Quantizing drums without multitrack Beat Detective?

KeithTidd

Robot Penis.
Apr 26, 2008
Vallejo, CA
www.myspace.com
ok guys, i need your opinions/tips on quantizing drums without multitrack beat detective.

I've noticed that some of you guys don't use beat detective to quantize drums, and i was curious how you do it. I remember one of you splitting the files at transients and using PT's quantize function to quantize it to the grid. I've also remember there being a way to quantize everything quickly using beat detective LE. I can't remember exactly how to do it though, something about region groups.

I tried quantizing with elastic audio, and i always get nasty artifacts/obvious edits. what methods do you use?

In reaper i group tracks, cut to transients for the fastest of the drums in that section, then quantize. Then i clear up the mess i've made by hand.

Reaper sucks majorly for drum editing

create a key-track with the hits on which you wanna base your quantisation (for ex. kick and snare).
put that tracj above your drumtracks..
make a selection on your keytrack and analyze with BD. hit ";" (the key below "p") to move the selection onto your drumtracks (one after the other). hit "seperate" BD will split the tracks based on the triggerpoints created from the key track.
after you've split the last of your drumtracks move the selection to the first one again ("p") and hit "conform"...again one track after the other.....and back to the first one...hit "smoothing" (that actually works on an editgroup as well, so you don't have to do each track seperately).