Lopez' Greatest Moments

The Seeker

Jan 8, 2006
WA
www.myspace.com
It's awesome to hear how Lopez has/had progressed over the years, from MAYH to Ghost Reveries. I had always thought that he was a good, expressive drummer that did a fine job for Opeth, but I was never really blown away by anything he did. That was until Ghost Reveries.

I think Lopez really showcased a refined and super expressive approach on Ghost Reveries. One my favorite Lopez moments of all time isn't an awesome double-bass flurry or one of his interesting fills, it's his very specific utilization of ghost notes in Baying of the Hounds, at 3:43. The decision to drop the ghost notes in at that very moment, without any preceding or proceeding is absolute genius in my opinion. The beat eventually changes to included the ghost notes throughout the entire beat, but the way they are initially dropped in and executed in that particular section just makes my day.

Another great moment in this song is the beat he utilizes at 7:20 > The interplay between the snare, hi-hat and ride cymbal is quite clever. As a drummer, this type of linear (jazz influenced) polyrhythmic beat is more interesting than your latest, run-of-the mill, hyper-speed blastbeat that every other metal band on the planet is doing right now.

Anyway, I didn't intend to get up on a soap box or anything. What are your favorite Lopez moments???

It's awesome to hear how Lopez has/had progressed over the years, from MAYH to Ghost Reveries. I had always thought that he was a good, expressive drummer that did a fine job for Opeth, but I was never really blown away by anything he did. That was until Ghost Reveries.

I think Lopez really showcased a refined and super expressive approach on Ghost Reveries. One my favorite Lopez moments of all time isn't an awesome double-bass flurry or one of his interesting fills, it's his very specific utilization of ghost notes in Baying of the Hounds, at 3:43. The decision to drop the ghost notes in at that very moment, without any preceding or proceeding is absolute genius in my opinion. The beat eventually changes to included the ghost notes throughout the entire beat, but the way they are initially dropped in and executed in that particular section just makes my day.

Another great moment in this song is the beat he utilizes at 7:20 > The interplay between the snare, hi-hat and ride cymbal is quite clever. As a drummer, this type of linear (jazz influenced) polyrhythmic beat is more interesting than your latest, run-of-the mill, hyper-speed blastbeat that every other metal band on the planet is doing right now.

Anyway, I didn't intend to get up on a soap box or anything. What are your favorite Lopez moments???

Definately IMO an Akira Jimbo Wasabe technique. Akira is one of Lopez great influences... as well as mine.

Mix

I don't know jack #hit about drumming, and I know it's been discussed to death but I love the end of Deliverance. I don't care if it's hard or easy to play; to me it's mesmerizing. In fact I just finished listening to the song before checking the forum and I was in heaven.

I'll have to check out the parts you describe from Baying of the Hounds, it's not one of my favorite songs of theirs but I've learned from experience that I can change opinion of any given Opeth song at any time.

BTW, the lyrics on Deliverance are so creepy/dark. I have my music all on computer and it's all hooked up to my main system and my big screen tv, so with Winamp I can use minilyrics and watch/read the lyrics right along with the songs - it's pretty cool.

i think his drumming on blackwater park is pretty straight down monotone and boring. But his last three efforts D/D and GR are a fantastic showcase of a drummer that really knows how to accent the music.

i´m a drummer so i would probably know what you meant if you were speaking swedish,can you explain what you mean with ghost notes?

The bit right at the beginning of Raiders Of The Lost Ark when all the natives are chasing Indy, you can see Lopez for a brief second, he's playing one of the natives. He's the one that's screaming. In my opinion everything he's done concerning Opeth pales in comparison when he did in Raiders. Such raw emotion.