double kick wisely not just senseless like other drummers who just do double kick on every goddamn song (lombardo). I love the fill just before the chorus of in my time of need

Moonlapse said:
To give them some credit, blastbeats can be used somewhat tastefully. Just consult Emperor's 'Prometheus'. One of the most brutal, chaotic yet strangely melodic CDs I've ever heard, and Trym being Trym blasts through most of it. Yet, it fits the heavy/melodic contrast that the album creates.

Sometimes i swear Moonlapse is fucking recording me! Stop co-oping my tastes! :tickled:

Lopez is very groovy. But I wish his drumming was a tad more "technical". I would like to hear him incorporate some techinical death style drumming, like Hoglan and Reinert. That would make him completely kick-ass! :headbang: But I would understand how that might jeopardize the overall sound of Opeth, though.