Quick question about heavyness, like.

KjeXXXer

Let there be Opeth
Dec 7, 2005
west Norway
Is there a heavier song than The Grand Conjuration, and if so: on which album can it be found?

(I have yet to complete the Opeth discography - missing Morningrise, MAYH and Deliverance)

The reason why I ask is that on the Lamentations DVD, just before Deliverance, Mikael states that it is one of the to three heavyest Opeth-tracks. This got me thinking: Which are the other two, and does it match TGC (which is the heaviest I've heard - I know alot of you dislike it)?

Grateful for explanetory replies,
KjeXXXer

"Blackwater Park" - Blackwater Park
"Master's Apprentices" - Deliverance
"Demon Of The Fall" - My Arms, Your Hearse

I think those are heavier than TGC. And the Lamentations DVD was made before they even started Ghost Reveries, so TGC wouldn't fall into the Top 3 Heaviest Songs at that time.

Godhead's Lament said:

I think those are heavier than TGC. And the Lamentations DVD was made before they even started Ghost Reveries, so TGC wouldn't fall into the Top 3 Heaviest Songs at that time.
Of course, that's obvious.
I'll agree with BWP. allthough that has some mellow parts.. but it's still very heavy, but in my opinion not as heavy as TGC (I know you're sick of me ranting on about this song but I just love it).

Master' is very heavy too.. But the heavy parts aren't as good, me thinks..

Demon.. is this the Opeth Song (tm), capital O and capital S? Because the crowd goes apeshit in the dvd when they chant for it to be played..

It must be awesome.

MAYH and Deliverance have some of the heaviest opethsongs .. so I would say go and buy them! ;) what are you still doing on the forum while you could be discovering some new opeth! lucky bastards for whom there still is new opeth to explore! :p

KjeXXXer said:

Well who's to say what's heavy to one person is heavy to another? For me, the MAYH, SL, BWP material is the 'heaviest' just because some of it is the hardest to process, aurally.

If there was a competition of which Opeth songs were the heaviest, you'd most likely find the largest percentage on Blackwater Park. The Leper Affinity, The Funeral Portrait and Blackwater Park I could easily pass off as some of the heaviest.

I personally don't think anything on Ghost Reveries is all that heavy. It's all quite easy to listen to.

As Moonlapse stated, "heavy" is a subjective term.

I've always considered The Funeral Portrait to be Opeth's heaviest, heavier than Demon of the Fall, a song who many feel is their heaviest.

The Leper Affinity
DELIVERANCE
Wreath
Master's Apprentices

I would consider Deliverance to generally be Opeth's heaviest album...
Blackwater Park or My Arms Your Hearse would be the next best places to look for really heavy Opeth...

I would agree about Ghost reveries not being that heavy. Its got some parts. But it is all very listenable. I would definatley say the Leper Affinity. And Blackwater Park as it has no Clean Vocals throughout and one of the best endings a song could possibly have.

Moonlapse said:
Well who's to say what's heavy to one person is heavy to another? For me, the MAYH, SL, BWP material is the 'heaviest' just because some of it is the hardest to process, aurally.

If there was a competition of which Opeth songs were the heaviest, you'd most likely find the largest percentage on Blackwater Park. The Leper Affinity, The Funeral Portrait and Blackwater Park I could easily pass off as some of the heaviest.

I personally don't think anything on Ghost Reveries is all that heavy. It's all quite easy to listen to.
i think this is the first time i've encountered this definition of heavy.

imo, heavy != hard to get into
many times, heavy stuff is more straightforward (thing tgc or master's). deliverance is probably the heaviest album.

anyway, comparing songs by heaviness doesn't make too much sense because of everyone's perception of heavy being (even if only slightly) different.

KjeXXXer said:
chances are he made that "fact" up on the spot as something interesting to say about the song.
"hey, this next song is like.... one of our top 3 heaviest songs!"

now every other Opeth fan watching the DVD is trying to decipher all the hidden meanings...

No offense OP, but I cannot beleive you like TGC so much. For an Opeth song, I must say, it's pretty terrible.

BWP is definitely one of the heaviest, as others have said. I just want to say that you cite the mellow parts of BWP as to why it's not as heavy, but it's really one extended part and every riff in BWP is harder than TGC. I guess the thing is that the only part of TGC that seems heavy to me is the part in the middle where he growls "THE GRAND CONJURATION". The verses are some of Opeth's softest. Once you get MAYH, compare the verses of TGC to When. Or even off of BWP, compare the verses of TGC to the 'verses' of The Leper Affinity, Dirge for November, Funeral Portrait, all of BWP.

It's cool that you love the song so much, I just don't see why you think it's so heavy. Granted I would also say that Ghost Reveries is their least heaviest album, Damnation included. The mood and emotion of Damnation is darker and heavier than the sonics of Ghost Reveries by far.

Godhead's Lament said:

damn straight