Martin Lopez, and the Double Paradiddle

Bierce85 said:
He probably picked bad cymbals. Paiste's are better than Sabians IMO.
Theres no better or worse. I saw red labels, so they were Paiste 2002's, made famous by John Bonham himself. Its not that they were bad cymbals, they didn't blend with the music as well, as his cymbals were all oversized, overpowering, lacking finesse and a wide pallate of colors.

Its all personal preference, but I find the high end Sabians (AA,AAX, HH, HHX lines) to be almost untouchable in terms of craftmanship, quality and sound. Their simply amazing!

I am a drummer and have also noticed Lopez's use of the double paradiddle beat that he uses. I don't think that he overuses it though, whenever he uses it, it seems to fit well with the music and it's not like he does the same thing for too long of an amount of time. I mean, that's like bashing jazz drummers and their use of the basic jazz beat or rock drummers for theirs, except, you don't (or at least I haven't) heard a whole lot of people use that sort of beat.

And on the subject of Axe, I hope he does well, but I am however a bit worried about his ability to mesh with everyone else in the softer sections. I saw them at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa Oklahoma and while all of the harder songs were played very well (And I was definitely focused intently on that) I was a little disappointed in his drumming on Closure.

urinalcakemix said:
Theres no better or worse. I saw red labels, so they were Paiste 2002's, made famous by John Bonham himself. Its not that they were bad cymbals, they didn't blend with the music as well, as his cymbals were all oversized, overpowering, lacking finesse and a wide pallate of colors.

Its all personal preference, but I find the high end Sabians (AA,AAX, HH, HHX lines) to be almost untouchable in terms of craftmanship, quality and sound. Their simply amazing!
I also noticed he was using 2002's and I actually prefered them to Martin's Sabians. I'd have to disagree on the high end Sabians being the most untouchable as Paiste signatures have the most expensive and rigorous production methods of any cymbal, and the sound is incredible as result. I defenitely like Sabians a lot though, and if I weren't such a dedicated Paiste nut, I'd surely pick Sabians over Zildjian or Meinl.

Bierce85 said:
I also noticed he was using 2002's and I actually prefered them to Martin's Sabians. I'd have to disagree on the high end Sabians being the most untouchable as Paiste signatures have the most expensive and rigorous production methods of any cymbal, and the sound is incredible as result. I defenitely like Sabians a lot though, and if I weren't such a dedicated Paiste nut, I'd surely pick Sabians over Zildjian or Meinl.
Im not knocknig Paiste by any means, but I think Lopez's batch of Sabians fit with Opeth's style much better than Axes' 2002's. When you get into such high-end cymbals, their all going to sound great, its just what colors suit you the best. In Opeths (and mine), Sabians do the job for me. Maybe one day I'll convert to the dark side, but for now, Im more than fine with my Sabians.

ChrisEmerson said:
Interesting

though i didnt think this was 'the lopez beat' - that refers to something else doesnt it?
Nope. This is it...This topic seem to be recurring as we had the same exact thread like a year ago with all the tracks listed that contained the "Lopez Beat" and at what exact time but without GR, obviously.

And may I add that this is a fairly simple beat that alot of prog/latin/jazz drummers use, though not as profusely as Lopez.

urinalcakemix said:
Im not knocknig Paiste by any means, but I think Lopez's batch of Sabians fit with Opeth's style much better than Axes' 2002's. When you get into such high-end cymbals, their all going to sound great, its just what colors suit you the best. In Opeths (and mine), Sabians do the job for me. Maybe one day I'll convert to the dark side, but for now, Im more than fine with my Sabians.
Sounds like a good deal, and I just realised you're on the PDF too.. See you round' here and there..

ViCyniC said:
Nope. This is it...This topic seem to be recurring as we had the same exact thread like a year ago with all the tracks listed that contained the "Lopez Beat" and at what exact time but without GR, obviously.

And may I add that this is a fairly simple beat that alot of prog/latin/jazz drummers use, though not as profusely as Lopez.

Are you sure?

I thought the lopez beat was something like...

The Moor: 2:32 - 2:48

This is the best way i can think of describing what I thought it was (and still think it is):

1 bass
3 bass
5 bass
6 bass
7 snare
9 snare
11 snare
12 snare
(repeat)

urinalcakemix said:
O RLY? Yes, Im active on PDF, mainly in Chit-chat, do you use the same user handle? sounds familiar.
Yes, but I HATE chit-chat. It's 90% trendy kids saying stupid shit. I try to stay in the higher-end forums like the Masters, Reference and MAsterworks as those seem to be less frequented by 16 year old morons.

ChrisEmerson said:
Are you sure?

I thought the lopez beat was something like...

The Moor: 2:32 - 2:48

This is the best way i can think of describing what I thought it was (and still think it is):

1 bass
3 bass
5 bass
6 bass
7 snare
9 snare
11 snare
12 snare
(repeat)

That IS the Lopez beat, ghosting on the snare on the other beats.
BSBSBB SBSBSS OR
RLRLRR LRLRLL = Double Paradiddle = Lopez' beat. Must have missed that one in my scope through

(OT) Axe currently uses Sabian cymbals.

63214443.n9z0dDRt.IMG_8856.jpg

I'm not a drummer, but am I the only one who enjoyed Closure live, much more than on Lamentations?

Of course this was pretty late in their tour...

Frosties said:
I'm not a drummer, but am I the only one who enjoyed Closure live, much more than on Lamentations?

Of course this was pretty late in their tour...
Live it was amazing. They took what they did on the Lamentations DVD (and tour?) and made it even better.