Quick question about heavyness, like.

I actually think that the first buildup in Closure is one of their heaviest moments. That song is overrated though.

I do compare TGC with other songs, and I think BWP is another kind of heavy.
To me, BWP is the classical sense of heavy, kinda slow, churning riffs, complemented by mellow parts. And BWP has a great ending. EDIT: Listening to it now. Heavy as fuck.

TFP (listening to it now) is also very heavy, in the same sense as BWP is.

But TGC is really extreme. In the verses, where the bass and whatever go "duh-duh duh," its kinda ominous, kinda revealing what's to come. And the chorus riff (dada-dada-da-DA-PA-PA-PA-PA!) is THE hardest riff I have ever heard, including Nile's AOTW and the entire SOAD discography. I don't really know why it makes me feel good, but it does, which is a sign of all great music.

I think all Opeth songs that I've heard kick serious amounts of ass. What a great band!!

If people are gonna say BWP, i have to say godhead's lament is up there.. shit even karma is heavier than bwp. There are plenty of heavier songs that TGC. Um, masters, wreath, demon, funeral, bwp, and more.

I would have to, like others have, question the word "heavy". I think it is all about the presence of the song and the ideas that it conveys. Some of the most powerful songs I've heard from Opeth have come off of Damnation. But in terms of general "heaviness", I would have to say Deliverance, Blackwater Park, and The Grand Conjuration

Personally I find heavy songs that have contrasting acoustic/mellow sections often sound a lot heavier. Eg. BWP, Leper, Master's. I don't find TGC heavy at all, in fact it's the only opeth song that really irritates me. That opening riff is cool, but the verse just gets on my nerves.

If you're gonna go by that 'harder to process' statement (which I agree with) I find Dirge for November pretty heavy. I know a lot of people here don't like that song (It's just grown on me, I didn't like it much before), but it's pretty intense... and just keeps going. It really creates an atmosphere imo

DeviousDVO said:
Fuckin' A .
Fuckin' Å.
I think FuneralPortrait is onto something. The contrast of soft mellow sections with an explosion of heaviness makes for a more dramatic contrast, and increases the perception of 'the heaviness' of the song, I think.

Such as, in a white room, try to find a white light. In a pitch dark room, the same spark is much more pronounced due to the extreme contrast.
(hint: my user title :) )

Black Session said:
MAYH and Deliverance have some of the heaviest opethsongs .. so I would say go and buy them! ;) what are you still doing on the forum while you could be discovering some new opeth! lucky bastards for whom there still is new opeth to explore! :p
nawwwwwww:ill:

3/4 of their songs are heavier than TGC. You'd be stupid to think it's one of their "heaviest" ones. There's just like one heavy riff.

KjeXXXer said:
Is there a heavier song than The Grand Conjuration, and if so: on which album can it be found?

(I have yet to complete the Opeth discography - missing Morningrise, MAYH and Deliverance)

The reason why I ask is that on the Lamentations DVD, just before Deliverance, Mikael states that it is one of the to three heavyest Opeth-tracks. This got me thinking: Which are the other two, and does it match TGC (which is the heaviest I've heard - I know alot of you dislike it)?

Grateful for explanetory replies,
KjeXXXer
dude.. a fair judgement is harder... seriously though
its liek
leper affinity
masters apprentices
p much anything from still life...
just about all songs are harder and heavier than tgc.. it is a good song.. but a loottt of opeth is heaviuer

N-MAYH said:
rap song? what?
think about it, there's a part where mikael growls " White faced, haggard grin
This serenity painted death
With a halo of bitter disease
Black paragon in lingering breath", there's an "uh" and a "yeah" that kinda remind you of something a rapper might do.
but anyway, if i were to approach the word heavy in terms of subject matter rather than riffage or musical sound, or whatever it is you guys are using heavy to refer to, i would have to say, imho, that harvest or to rid the disease have to be opeth's heaviest songs, either one can be interpreted as a suicide song, which is certainly a "heavy" topic.