Pro tools beat detective crash.....

brianhood

No Care Ever
ptsux.jpg

Ok...so i've gotten this error in the past. It has only come up when attempting to crossfade drums using beat detective, and it usually only happens once every two or three bands I do. Basically what happens is once it gets into processing the fades, it comes up with this error. It will continue to process the fades, but it will not auto backup. If i try to save manually, pro tools instantly crashes. Everything seems to work normally after i get this error, unless i try to save, and the error pops up every time it tries to auto backup.

In the past, usually restarting pro tools fixes everything, and it just renders the fades upon opening pro tools. For this band, however, any time i try to render fades, it does this. No exception. Even when i restore an auto backup and try to render the fades without beat detective, it still gives me this error. I've been trying to fix this since 3:30 today(it's 8pm now), and had no luck.

Installed pt 8.0.4cs2 and still had the same problem.
tried saving the session as a copy and running it off the copied session. same problem.

Also, every time i load a backup where it crashed while making fades, pro tools processes the fades that had already been process, thus making tons of duplicates. After dozens of reloads today, my session folder for 10 drum tracks and scratch guitar is 80gigs:lol:
the saved copy i made is only 2 or 3 gigs.

I've searched the internet far and wide for an answer as to why it's doing this, and how i can fix it.

This might sound like a silly question, but has your drive filled up? Sometimes I get problems like this and rebooting works fine. Have you tried opening a new session and then importing session data? Sometimes that helps when all else is lost. Only ever happens when editing and applying fades.

This might sound like a silly question, but has your drive filled up? Sometimes I get problems like this and rebooting works fine. Have you tried opening a new session and then importing session data? Sometimes that helps when all else is lost. Only ever happens when editing and applying fades.

over 100gigs of free HD space on the drive i'm using.
Already tried importing to a new session. Just uninstalled and reinstalled pro tools 8, as well as the updates. Still the same problem

What about smoothing it in smaller chunks? Probably won't really make a difference but worth a shot...

doesn't make a difference unfortunately

From the look of the error window I'm guessing you're on a pc, I've had a similar problem on a mac and it was because the permissions on the session folder got screwed up. Somehow the main folder, or one of the enclosed folders got set to read only, instead of read and write. I don't know if pc's are similar in the way folder's are set up and stuff, but it might be worth looking into.

From the look of the error window I'm guessing you're on a pc, I've had a similar problem on a mac and it was because the permissions on the session folder got screwed up. Somehow the main folder, or one of the enclosed folders got set to read only, instead of read and write. I don't know if pc's are similar in the way folder's are set up and stuff, but it might be worth looking into.

I would go with this. Had something like that happen to me and I'd set one of my drives to read only, I don't even know how I did it.

Yea i get this error just out of the blue every once a week or something. I just close protools right then and open the last auto backup file or if i saved just before that happened. Mine is not specific to beat detective though. Just something I guess im pretty used to and it does not happen that often.

I've had some kind of error similar to this, can't remember exactly what it was unfortunately, but the only time it happened was when I had three songs that I had tracked all in the same session, and it was after having edited and crossfaded the drums for the first two songs, and I was about half way done with the third. TONS of edits/fades, like your screen shot. It stopped letting me add new crossfades, and after trying to do crossfades to smaller selections of audio to "get around" the issue, it finally got to a point where I couldn't even save it anymore, and then couldn't even open that session again. Fortunately, I just opened the most recent auto saved session, consolidated the edited drums, and everything went fine after that...

Yea i get this error just out of the blue every once a week or something. I just close protools right then and open the last auto backup file or if i saved just before that happened. Mine is not specific to beat detective though. Just something I guess im pretty used to and it does not happen that often.

This exactly

Go into PT preferences and disable auto save and than save the session, exit the session delete DAE, and the Databases and your good to go. I think you may be able to enable auto save after this, maybe. I find myself doing this often to fix problems, And also importing session Data as well. Hope i could help

Hate this bug. Don't think it's linked to beat detective. I've had it after recording tracks.

Clear unused regions
Trash your prefs and databases (especially for each drive). Delete fade files folder for this session too.