Quantizing Drums in 2011-What you doing?!

I have been using Beat Detective with some slip editing here and there for the last 2 years for all my quantizing......today though I went and fooled around with elastic time only to find out that its SOOO MUCH FASTER, yeah it takes a little quality away but fuckin shit, it cuts my quantizing time almost in half!

Anyone else getting away with using elastic time?

So what you using these days?

Fuck that man, great way to ruin your phase coherency and stereo field.

Still slip editing on the albums I've done so far this year, but need to give C6's new BD clone a shot. Just ordered PT9, as well, so I may have a go with Jval's tab-to-trans+slice+BD for smoothing technique.

Yeah, I used to use elastic time a LONG time ago, on my own stuff. I didn't really notice much of a difference, but when I did a shootout between before and after it was like night and day. Split editing is the way to go.

I'm using Reaper with Adam's BD addon. If the song is well-played it's a breeze, and Reaper is so snappy.

PT8 (soon to be 9). Tab-to-transient, align to grid, time stretch if needed, and then BD to smooth it all out.

Still the most transparent way to my ears.

BD and/or slipping. It's worth noting that in 2011 I'd like to hear more drumming that isn't edited so rigidly it sounds programmed. I'm not "that guy" but I'm bored with that sound and am ready to hear the drummer a little more again.

BD and/or slipping. It's worth noting that in 2011 I'd like to hear more drumming that isn't edited so rigidly it sounds programmed. I'm not "that guy" but I'm bored with that sound and am ready to hear the drummer a little more again.

Despite doing exactly that for what is more or less a living, I have to agree. I will say that a lot of it is down to sample selection, as well, but the editing does play a huge part in it.

Using tab to transient in reaper, then using Adam's Autopocket to smooth.. So easy, so fucking fast.

THe thing is that there aren't that many good drummers. I have recorded 1 drummer that didn't needed editing, and that is my prodigy brother. So until people begin to be talented again it ain't gonna happen haha

Am I the only one who still does it by ear? I hate machine quant even with different grades of swing/humanization engaged in cubase or protools. Too much work sometimes, I know but the result is much more pleasing to me. Maybe I do it this way cause I'm a drummer too and I know how I want it to sound: real and with slight imperfections to give it groove. Some few miliseconds make a big difference to me.

I'll take a look to that Reaper customs by Adam and mess a little just out of curiosity.

The only thing that I see Elastic Time having over Beat Detective/Slip editing is if the drums are playing a closed hi hat groove beat detective will sometimes fuck up the hi hat or add little glitches before the kick or hat, where elastic time seems to not do that but yeah I feel you guys on how it does take away quality.

Slip-Editing FTW. I'm slow as all Hell with it, but when I'm done, the drummer still sounds natural, just incredibly talented.

The only thing that I see Elastic Time having over Beat Detective/Slip editing is if the drums are playing a closed hi hat groove beat detective will sometimes fuck up the hi hat or add little glitches before the kick or hat, where elastic time seems to not do that but yeah I feel you guys on how it does take away quality.

Slip editing avoids this problem by default. User-controlled the entire way.