Need help from all PT beat detective guru

Mikaël-ange

Nov 7, 2008
Here my problem... I recently tryed beat detective way for drum pocketing. Work great except when i need to pocket a snare for exemple, hit before the bit.

Many peoples just pocket in relation to the grid, move audio far back and crossfade before double transcient occur, and call it a day!
But you have the same piece of audio before and after crossfade.

What i do is simply go to previous it, cut after initial transcient, back down to my next edit and use tce trim to stretch my old transcient until it fit over the new repetition.
Now i trim back with standard trim my region before my pocketed transcient, crossfade; go back to my cut between my unaffected and time stretched back half transcient. Put a crossfade, adjust the bound and voila, done.

This method work great but is a workflow killing process.
So how you guys deal with it?
I ask it because i read some of you can edit a simple song in 10mn using BD.
Do you pay attention to this thing after your drum are pocketed or do you simply don't care?

Thanks to everyone for reading this...

ok so what I think you're saying is that when you move a snare for example, the audio connecting that hit to next hit isn't long enough so you have a part that repeats? and you what to know how people deal with that?

If that is in fact what you were asking there's really only 3 ways to deal with it.

1- Do what you're doing and time stretch a piece.

2- Find another similar hit within the song and replace it all together (what I'd do)

3- Leave it alone and say fuck it.

What do you have your trigger pad set to? I find that if you seem to be getting alot of these doubled parts, try increasing your trigger pad and sometimes it'll just go together better.

Mikaël-ange;9949112 said:
use tce trim to stretch my old transcient until it fit over the new repetition.

So you're timestretching inbetween hits? Certainly not something I'd do to be honest, tends to give very bad sounding artifacts in the high end.

I just use the "fill gaps and crossfade" once I'm done conforming and call it a day. The only time I have problems is if a hit has been really far out and you end up getting a extra, stray hit near the crossfade. If that happens I normally find another bit of the song to replace that hit/section from.

Mikaël-ange;9949112 said:
i read some of you can edit a simple song in 10mn using BD.

Seriously? I don't see how anyone could possibly get through a song in 10 minutes unless it's a VERY simple rock song. Certainly not metal anyway with the changes in kick patterns (8ths, 16ths, triplets etc) that happen frequently.

The drummer has to be really bad for you to not have enough audio to slip edit. It is up to you as an engineer to know how good the take have to be to be able to be edited. If you the files are being send to you then you can only do as good as the material let you.

The gap between two edits can be quite big for BT to be able to fix it thou.

And no way someone would be able to BT a song in 10min if it is somewhat complicated. The fills always take some extra time to do.
And if it has complicated kick patterns etc (damn you triplets) then it could take hours..

I edited a song in 4 minutes in Reaper once :) there was no kick because it was programmed separately and only one fill, 2.5 minute track.

To the OP, the beat detective clone I programmed for Reaper actually does what you're doing automatically if you want it to. In PT though I would just do what CFH says, copy and paste a different hit if the gap is really big. Honestly just quantize the whole song, then fill gaps and crossfade for everything at once, then go back and listen with your ears. Any time you hear something that sounds like a bad edit, drop a marker, then when you are done go back through your markers and fix those parts manually.

@Chris: i know how to do this. My problem is that technic slow down editing... When you move fast with BD, switch to that when needed is time consuming as fuck.
I want to know how people handle the switch between various technic the most faster way.

@Trevoire: you don't timestretch between entire it but only between previous tail hit and next hit. You don't hear artifact because initial transcient remain intact and unstretched.
Will post screanshot and samples if you want. ;)

@Christian: this occur if you move element hit 5ms before grid to 3ms after the grid. So it occur with great drummer...

Major improvement today!
After considering Chris advice about trigger pad, i re read the whole love PT thread.
So now i understand why many people haven't to deal with that.
I used trigger pad between 3 and 5 ms but Mr Murphy posts was eyes opener. Work so much better with trigger pad set between 10 and 20 ms. You get close to zero double transcient. Just did A/B test between BD with new trigger pad and TCE stretched method, can't hear any difference.

Thanks for everyone help, my editing workflow is must faster now :headbang: