Lopez' Greatest Moments

I also don't know jack #hit about drumming, but I love most of the drum parts on Deliverance and Ghost Reveries.

By the pain I see in others ~2:00, omg. :worship:

I love it when Lopez used Hamster Style.

lmfao!
"Dad....I don't think I'm going to do Hamster Style anymore.."

"Thats nice"

Ok back on topic, I don't know how you can say his drumming never impressed you until GR. His drumming on GR was fucking awesome but so was everything before. He even kicked ass in Amon Amarth.

the part in the GR documentary where he plays ghost of perdition in the studio. owns all souls on earth

The entire GR album is just exquisite. At least drumwise, if nothing else.

I completely disagree. The takes are cool but it's so quantized. I actually can't stand the drums sometimes, they end up sounding so fake. Especially the 'groove' section in Beneath the Mire.

The drums takes on BWP work perfectly. Nothing overly fancy but all very tasteful. Damnation is good, and Deliverance is quite impressive.

I'm no drummer so I'll just list some moments which just sound REALLY good.

6:31 of The Grand Conjuration. It's not particularly fancy drumming but the way it works polyrhythmically with the riff is pure fucking genius.

5:55 of Ghost Of Perdition, I just love it when drummers put a couple of open to closed hi-hat hits at the end of their beats. Sounds awesome.

4:14 of Windowpane, the change to the ride and the little snare rolls.

1:58 of Blackwater Park. Very glad he resisted the temptation to go nuts with that and it just made the simplicity of the riff VERY effective.

3:21 and 6:17 of The Leper Affinity, indeed any uses of his 6/8 clave sounds awesome.

For me, lopez doen't have moments, I like everythink he does. maybe in MAYH not so much, but all the rest is just so nice drumming!

For me Opeth have never been a band where the drums sticks out that much,it´s more about the guitarwork. But i think he always did a good job.

I´m not saying the drums are bad on opeth records, quite the opposite. Lopez is a good fucking drummer, but opeth has always mainly been about vocals and guitar melodies to me. Aka what makes them great.