My Arms, Your Hearse
April Ethereal : 1:55 (a variant)
Demon of the Fall : 1:48

Blackwater Park
The Leper Affinity : 3:10, 3:23
The Funeral Protrait: 3:04, 4:41

I probably missed a few...;)

JoeVice said:
you all know what i am talking about....he does it in many songs...its that cool groovy...ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti....used on every album since mayh....i think that beat deserves to be dubbed "the lopez beat"....especially if other bands start copying it...ya know thats how it worked with the blastbeat and the triple-time thrash/punk beat. its not like 50 bands started it by themselves at the same time. one guy did it, people thought it was cool, and now it sets extreme metal appart. So, in the sad event that martin's beat ever spreads throughout the music world, (which i doubt), i think it should be recognized.

Haha, yes this one is used in a lot of old prog-music as someone mentioned. I think there are a few beats on Camels masterpiece ´Moonmadness´ that sound alot like it.
And I think it´s time for Lopez to stop doing it now, im honestly kind of bored with it. ;D

Kung Keno said:
Haha, yes this one is used in a lot of old prog-music as someone mentioned. I think there are a few beats on Camels masterpiece ´Moonmadness´ that sound alot like it.
And I think it´s time for Lopez to stop doing it now, im honestly kind of bored with it. ;D
I kinda agree. It's time for him to "find" some new beats, or maybe invent some of his own. Maybe learn some tricks from his idol Gene Hoglan. ;)

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
I tihnk hes talking about the beat in the outro "run away"riff of Demon, Another beat imilar to that in the outro to ForesTof October, he does the same thing only on the snare not hats.
Lopez wasn't the drummer on Orchid.

When they played live here, my friend screamed out to Mikael during the gig: 'How fast can Lopez play!!??'. So Mikael kept egging him on and he was playing the fastest double-kick I have ever... ever heard in my life. It was fucking amazing.

Kung Keno said:

Yeah, I'm sick of it too--funny thing is my drum teacher taught me this beat when we were going over samba stuff, and I'm like "Hey! That's the thing Lopez always does!" Seriously though, he should try mixing it up a little--there are a lot of variations on it at least.

Moonlapse said:
Lopez wasn't the drummer on Orchid.

When they played live here, my friend screamed out to Mikael during the gig: 'How fast can Lopez play!!??'. So Mikael kept egging him on and he was playing the fastest double-kick I have ever... ever heard in my life. It was fucking amazing.
worship.gif

I hate that fucking beat. That's the first time I've ever literally yelled at my CD player after hearing that stupid thing so many times. You can hear it in practically every other song. It's not even good to begin with.

Lopez is an OK drummer as far as metal goes. He's plays pretty tight and almost never screws up, but he has never really impressed me, I don't find him all that creative. Especially after I heard that he comes up with the beats before he even hears the song. Which is just fucking stupid.

Eon Blue said:
I hate that fucking beat. That's the first time I've ever literally yelled at my CD player after hearing that stupid thing so many times. You can hear it in practically every other song. It's not even good to begin with.

Lopez is an OK drummer as far as metal goes. He's plays pretty tight and almost never screws up, but he has never really impressed me, I don't find him all that creative. Especially after I heard that he comes up with the beats before he even hears the song. Which is just fucking stupid.

i'm sure that he molds the beats in his head to the music. i have to disagree with you on him not being creative. He really does sound like no other drummer in metal. he doesn't have to rely on speed to make him a good drummer. he relies on dynamics, and groove....imo, hes got a lot of groove.

JoeVice said:
i'm sure that he molds the beats in his head to the music. i have to disagree with you on him not being creative. He really does sound like no other drummer in metal. he doesn't have to rely on speed to make him a good drummer. he relies on dynamics, and groove....imo, hes got a lot of groove.
mike portnoy does this as well.

Lopez´ drumming is SO amazing on the Lamentations DVD. In "The leper affinity" and "Masters´ apprentice" Lopez´ drumming makes you sit through, even though they are not among Opeth´s best heavy songs IMO. Also the entire Damnation set + Harvest is a notch better due to his incredible drumming. Of course it´s also nice to hear the raw sound of the guitars, but Lopez´ drumming is just unbelievable live. I really hope the release like a live CD sometime.

At this point, i could certainly agree that the "Lopez Beat" (which ive heard a lot of times before used by other drummers) is way overused. I really like Lopez's drumming, he's pretty good, but i think youre overrating him a bit. I mean, he does improvise live, but he uses the same ghost notes combinations for every track. Surely they work, but when you see, for instance, Gene Hoglan playing, i mean, he's just another thing, so complete. I think that Martin's drumming has evolved, i particularly like what he did on Damnation and Deliverance (the final part of that track is really great).I agree that he uses his hi-hat tastefully. But i dont think that he's doing anything incredible by any means, i would recommend (im sure you all know him) to listen to Henry Ranta's drumming on Soilwork albums, he's just so groovy and his cymbal work is perfect.
One other thing i would like to add is that , seeing Lamentations documentary, i assume that Martin's parts are the first ones to be recorded, and that way, he isnt able to give his 100%, simply beacuse he doesnt know where and how the solos and the vocal lines and inflections are.
Well, just my opinion : )

One thing I don't like so much is that he improvises so many of the fills during the live gigs. It's like I'm standing there about to air drum one of the fills or cymbal hits, but he'll do something different. It makes me look stupid. Anyway, that one beat does pop up a lot. And the Deliverance ending is not as difficult to do as it sounds. I can't do it, but I can come close and get through the first five measures or so of it.

MasterOLightning said:
One thing I don't like so much is that he improvises so many of the fills during the live gigs. It's like I'm standing there about to air drum one of the fills or cymbal hits, but he'll do something different. It makes me look stupid. Anyway, that one beat does pop up a lot. And the Deliverance ending is not as difficult to do as it sounds. I can't do it, but I can come close and get through the first five measures or so of it.

HAHA, that's awesome--I had the same problem and thought I was alone in the world as far as that goes. :)

Try to break that beat down, it really isn't that hard (even when he starts switching between the crash & china for the downbeats/upbeats).

prowlergrig said:
wtf, the drums in the moor begin at 2:30 (my version at least) and the first beat isn't anything like the 'lopez beat'
Oh yes, it is. Note the "variant"...but it's essentially the same. I'm using the original CD version.

No,it's really not that difficult, as marfrozzi says, the switching of cymbals makes it "sound" difficult, but it's really the same as playing it on just one.