Beat detective questions...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So it took me about 2 hours but I feel like I know beat detective inside and out now following James' workflow he outlined in the "I love PT" thread. The only problem I am running into is that it is not identifying my selections correctly. I am selecting from the first transient to the beginning of the first transient in the next section but if say both of those hits are a tiny bit early, Pro Tools identifies the selection as one bar earlier. Is it normal workflow to have to manually enter what the proper bar/beat selection should be or am I making my selections incorrectly? It's not really slowing me down at all but sometimes I do get the "selection appears incorrect, please enter the correct bar/beat locations or capture the selection" error which was throwing me off. I discovered that if I just hit analyze again after that error though it will analyze my transients and doesn't bother giving me the error again so it's no big deal.

So far I am getting through relatively complex metal songs in about 2 hours and they sound fantastic when completed, Beat Detective is great!

I'm pretty sure your selections should always start and end on a bar, not from the transients, then just hit "capture selection" and you should be all good.

I'm pretty sure your selections should always start and end on a bar, not from the transients, then just hit "capture selection" and you should be all good.

Actually I think the selection should start before the transient you want to move and before the transient of the next section you want to bd, because you're selecting the audio you want to move, not the bars you want to quantize. Anyway that's what I always do, but I don't have a ton of experience using BD.