Quick question about heavyness, like.

the beginning of 'April Ethereal'
the beginning and ending of 'Karma'

overall, MAYH is definitely Opeth's heaviest release

I would go with BWP, Deliverance, and DOTF.. But thats my interpretation of heavy, and as it has been mentioned there are many different interpretations of heavy. In some ways even A fair Judgement fits into this category because it goes from extremely "light" to unexpected heavy at the end. So there is another look at the situation.

I think Serenity Painted Death.. it is afterall about a murderous rage lol, and when mikael growls 'Took Control, Claiming My Flesh' its purely demonic and evil as hell lol.

SacredReich said:
You'd be stupid to think it's one of their "heaviest" ones.
Thanks for your input. Guess I'm just stupid.

Heavyness to me is all about the music, usually kinda slow, grinding riffs. The Damnation themes are heavy, yeah, but they don't appeal to me in that way because I've never experienced what those songs are about.

I find Shed by Meshuggah quite heavy.

I think MAYH is their 'heaviest' cd cause the riffs/drumming tends to be the most destructive sounding (which is how I define heavy, basically it's a matter of how much it ROARS, double bass attacks tend to help the matter as do lower notes in the riffs). I don't feel like Deliverance is that heavy cause it sounds too damn clinical (the guitars aren't the nasty raunch of MAYH and the bass drums sound a lot thinner), but that might have something to do with the fact I loathe that album. Ghost Reveries even sounds 'heavier' to me just cause the guitars have a wetter, thicker sound to them (though yes, the music is generally not as fast and intense as deliverance).

As for MAYH, I'd say the heaviest songs are Demon of the Fall and maybe Karma (the intro at least!). It's their best cd, regardless, so go get it immediately.

Still Life also definitely has some heavy riffs, the drums on it sound similar to MAYH with them not sounding all that great but definitely sounding loud and devastating. Some of the riffs are just plain evil on that one, too...one part that stands out as exceptionally heavy to me is on "The Moor" when the growls come in towards the beginning, that riff sounds like Darth Vader entrance music or something. Godhead's Lament also definitely has some moments like that.

KjeXXXer said:
It's the heaviest I've heard to date. Haven't heard all.

That makes sense because you don't have MAYH or Deliverance where most of the songs on those albums are heavier that anything on GR.

Braighs said:
That makes sense because you don't have MAYH or Deliverance where most of the songs on those albums are heavier that anything on GR.
So I hear. I'll have to pick it up someday..

I think that in the sense of what hardcore fans think about it, GR is equivilent to The Black Album, because you (in general) hate it when newish fans come on here and rant about it. *raises hand and waves it about* We've got the same thing over at encycmet.

So my question is: Can MAYH be compared to Master of Puppets?

KjeXXXer said:
So I hear. I'll have to pick it up someday..

I think that in the sense of what hardcore fans think about it, GR is equivilent to The Black Album, because you (in general) hate it when newish fans come on here and rant about it. *raises hand and waves it about* We've got the same thing over at encycmet.

So my question is: Can MAYH be compared to Master of Puppets?

I think Morningrise is more the 'master of puppets,' it's the one the most tr00 of the tr00 metuhl people say is their best, and there is a healthy amount of people that say every single album since it is shit (which I guess means it's also their AJFA?!). MAYH is where they changed styles the most, basically every album since that one is playing off the same themes, they just have been getting steadily lighter and more melodic. It's an apt comparison in SOME cases maybe, it's hard to really compare the two bands' careers.

I think that fans that started at BWP or D1/D2 are sorta like the guys that got into Metallica at Reload...there's another considerable tier of fans that say they turned into boring crap with BWP and have been getting progressively lamer.

I guess this would make GR their 'st anger' even though IMO it's their best since MAYH :p

wankerness said:
I think Morningrise is more the 'master of puppets,' it's the one the most tr00 of the tr00 metuhl people say is their best, and there is a healthy amount of people that say every single album since it is shit (which I guess means it's also their AJFA?!). MAYH is where they changed styles the most, basically every album since that one is playing off the same themes, they just have been getting steadily lighter and more melodic. It's an apt comparison in SOME cases maybe, it's hard to really compare the two bands' careers.

I think that fans that started at BWP or D1/D2 are sorta like the guys that got into Metallica at Reload...there's another considerable tier of fans that say they turned into boring crap with BWP and have been getting progressively lamer.

I guess this would make GR their 'st anger' even though IMO it's their best since MAYH :p

here's another thing where I'm kinda different: I got into Tallica at St. Anger, which I love. But, here's the Clue: I love all Metallica records (apart from TBA). I don't get into genres or specific albums, I get into bands, I love all of Tallica, SOAD, In Flames and Opeth..

You got into them at St Anger?! You might be the only person on earth to have done that...

I like all of their albums besides that one, I find it entertaining in small doses (like, if I listen to about one or two songs I like it), but any more and it makes me very annoyed.

BurningSky said:
If people are gonna say BWP, i have to say godhead's lament is up there.. shit even karma is heavier than bwp. There are plenty of heavier songs that TGC. Um, masters, wreath, demon, funeral, bwp, and more.

*squeaks* so many good songs.... *gets shivers just thinking about it*

hey the first metallica album i really listened to was st anger, and i liked it, having said it i havent really got into any other metallica apart from s&m. They're a bit german, and not as good as opeth.