Which daws have Multitrack drum quantizing?? (besides pro tools)

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
im a happy reaper user but i fucking need multitrack drum quantizing beat detective style...

i know there are tutorials in this forum for reaper (by DigitalDeath) and cubase (by Lasse) but its not the same as having it all in a single plugin.

so is there any daw that has some kind of beat detective clone?

Supposedly Logic 8 got better with drum quantization, but from what I hear it's still not as good as the PT way of doing.

Sonar has AudioSnap, which is Beat Detective and Elastic Audio in one. So far its been pretty clunky, I must admit. The Elastic Audio version works very well but is VERY slow to render it (like an hour for a song. And the realtime render has a lot of artifacts, so you're not sure if they're going to be there after offline rendering or not, and if they are... do it all over again). I haven't really messed with the Beat Detective version, it was too confusing.

However they just updated that plugin today in a new version, which supposedly improves all of that, much better for multi-track drums, preserving phase, etc. and a better sounding stretcher.

Reaper can do multitrack timestretching which makes audio warping possible if you're prepared to split at every warp point. It's very time consuming though as the quantizing has to be don manually, and pick a good stretch algorithm as some of them don't sound too great on the overheads. I've used the dynamic split & quantize option but never been happy with the results.

I was quantizing drums in Logic 8 and I'm sure older versions could, it was just more long winded than it is now.

logic 9 has really stepped it up - it uses elastic audio style markers but moves notes using the cut move and cross fade method, so its really quick. rendering times are very good too.

Sonar has AudioSnap, which is Beat Detective and Elastic Audio in one.

However they just updated that plugin today in a new version, which supposedly improves all of that, much better for multi-track drums, preserving phase, etc. and a better sounding stretcher.

Aye - I'm looking forward to seeing how AudioSnap 2 works - too many toys, too little time to play with them.