How do Beat Detective with Cubase (tutorial) ¯\(°_o)/¯

Seriously, this thread is beyond awesome...
Just out of curiosity, what macro do you use Lasse? "Next Event + Separate" or "Next Event + Separate + Next Event"? I've been using the second one so that it cuts the section only at the start of each event... seems more logical to me, but sometimes it gets weird when 2 events are over each other and starts to cut at the end of the events -.-'
Should I just avoid events in the same area or can I use "Next Event + Separate"? Don't know if it can create a mess during quantization...

Guess the best way is to compare and hear the results...

Seriously, this thread is beyond awesome...
Just out of curiosity, what macro do you use Lasse? "Next Event + Separate" or "Next Event + Separate + Next Event"? I've been using the second one so that it cuts the section only at the start of each event... seems more logical to me, but sometimes it gets weird when 2 events are over each other and starts to cut at the end of the events -.-'
Should I just avoid events in the same area or can I use "Next Event + Separate"? Don't know if it can create a mess during quantization...

Guess the best way is to compare and hear the results...

I used to use the second one also.

when there are double-hits (like a kick and a snare at the same time) I just delete one from the key track and keep the one I wanna base the Q on (usually the snare)

So earlier today I started chopping up a song for a thrash metal band with a very fast, intricate drummer (lots of hits) in fast tempos. The guy plays about as precisely as is humanly possible, but modern competetive production demands that even the best drummers get "gridded."

Unfortunately, once the slices are made, Cubase behaves unusably slowly. It's hard to scroll, zoom, make selections, etc., and sometimes I am waiting for 30 seconds or more for the UI to respond. I tried putting in the crossfades, and the entire system froze, forcing me to hard reset.

This is really a bummer, and I have a fast machine (Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 gigs ram, multiple 500 gig drives, etc.) Any tips? I've tried various wave display modes in Cubase with no noticeable benefit in redraw speed. I'm exploring my other options right now, much as I love Cubase and plan to continue using it as my fulltime DAW, I may have to break down and use Pro Tools to edit drums - I would just have to buy the MP Toolkit to do the real Beat Detective on multiple tracks (the whole point, obviously.)

So earlier today I started chopping up a song for a thrash metal band with a very fast, intricate drummer (lots of hits) in fast tempos. The guy plays about as precisely as is humanly possible, but modern competetive production demands that even the best drummers get "gridded."

Unfortunately, once the slices are made, Cubase behaves unusably slowly. It's hard to scroll, zoom, make selections, etc., and sometimes I am waiting for 30 seconds or more for the UI to respond. I tried putting in the crossfades, and the entire system froze, forcing me to hard reset.

This is really a bummer, and I have a fast machine (Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 gigs ram, multiple 500 gig drives, etc.) Any tips? I've tried various wave display modes in Cubase with no noticeable benefit in redraw speed. I'm exploring my other options right now, much as I love Cubase and plan to continue using it as my fulltime DAW, I may have to break down and use Pro Tools to edit drums - I would just have to buy the MP Toolkit to do the real Beat Detective on multiple tracks (the whole point, obviously.)

You have to bounce as you go in order to prevent the daw from slowing down. I usually handle songs in verse/chorus/verse type sections to get around this slow-down, or edit drums in their own project.

You have to bounce as you go in order to prevent the daw from slowing down. I usually handle songs in verse/chorus/verse type sections to get around this slow-down, or edit drums in their own project.

This is a session of just drums, and no plugins, first of all. The song is about 5 minutes, so I could take it section by section I suppose, although that would require perhaps setting up separate sets of track folders for each section of the song, for both the drums and the key tracks, so that Cubase knows when to stop chopping with the macro, since it involves sitting there holding down the hotkey for an indeterminate amount of time. :loco:

How's the time correction in Logic 9 for drums? Updating PT to from v7 to v8 and getting the MP Toolkit will cost more than buying Logic 9 new...

Lasse,

Thank you so much for your video explaining how to do beat-detective style editing in Cubase. Incredibly useful! :D

I just have one problem - when I press "Q" to snap the events to the grid, nothing happens! In fact, having looked at many forums including Cubase.net, there seem to be many frustrated people looking for this feature. And yet you are doing it in your video!

Do you have any idea where I might be going wrong? The best I could do was to find a function in the Project Logical editor but this only works for 16ths and 8th notes, not the selected quantization resolution.

If you can help me solve this, I would worship you as a god!

Many thanks,

Rob K

Indeed I have. What I'm doing seems to be exactly the same as you (except I'm on a PC, but I don't think that should make any difference..)

Having looked at the Key Commands menu, the "Q" shortcut only seems to apply to MIDI events anyway. :confused:

Go into the Key Commands menu and assign "Q" to the action "Quantize". Save/ok and then quit Cubase, start it back up and try it again.

Late on his but Shane if you haven't solved this yet definitely get PT over Logic for drum editing. Flex mode is still in it's infancy with lots of unpredictable behaviour and hides way too much behind the scenes, so you have way less control than you do with the down and dirty Beat Detective method which gives you access to all your chopped regions and crossfades. Logic won't actually cut up your tracks or display any of the crossfades it is doing, it is just supposed to "work" and you aren't supposed to worry about it. Unfortunately with anything remotely complex, it just doesn't work more often than not and you are left with no way to edit the results. It's either edit by hand from scratch or deal with screwed up flex results, can't edit the flexed tracks at all.

Hi 006- Q is already assigned to Quantize in the Key Commands menu (as it is by default), but "Quantize" only appears under the MIDI heading so I'm assuming this doesn't apply to audio events as well. This is why I'm confused as to how Lasse managed to get Q to apply to his audio events in his video..

Hey Guys! :kickass:

This is my first post in this forum, but I spent countless hours in reading... I will post some more stuff soon (will do a little rate my tone/guess my amp thread ;-)

I have a question about this whole Cubase quantization thing (I use Cubase 5).

I tried Lasses method and I get some good results. My only problem is that our drummer plays a lot of triplet stuff, especially on the bassdrum and on some tom/snare fills. How do I quantize that? I tried quantizing only the Bassdrum with a triplet 16th setting and quantized the rest with a normal 16th setting. Now I get problems with bassdrum bleed, not from toms and snare, I gate/cut them, but from the overheads. What to do? :cry:

Thanks

Chris

RobK: Even though it is listed under MIDI, it does apply to audio events. I use Q all the time to quantize audio events, and never had to change any setting to do so, I only suggested redoing that key command in case it was unbound for some reason.

AHChris: You should be able to use a hipass on the OH tracks that would kill most of the kick drums in the OH. I usually start at 300Hz and go up from there, only ever going as high as 500Hz. Typically after that the rest of the bleed, if any, will be covered up by guitars/bass/vocals/etc. anyway so it's nothing to worry about. Unless it's super loud in which case you did something wrong when tracking it.

i always cut one step before and after the actual event. then i mark the event and add a sharp fade in/out.
this helfp getting a smooth crossover between different takes. cutting takes exactly and adding crossfade
makes me always feel like there is something missing.

cheers
S.

AHChris: You should be able to use a hipass on the OH tracks that would kill most of the kick drums in the OH. I usually start at 300Hz and go up from there, only ever going as high as 500Hz. Typically after that the rest of the bleed, if any, will be covered up by guitars/bass/vocals/etc. anyway so it's nothing to worry about. Unless it's super loud in which case you did something wrong when tracking it.

Thank you! I already highpassed the OHs with the drums soloed, but I had to set it to around 1kHz to remove the bassdrum bleed, which pretty much fucked up my snare and cymbal sound...
I have to try if the other instruments will cover it up...