Question to Mikael about the Deliverance riff

Vagodeoz

New Metal Member
Oct 4, 2005
Hey Mikael, I wanted to tell you that Opeth is one if my main influences, the complexity of your music is just inspiring! at least to me.. And the deliverance riff, the one in the end is brillant, one of the most incredible things I have heard in music.
I want to know all about it! :) How did it came up? You wrote it yourself? I kinda sense a little Marin Lopez touch. How long did it took opeth to play it perfectly live?

Thanks a lot!
PD: COME TO SOUTH AMERICA AT ONCE!!!!!:headbang:

I think he said in an interview that he came up with the rythm patterns at the end with a drum machine. I don't think it took long for them to play it perfect, it's not that hard. But I'm not Mikael, so sorry for trying to answer. Great song.

It really is an awesome riff. One of those riffs that any band containing Opeth fans would try playing immediately at the next band practice after hearing it - I know I did :)

The syncopation is interesting, and I love how they play it for like 2.5 minutes, layering and layering as they go with the reverse keyboard swell and chords, etc. Lopez' polyrhythmic touches are choice.

There aren't many bands that can get away with playing a riff for that long. I think one of the successes it has is that it ends up becoming mesmerizing and trance-like via the extending layering they do, and the other riff that breaks it up a tad.

Hell yeah! I'm a drummer and I love to play it, even though it took me some months to play it properly. I also can play the riff on guitar, which is a lot easier, but on drums you must do the riff with all the complicated rythm stuff and with your right hand play straight 8ths on the HH, and then it gets even more difficult intercalating one hit on crash and one on china. Pretty complicated thing to play, but then again, I like challenges :) especially musical ones.

It really is an awesome riff. (...) I love how they play it for like 2.5 minutes, layering and layering as they go with the reverse keyboard swell and chords, etc. (...)
There aren't many bands that can get away with playing a riff for that long.

I agree with you completely ... well, nearly. I can also listen to that riff for quite a while and enjoy it immensely but I think on the record they still overdid it a little. Maybe they realized it themselves cause on the Lamentations DVD it is a little shorter. Just the right length there imo.

I agree with you completely ... well, nearly. I can also listen to that riff for quite a while and enjoy it immensely but I think on the record they still overdid it a little. Maybe they realized it themselves cause on the Lamentations DVD it is a little shorter. Just the right length there imo.

Yeah, I think the shorter version on Lamentations works really well. Not sure if they do that live on a consistent basis now or what. I think Lamentations came out after I saw them on the Deliverance tour and can't remember if they shortened the ending then or not.

not that hard to play on drums until the last part where it goes "doo doo DAH, doo doo DAH, doo doo DAH"

No Mikael yet... I really wanted him to see my video :(
Anyway... it's pretty hard, what's hardest is to keep the right hand going. Especially when it starts alternating cymbals, and especially that "doo doo DAH" part :p

Deliverance was the first song I heard with opeth, I got it from a mate I met on the web via msn.

I heard it once and he sent me Harvest. Ultimately I was hooked.

Oh and the ending riff is absolutely not too long!

I love it. What makes it so great though, is the counter melody played by Mike, which saves it from being typical dime-a-dozen tech metal. Still, I'm not saying it goes crap when the counter melody goes away, because that's interesting too. But that alone, with out that melody, would get boring real quick.

I like how it goes on and on at the end there, and I agree with what's said about the trance and whatnot.

i almost fell off my chair one summer a couple of years ago when i heard that riff on national tv in a trailer for some track and field tournament.Not because i hadn´t heard it before but because of the fact that they played an opeth riff on national tv

Bump!!
I want Mikael to see my videooo!!! :'( too bad he doesn't have time to watch this kind of stuff anymore... you know, being a rockstar and all...

Bump!!
I want Mikael to see my videooo!!! :'( too bad he doesn't have time to watch this kind of stuff anymore... you know, being a rockstar and all...

Listen, genius. There is a section in our forum for members to post their own recordings. See here. I only left this thread open since through the title you appeared to be interested in the deliverance riff... your bump however shows your true interest is in getting Mike to comment on your cover. Your rediculous "Rockstar" comment is, well..... rediculous. Rather than drinking champaign in the hot tub with some whores at his mansion like some "Rockstar", you jackass.... he's busy creating another musical offering for your enjoyment, and handling important family biz.... you moron. Remove your cranium from your rectum, you dunce.

Sincerely,

Mr. S

Listen, genius. There is a section in our forum for members to post their own recordings. See here. I only left this thread open since through the title you appeared to be interested in the deliverance riff... your bump however shows your true interest is in getting Mike to comment on your cover. Your rediculous "Rockstar" comment is, well..... rediculous. Rather than drinking champaign in the hot tub with some whores at his mansion like some "Rockstar", you jackass.... he's busy creating another musical offering for your enjoyment, and handling important family biz.... you moron. Remove your cranium from your rectum, you dunce.

Sincerely,

Mr. S

:D:D:D:D....
Samsara will probably have to get himself banned now

Hahaha some guys are way too stressed these days.
I apoligize if that rockstar thing pissed you off, it was just a psilological move to get mikaels attention :p
Well I know he is busy and stuff and he works like hell to make the great music we all love him for, that is why I made that video-tribute, to give him a little feedback, and well, since it was a tribute to his music I wanted him to see it and I thought me might be interested in seeing it, and I thought posting in his forum was the best way to get him.
And yes, it was also about the deliverance riff, since I was contacting him (or thought I was anyway...) I also wanted to ask him a couple of questions.
And by rockstar I didn't mean like I do drugs and women all day long, but rather, I'm in a rock band that takes a shitload of my time and I don't have time to read comments from shitheads who have their cranium up their rectum. (Belive me, if you are in a one-man-band, you know how time consuming music can be)

*missing the days when I was a moderator on a band's forum and I made the insults instead of getting them*

Edit: And just so you know it, I was the mod of my favorite band, and I quit becouse my own band was taking me too much time...

Thanks for your apology. I was pissed to see the rock star comment (there is a history of Opeth bashing related to selling out, turning into "Rock Stars", etc. All unfounded and not something I can tolerate.... and also a history of people relentlessly posting their own recordings and self promotion which I have absolutely no patience for anymore. See: WAZ) Anyway, I guess you were made an example of. Oh, and believe me....I get plenty of insults... and usually only dish out insults to the deserving. You have certainly redeemed yourself with your apology and good attitude. Hopefully with this bit of background you'll understand my level of response. Cheers!