The song Deliverance, and my comment on the drums

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
For whatever reason, I feel Deliverance is the one song that best displays the drummer of Opeth. I've seen Axe play the song three times, and he does a great job.

But, every time I hear this song I think of Martin Lopez. His deep rooted influences flowed well with Deliverance. His jazz/latin feel, his touch - in my opinion Deliverance showcased what Martin Lopez was all about. The double blast beats during the ending were great, but the little nuances Lopez added throughout the song just grip me every time I hear it on the album. Seeing lopez play it live sevral times were nothing short of awe inspiring.

I mean no disrespect to Axe. I feel Watershed is typical Opeth, meaning I truly have no feelings of decline, or that the band changes have downgraded Opeth off of the pedestal I have them on. Opeth is, and I believe with forever remain, my all-time favorite band, and each album they've produced continue to prove how good they are.

I wish I had seen Lopez play it. On Lamentations, he does a great job. My only objection with Axe is that he really slows the outro way down, and, to me, it saps some of the energy out of the song.

Good to see you again, MetalMan. Haven't seen you around here in awhile.

and keeping the basis of your take in mind MetalMan... Lopez had several records in Opeth under his belt before this song which highlights what he was all about... so I'm looking forward to hearing the song that showcases what Axe is all about sometime over the next few records.

I second what Samsara said, I tend to find member changes exciting rather than depressing (granted the new members are good, which they obviously are in this case!). It will be cool to see what axe can play, I love his work on hessian peel and lotus eater! Overall I think drums have been more prominent on deliverance/damnation and onwards, which is good, I reckon.

The way I see it, they're shitty til proven good.

And by good, I mean good enough for Opeth.

Watershed isn't the best showcase of their talent, but I too look forward to more albums.

If you think about lopez leaving, if you're having doubts: Approach the problem the other way around i.e: What would have happened if he had stayed?

I'd prefer Akesson to Lindgren; but Lopez over Axe. Axe is very good too, actually, and Watershed is an awesome album.

this.

Lindgren was amazing and it's sad he left and all, but I think Akesson will really bring something new to Opeth. It was due time for change.

i have to say that akesson seemed to play with more venom than lindgren when i saw them play. I think Mikael helped Lindgren along quite a bit in a live scenario, now it seems akesson and mikael feed off each other.

too bad i never got to see lopez in action, but i have never seen axe play it as well as lopez did on lamentations. not saying axe is poor, as last time i saw him he was fucking immense and tight as a gnats chuff.

Meh, I personally preferred Peter over Akesson, but I think they're both really good, just sometimes Fred's "shreddy" solos grate a little... Peter's solo in "A Fair Judgement" is one of my favourite Opeth moments.

And I loved Lopez, but think Axe is better suited to Watershed and that general direction of the music.

For whatever reason, I feel Deliverance is the one song that best displays the drummer of Opeth. I've seen Axe play the song three times, and he does a great job.

But, every time I hear this song I think of Martin Lopez. His deep rooted influences flowed well with Deliverance. His jazz/latin feel, his touch - in my opinion Deliverance showcased what Martin Lopez was all about. The double blast beats during the ending were great, but the little nuances Lopez added throughout the song just grip me every time I hear it on the album. Seeing lopez play it live sevral times were nothing short of awe inspiring.

I mean no disrespect to Axe. I feel Watershed is typical Opeth, meaning I truly have no feelings of decline, or that the band changes have downgraded Opeth off of the pedestal I have them on. Opeth is, and I believe with forever reamin, my all-time favorite band, and each album they've produced continue to prove how good they are.

yea, I miss Lopez and agree about deliverance, but closure live in lamentations is insane and also an excellent showcase of who he is as a drummer... love the tamborin he uses (I think he's using a tamborin) and how he combines all that with Opeth's music...which you would think it wouldn't go, but it does. Can't help buy liking it since I am originally from Argentina just next to Uruguay:headbang:!
Saying that, I saw Axe live twice (didn't get the chance to see Lopez) and I think he's incredible, he also seems a super cool guy. Mike's a good 'manager' I think, he knows who to hire, amazing musicians and amazing people!:)

sorry, the tamborin I refer to is in the studio version, he obviously doesn't use it live!!!

Vivören;7641215 said:
So far, every member switch has been for the better.

Agreed! Although I love Lopez's style and how well he fit and contributed to Opeth's overall sound. Axe is just an insane talent! He's a machine that doesn't tire. Lopez's jazzy style was great for Opeth, and Axe is more of a metal drummer which also seems to fit great.

As for Akesson's shredding, I think he tones it down quiet a bit to fit well with Opeth's sound. And anyone who's seen this tour knows that he tore the shit out of Peter's Deliverance solo.