Quantizing in Pro Tools using Elastic Time

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
Anyone using this?

I am curious if it takes other people a very long time to get drums all lined up using Elastic Time/Quantizing in Pro tools?

I just started using it, and its pretty amazing but man it takes forever.

The drummer I tracked was almost tight enough with the click to go with the song as is, but obviously it will sound better quantized and does.

Its just when he gets over a 32nd note off it snaps to the nearest 16th note. Once this happens all over the place it can easily mess up a good sounding take. Once I fix everything its perfectly on time and sounds better, but it takes me like 5 hours to do a single 3 minute song.

If this sounds about the same as what other quantizers out there are working with to gain perfection, I'll live with it.

It just takes me from completing 4 songs in one day start to finish to almost 2 days of just Drum Editing and then wrapping up other tracks.

Im getting faster learning all the hot key shortcuts for manipulating the warp markers and such so I will obviously get faster, but I just want to make sure this sounds normal to take so much time and if I need to start quoting customers for more studio time if they want professional sound as far as timing or if we will go for the quick best as you can with minor kick drum fixes here and there.

And this is a death metal song along the lines of Origin/Decaptitated. Lots of 16th not drums, blasts, kick, tom rolls really fast and close together.

Alot more to deal with than a rock or modern metal band in terms of what the quantizing has put in place.

i can do a 3 minute song with a decent take in cubase in about 45 minutes slip editing every hit

I guess I could see a possible chance at faster editing with free control in slip mode eyeballing it all.

It would still be within 95% of the gridline which will sound perfect compared to being off within even 70% or worse.

I might give that a try and see if I move any faster.

lol

I would never have thought of this as Equipment, more likely a production question I guess.

I was looking at it more like a general question regarding time taken to work on editing so seemed like a generic thread.

:p

I havent been here for quite some time so I havent seen anything lately on Elastic Time but I'll put some more search efforts in.

one thing that makes it alot faster for me is that you can make the actual wave forms transparent so there isn't any guessing as to where the beat is. Ive never used pro tools so i don't know if you can do that. also I go through the whole song slip editing JUST the snare and toms and cymbals where need be Making sure to keep everything in phase. then using the cubendo detect silence method on the kick.

im talking about blasts and double bass all over the place.

Just Kick and snare or cymbals too?

Im doing cymbals and everything locked up perfectly to the gridlines for the tempo of the song.

Essential if one is off its all off so everything has to be moved.

If I was only worried about kick and snare hits being perfect within the timing they played at that would be ultra fast.

But I am definately working on maticulus perfection in timing so every note on every track from Kick to Overhead is being groomed.

Not sure if you are doing that much in 45 min.

If so, that sounds alot better than multiple hours.

you could just snap markers to the grid by hand instead... there's no 'eyeballing', just put it in grid mode and drag em onto the lines.
5 hours is pretty crazy though... on a typical metal song I can get it in about an hour with either BD or EA... I think the longest it's ever taken me to edit a single track is maybe 2.5 hours... and that was putting technical drums onto the grid when they weren't tracked to a click!
But yeah, try going through it by hand or at least a few bars at a time so that you don't spend so long fixing PT's mistakes.

Just Kick and snare or cymbals too?

Im doing cymbals and everything locked up perfectly to the gridlines for the tempo of the song.

Essential if one is off its all off so everything has to be moved.

If I was only worried about kick and snare hits being perfect within the timing they played at that would be ultra fast.

But I am definately working on maticulus perfection in timing so every note on every track from Kick to Overhead is being groomed.

Not sure if you are doing that much in 45 min.

If so, that sounds alot better than multiple hours.

also want to add, for stuff like that try taking the kick out of your edit group and quantize the cymbals/snare/toms together. Then replace the kick with a sample and edit it separately. That should be faster and give you a cleaner sound since you won't be cutting up cymbals on every 16th note.

ps - this only works assuming you're cutting out all the bottom from your OH so there's no flamming on the kicks.

In terms of the slip editing mentioned earliest and the previous response about Pro Tools Quantizing messing everything up.....

Could I theoretically just create manual warp markers on everything without quantizing it so that it just needs a simple manual drag instead of fixing everything Pro Tools made worse?

Is that what you guys were kinda getting at? Not using the actual Quantize if it just makes it uglier?

I realize when he is dead on I can visually see that it will quantize perfectly.

Sorry if I sound ignorant. Whole new thing to me right now. But I am still gonna search through old threads.

In terms of the slip editing mentioned earliest and the previous response about Pro Tools Quantizing messing everything up.....

Could I theoretically just create manual warp markers on everything without quantizing it so that it just needs a simple manual drag instead of fixing everything Pro Tools made worse?

Is that what you guys were kinda getting at? Not using the actual Quantize if it just makes it uglier?

I realize when he is dead on I can visually see that it will quantize perfectly.

Sorry if I sound ignorant. Whole new thing to me right now. But I am still gonna search through old threads.

If you are set on using EA to quantize drums, make sure you go into the analysis view (i think that's what it's called) and get the markers where you want them. It'll make the quantize way more accurate and not a god damned nightmare.

