Lopez's Style..

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
I was curious if anyone knows of any drummers with style similar to Lopez?

I hardly hear anyone that sounds like him. People always talk about how creative Mike Portnoy is, and while he's a great drummer he just doesn't do anything for me. The same with many others...

I guess it's that Lopez changes stuff up a lot and his usage of cymbals IMO is great. He changes it up fairly often, but not too much and he doesn't showboat. He just adds little accents that make his drumming great.

In BTPISIO...he does the same thing, until 34 seconds in then he adds a *tink tink tink* on top of what he already had (I dont know anything about drums)

Just little things like that :)

Phil Collins on the older Genesis stuff reminds me alot of Lopez's mellow stuff with the accents and perry diddles. He was great.

Drummer from Mastadon is cool too, I guess. Haven't heard enough stuff to give a real good opinion.

As soon as our band releases an EP, you'll probably enjoy my drummers drum work. Very Lopez inspired.

Danny Carey of Tool is my personal favorite. I could listen to him drum until I die and I wouldn't be bored. You can pick out any track from what they've done and get a good sample of his drumming. In my ears, being a classically trained pianist, he's got a very "orchestral" manner of drumming. I haven't heard anybody else play it like he does. :) He's not repetitive or boring in any way.

[Elek] said:
In BTPISIO...he does the same thing, until 34 seconds in then he adds a *tink tink tink* on top of what he already had (I dont know anything about drums)

Or in Leper Affinity... 1:17-1:18

crash crash crash crash

(Sorry- I'm having a Lopez appreciation moment)

Ahh, thank god somebody else appreciates him!!!! ( and posts it ).
That part in leper, crashx2, crashx2.

About By The Pain I See In Others, I don't know what you mean by *tink tink tink*, but between snare hits he'll hit a crash twice (snare, crashcrash, snare), then snare. then snaresnare highat, snaresnare Tom(low pitched).

The more accurate description would be *tink tink*.

My favorite fill is actually right after that. Crash, Snare, Crash, Snare, Crash.

highathighat snare +crash. at 40 seconds. heh those 2 fills are great before it goes into the ownage section after that. I wonder, like EVERY OTHER drum part, how he came up with it. Probably just messing around on the kit. It follows guitar, so maybe Mike Riffed it first, then Lopez copied.

If you don't know what section i'm taking about it's the bassx3 snare, bassx3 snare. then steady double bass with snare snare, snaresnare.(double bass ends last snare hit and the 3 bass drum hits immediately start again, so it's some number divisible by 2 then +3 before the next snare) Greatness. then the 4 count fills.

These kind of things are the things that he usually forgets to play live, since there's a lot to remember, and it would be boring playing it hundreds of times. He probably didn't remember it anyway. You know, that day he was "feeling" that, and when he plays the song another time, something else will just come to mind.

But, when i rehearse the songs myself I like to play exactly like he did recording it, I don't have to, but it's more of a challenge and it's cool, becuase I'm playing what I'm hearing. Also, I want to make sure that I can play him EXACTLY.

Anyway, sometimes he nails a part live that I know is coming and it's GREAT. But. sadly other times it's a shitty fill, lol. Not shitty, just not the one I wanted to hear.

Ok a lot of that is really a whole bunch of shit if you aren't some sort of musician beucase you probably won't understand it, becuase i didn't tab it, i don't feel like it. haha. It's a terrible description. But for those of you who do, metal all the way.

By the way for any of you who would like for me to cover a song or clip or whatever from any Lopez stuff let me know. If it's a fill description I can play it and slow it down for you and play it again or whatever. Keep me busy fellas, bring in the requests. (Remember I can't do double bass faster than like 625bpm).

Part of that is because I never bought new pedals, they're still the pedals that came with the set, FP7210 from Yamaha or something. And the other part is becuase i'm just not that good at double bass I guess.
Just so you know, Lopez goes like 800bpm and I do 625bpm, so that's a whole lot faster.

Darfus said:
About By The Pain I See In Others, I don't know what you mean by *tink tink tink*, but between snare hits he'll hit a crash twice (snare, crashcrash, snare), then snare. then snaresnare highat, snaresnare Tom(low pitched).

It's the only thing that changes after the little 0:32-0:33 8x boom. Before it it's a constant:

*pish* *pish* *pish* *pish* *pish* *pish* *pish*

after it's

........*tinktinktink*..........*tinktinktink*........*tinktinktink*

Both of which are the highest pitch thing the drums are doing.

If that makes any sense :p

Elek said:
It's the only thing that changes after the little 0:32-0:33 8x boom. Before it it's a constant:

*pish* *pish* *pish* *pish* *pish* *pish* *pish*

after it's

........*tinktinktink*..........*tinktinktink*........*tinktinktink*

Both of which are the highest pitch thing the drums are doing.

If that makes any sense :p

Oh AHAHAHAHHA. You're talking about the Bell on the ride. Less overtone, just a *tink* that goes away with no ring. like if you slam your foot on the floor, you hear nothing after it. It gets absorbed instantly. Opposed to if you take a fork and hit a glass.

Yea I enjoy playin that too

Ok. I have it recorded. .mp3 File, how the hell do I get it up here for you to listen to it?

I can send over AIM. But I don't know how to do this whole uploading thing.

I did the beginning of By The Pain I See In Others.

[EDIT]- My aim is Darfus39 if you want it. And I am still working on the White Cluster Series of Fills before the solo. It might be up tomorrow.

You know what really captured my interest into Opeth at all?

Lopez' drumming during the mellow part in Deliverance from 1:30 on.
I couldn't believe what he was doing there, playing with so much feeling.
I detested the growls at first and almost got turned off by them but the drumming always kept me coming back.
It's also fucking cool how he variates his playing during the outro of the same song.

I really think he's the most important part of the band on that album.

OK, somethings been on my mind lately. Lopez.....What's so great about him anyways? im not saying hes bad, im sure hes an awesome drummer...but as a non-drummer, im not the best when spotting something amazing in drumming...so what sets him apart from other metal drummers?