Drum quantization with Elastic time?

KeithTidd

Robot Penis.
Apr 26, 2008
Vallejo, CA
www.myspace.com
Anyone have any luck with quantizing drums using elastic time? I've been attempting it, but it hasn't been working perfectly for me yet. It's super easy and quick to do, but i hear alot of artifacts even when doing minimal quantization. I can't feasibly use beat detective at home because i just have m powered. Also, if I can figure out the elastic time way, there's no need for beat detective.

it depends what settings you have on.... it only really becomes artiacty when you REEEEAAALLY move things around..

try adjusting the decay..

preferreing the good old slice-Q-xfade method over elastic time, in both DAWs (PT and cubase)
Hi LSD! Is there a good tutorial how to quantize drums in Cubase?
I'm going to help my friend's band with their home made album.
It will be my first time with real recorded drums.

I have ProTools Le 7.4 but I have opened the program a few times :Smug:
Prefer to work with Cubase ...

Dimi

I agree with Lasse.
I prefer the sound of doing things the 'old fashioned way'. I ran into an amazing plethora of problems when using Elastic Time, and especially when combining Elastic Time with Beat Detective and quantization.

Elastic time is no doubt way faster and a more intuitive way of working, but you can get some serious artifacts and flamming.

You can get around the Beat Detective limitation by tabbing to transient and cutting at each hit, using quantize to adjust the time, and then beat detective for edit smoothing and xfading.

Unfortunately, I've never found a way to edit drums in Cubase that's as time-efficient as BD.

I agree with Lasse.

You can get around the Beat Detective limitation by tabbing to transient and cutting at each hit, using quantize to adjust the time, and then beat detective for edit smoothing and xfading.

Yeah, i know how to get around the beat detective LE limitations, it's just so slow. I mean i'm really slow when using multitrack beat detective, so single track is even slower. I can quantize an entire song in like 15 minutes using elastic time, but the results are less than satisfactory. Beat detective seems to work well though.

I've also tried adjusting the Decay time, and It's still not perfect.

I haven't tried, but I was really impressed with the sound quality of the X-Form algorithm on a voice stretched surprisingly far... Does it really not do drums very well?

Yep I did a whole track with EA. The major problem that I was running into (and I did like 40 edits before realizing) was warp markers not being created on all tracks in the group. I have not done anything major though, I was working on a song with a pretty solid drummer.

Also did 4 tracks of guitar and 1 bass track with EA and it was tits. :lol:

I get good results with each. With either one you need to listen to every edit.
With EA you can use a lot less quantization (like every bar rather than 1/6th note) and have everything in between adjust to fit between edits, something that just can't be done with BD.
Lately I prefer EA because its far less of a hassle to make adjustments if I notice a glitch further along in the mix. I can even change the tempo and hear the results instantly, rather than spend half a day BDing all the tracks for every change.

I don't find the BD LE work around very time consuming actually, it works well and gets the job done. Its just like collection mode in multitrack BD.
[I will write the tutorial, I swear]

Learn to do it right, and with practice, it can be done faster.

elastic times great to do slight tweaks to the drum tracks, however id still reccomend beat detective to slice the transient hits up, quantize that way and then use the fades option to join em together again, it sounds alot more natural. elastic audio is stil really powerful, but it can take some tweaking

I use elastic audio in the rhythmic algorithm after I've done the appropriate edits. Once your happy with everything switch to X-form. It takes time to render so make sure that you don't need to make anymore changes.