Yeah, you can get better results audio-wise with BD, but I've found, at least for me, EA is pretty decent when done by hand a little piece at a time with songs that have simple drumming that isn't completely all over the place. It doesn't take anywhere near five hours for a song. That's what I have to settle with until I get MPTK (multi-track BD), but most of the cheap-ass demo bands aren't exactly eager to pay hourly extra for editing, anyway. Somehow they always presume editing is included in the mixing price.

alright so i started this thread a few weeks back, and have since refined my PT drum editing down to a science. Lasse will probably disagree, but my method is really fast and i can't ever detect any artifacts...this is also with sample blending in mind once i'm done. alright here's my method (which does not require multi-track BD), again:

FIRST i start by going through the whole song and doing basic cut / quantize / crossfade on either 1/4 note or 1/2 note chunks. this is VERY easy and gets everything close, atleast key transients. then i consolidate, go back over, and fine-tune with EA. it goes like this:

1. group all the drums. ALWAYS. for BD, manual slip, or EA. always.

2. start at the beginning and tab to key transients and snip with ctrl+E and tab to the next one. now what i'm trying to do here is essentially make a grid, depending on the part. let's say for example, it's a standard metalcore cheesy breakdown, in 4/4, with a crash hit at every quarter note. i'd snip at every quarter note. if there's a snare hit, i snip at the snare. if there's no snare hit but a kick, i snip at the kick, and if there's a crash hit by itself, i'll do my best to snip on the crash. that priority order is important, especially if you're sample replacing, because that's the order of important transients in room/overhead mics to prevent things from flamming/sounding weird. sometimes the cymbals are more important than the kick...just understand the reasoning here and use your best judgment.

EDIT: this part was very hard to explain. let me try again: say in the "breakdown" there's a kick, crash, and snare hit all at the same time. what i mean by prioritizing is knowing which transient to cut at. sometimes it's the earliest, usually it's the snare, and if the crash is by itself but the hit falls on a 1/4 note (or 1/2 note) then you try your best to snip it there.

but anyway...what my goal here is for each section to be diced up into chunks of all equal sizes. usually either 1/4 notes or 1/2 notes. the reason i do this is so that when i quantize, i can quantize to a definite grid resolution (either 1/4 notes or 1/2 notes, respectively) and it is completely fail proof.

EDIT: again, hard to explain. say 1/4 notes is appropriate for the passage (which it usually is.) what i'd basically end up with, after quantizing the regions, is a snip at every 1/4 note (where the click beeps) and a bunch of equal sized regions, all of which are a 1/4 note long.

3. so go through and slice up a section of a song, then (select tool) drag and select all those chunks and smack alt+0. quantize audio regions, to either 1/4 note or 1/2 note, and boom. quantized. can't fail.

4. while still selected, smack ctrl+8 (8 on the numpad, numlock on, ya doofus) to bring up beat detective. use edit smoothing, capture selection, fill and crossfade at 5ms, render the crossfades, boom, done. check it to make sure, consolidate, on to the next section.

EDIT: the LE and m-powered beat detective can do multi-track smoothing. you don't need MPTK. i don't know why, it just works.

5. after going through the whole song like this, you'll be partially quantized. consolidate! now, still grouped, enable elastic audio across all tracks. the algorithm doesn't really matter now, because we'll just be switching them all to x-form when we're done.

6. the best work flow for me is grid mode absolute, and smart tool. avoid using EA quantize for large chunks!! it's useful for a short fill, or single-track double bass/blasts, but not for large sections of multi-track drums. don't bother with it! you need to go through the whole song manually but trust me, you'll get really, REALLY fast, after a few songs.

hold the "start" key (not sure of the mac equivalent, someone chime in?) and click (in the bottom of a region, for grabber tool) to add a warp marker. you're going to be doing this a TON, so just get used to smacking every transient as you see it. after adding a bunch of markers where you want them (drum transients) you really just need to "touch" them, (in GRID MODE) with a very slight drag, to quantize and move on. say you have a fast fill, then most of the time you can get away with just selecting it, alt+0, and quantize EA events to say...16th notes. but i'll only do this for very short chunks, usually just fills, or like i said, single track double bass / blasts.

once done, give it a once-over listen, switch them all to x-form, render, and we're done.

don't forget to save-as after every few steps so your consolidates aren't permanent!

the argument against EA is a legitimate one, and that is that time stretching with complex algorithms poses a bit of a threat to the integrity of the audio itself, and with an even intermediate sized stretch across multi-track drums, you threaten the phase relationship between the mics.

i like my method, because you're already "partially" quantized, thus limiting the stretch distances. also thus far, the only times i've done this it has been with the intent of sample replacing the drums and blending in overhead/room ambience, which REDUCES (not eliminates) the abundance of phase issues. x-form seems to reduce the "weirdness" in cymbals to just about negligible with small stretches. the purists will disagree but i'm using this method on an album for the second time now and am very very excited for the end results. and you guize will certainly see as soon as it's done!

Absolutely... a huge difference.

alt+0 quantizes the region to the grid at the cut point. region conform quantizes the region to the grid at the SYNC point. Big difference.

I'll use alt+0 if im doing alot of free editing without cutting with beat detective.

Hope that helps.

hrmm...does this mean that if you tab2trans > snip > quantize, the transients are a few ms after the grid? depending on how close you snip at the transient?

this also reminds me of the trigger pad feature and it didn't quite click in my head til then... so BD quantizes the BEAT triggers, where as alt+0 just quantizes region position based on where they begin/end? this must be the case, otherwise BD's trigger pad feature would be totally useless. which it obviously isn't...heh.

EDIT:

but with my method i still notice that when i go back for the 2nd pass with EA, everything i've already quantized using tab2trans > quantize is spot on, after consolidating. even if i click the warp marker to grid it, it either moves just a few ms or not at all. so it's got to still be an effective approach