amazing beat typical for lopez

realdark

New Metal Member
May 1, 2004
so there is a beat lopez seems to like as he uses it in many songs e.g. Master's Apprentices 8.35 till end.
i tried to figure it out. that's my result:

6/8: (pointed fourth=208 -> very fast "prestissimo')

||: x-x-xxxx-x-x :||

Listen to the ride in master's apprentices at the given position. this beat is fu**in awesome, just makes me remind that there's no other band coming up to such a rhythm.
What do you think about this one?

edit: i forgot: each char in the pattern above represents a 1/16 thus there are 12 characters at all. 12*1/16 = 6/8, you know...

yeah, but i must correct myself. it's rather another metrum with longer notes - maybe 4/4, well, no, i think it's 2/2 or something like this - than the 6/8 i wrote.
well, i found another one he uses this beat:
Check out funeral portrait about 4.43. it's more present in this song.
in my opinion this beat has a certain kind of drive i could not explain. somehow it flows on and on as it repeats itself for it's a quiet shortly pattern, but on the other hand it never gets boring. hmmm, just noticed again that i am really into their music. i think these are the little details making up the difference between opeth and other death-metal bands.
well, i don't want to hurt some particular fans but lots of bands - metal as well as other genres - use these default patterns, riffs, melodies..you know so i don't have to explain.
hmm, just came into my mind....

i know what your talking about...there was a thread about it a while ago...and yes, it is awesome. some people get sick of it, like its overused or something. they are also fans of blast beats?

realdark said:
so there is a beat lopez seems to like as he uses it in many songs e.g. Master's Apprentices 8.35 till end.
i tried to figure it out. that's my result:

6/8: (pointed fourth=208 -> very fast "prestissimo')

||: x-x-xxxx-x-x :||

Listen to the ride in master's apprentices at the given position. this beat is fu**in awesome, just makes me remind that there's no other band coming up to such a rhythm.
What do you think about this one?

edit: i forgot: each char in the pattern above represents a 1/16 thus there are 12 characters at all. 12*1/16 = 6/8, you know...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2976062&postcount=21

Longinus said:
Isn't 3/4 6/8 ? ..

all depends on how you wanna break it down...3/4 typically has a slower waltz type feel to it...a 6/8 beat can also be directed in 2/4.

1 23 4 56 = 6/8...six beats to the measure, eigth note gets the beat
1 ** 2 ** = 2/4...two beats to the measure, quarter note gets the beat
1 23 1 23 = 3/4...three beats to the measure, quarter note gets the beat

all of these and more would fit into that beat...but 6/8 seems to work the best.

JoeVice said:
1 23 4 56 = 6/8...six beats to the measure, eigth note gets the beat
1 ** 2 ** = 2/4...two beats to the measure, quarter note gets the beat
1 23 1 23 = 3/4...three beats to the measure, quarter note gets the beat
Not really.Actually, in 6/8 the 1 and the 4 gets the beat whereas 3/4 (put on a 6/8) the 1,3 and 5 gets it.
About this:
6/8: 1 2 3 4 5 6
3/4: 1 2 3 4 5 6

edit:well it's hard to see but if you have a closer look you might see that i tried to mark the corresponding beats as bold ones.

i know what u mean, i know the exact beat and i love it, although, and im ready to get flamed, but Portnoy uses the same fill in A Change of Seasons, i noticed it just recently, but lopez kicks portnoys ass, but yeh

realdark said:
Not really.Actually, in 6/8 the 1 and the 4 gets the beat whereas 3/4 (put on a 6/8) the 1,3 and 5 gets it.
About this:
6/8: 1 2 3 4 5 6
3/4: 1 2 3 4 5 6

edit:well it's hard to see but if you have a closer look you might see that i tried to mark the corresponding beats as bold ones.

sorry dude, the way you put it, the 3/4 does not work with the 6/8...the pattern you put down for 3/4 is called a hemiola...where the beat is off of the usual rhythm...creating an off beat feel. an example would be the vocal part in the verse of in my time of need. you didn't even match the downbeats...maybe i am misunderstanding what you are trying to say. are you counting at the same tempo? the downbeat cannot be on a 3 and 5 in 3/4...it just doesn't work that way.

even if so, his example of 3/4 is still what is called a hemiola. in 3/4, the downbeat is on the 1...thats it.

try tapping out a few measures of 3/4 with the accent on the 1, 3, and 5. without counting past 3...this is what that would be

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3

it essentially sounds like a 2/4 or a 4/4 time put over the 3/4 time. that is a hemiola.

Well, i just considered the partition of the eight notes.
You have 6 eight notes in a 6/8 as well as in a 3/4.
You can represent (just consider the calculation) a 6/8 as to pointed fourth, or in 2/4, as to fourth filled by a triole.
Nethertheless, the beat is on the first and on the fourth eigth note:
1 2 3 4 5 6
A 3/4 contains 6 eigth notes, too, but you have the beat each two eigths.
so it goes up like this:
1 2 3 4 5 6

If you take the 6/8 as a 2/4 with trioles, it will have two thirds of the metrum the 3/4 has when you put eight by eigth.
So, there exists a particular equivalence which only derives from the calculative point of view.
Actually every musician who takes care for the music and the musicial thinking will shoot everyone who says: it's equal whether to use a 3/4 or a 6/8. Just screw down the metrum and you have even a 2/4.
Well, it just goes offtopic now.

i just want to get this amazing beat now. give a fuck to the rhythm analysis.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
i could explain it in german but i lack language skills, sorry.
then explain it in german. at least i do understand it as i am from germany as well ;)

realdark said:
Well, i just considered the partition of the eight notes.
You have 6 eight notes in a 6/8 as well as in a 3/4.
You can represent (just consider the calculation) a 6/8 as to pointed fourth, or in 2/4, as to fourth filled by a triole.
Nethertheless, the beat is on the first and on the fourth eigth note:
1 2 3 4 5 6
A 3/4 contains 6 eigth notes, too, but you have the beat each two eigths.
so it goes up like this:
1 2 3 4 5 6

If you take the 6/8 as a 2/4 with trioles, it will have two thirds of the metrum the 3/4 has when you put eight by eigth.
So, there exists a particular equivalence which only derives from the calculative point of view.
Actually every musician who takes care for the music and the musicial thinking will shoot everyone who says: it's equal whether to use a 3/4 or a 6/8. Just screw down the metrum and you have even a 2/4.
Well, it just goes offtopic now.

i just want to get this amazing beat now. give a fuck to the rhythm analysis.

i gotchya now...you were breaking the 3/4 beat down with eighth notes...i thought those were quarter notes at first. this led me to think that not only are there only 3 counts (not 6), but it would not have made sense to put the beats on 1, 3, and 5. i was counting the 3/4 beat in quarter notes. that is where out mix-up was.

but if you could...please explain the terms triole and pointed fourth...i'm not familiar with those.

when you break an 1/4 note in three parts (all three parts have the same lentgh) you get three triols. those are called 1/8triols because their length is nearest to a normal 1/8 note.
if you devide a full (1/1) note into three parts you got three 1/2triols. got it?

a pointed 1/4 is just as long as the 3 * 1/8. when a note is pointed (tho i doubt that this is the correct english term) it becomes longer, namely one and a half time as long as it was before. a pointed 1/8 note would then be as long as 1,5/8 which is 3/16...

i get the triole thing, its essentially a triplet. its used on the double bass at around 2 minutes on master's apprentices. i'd have to hear a specific example of the pointed 1/4 thing. i'm sure i have heard one before though. that math doesn't help me much.