Reaper users vs. Pro Tools users

I only just got into messing with reaper, but that is because it wasn't till version 3 that it was even usable on mac. Up till version 3 the mac version was the largest piece of shit I have ever used (and that includes ableton live).

The DAWS I have used heavy are pro tools and cubase. DAWS I'm familiar with and can work with are Audition, Reaper, Logic, and Record (I got to beta test Record).

I have to agree with Adam, out of the box I think Reaper is wacky as shit. lol

It basically stems from seeing how things generally look in other sequencers and daws. Another poor GUI IMO is the Abelton live one, it just makes me go WTF? But Reaper has some other nice things such as the metering and input selection and I found setting up I/O to be easy.

I really didn't like how Reaper is setup out of the gate. Tons of menus are not my idea of a solid easy workflow. I'm also so used to mouse tools that the constant smart tool idea turned me off pretty bad. It reminded me of Garageband and in my head from using Garageband it just reminded me of how unprofessional it is.

I like reaper a lot, When i was younger I dabbled a bit in coding, so customizing reaper was acctualy a bit of fun (props for Adam becouse i've used a lot of his mods) and I love the way it can be tailored to my needs.

On the other hands, if I ever have an oppourtunity to be employed in a major studio as an editor or whatnot, pro tools knowledge is essential, so now with the advent of PT9 i'm saving my monnies for it...

But yeah, big +1 to Adam's post, all of his remarks are completely valid.

It basically stems from seeing how things generally look in other sequencers and daws. Another poor GUI IMO is the Abelton live one, it just makes me go WTF? But Reaper has some other nice things such as the metering and input selection and I found setting up I/O to be easy.

Le me digress, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Ableton has the most brilliant GUI/Workflow ever for... a performance/composer application. It's not a DAW in the same vain as PT/Cubase/Whatever and should never be taken this way. There's close to no editing options in ableton, but then there's the live mode, which is a whole new world of it's own.

The main reason why I'm thinking of switching from Reaper to PT is the hardware inserts. reainsert is useless :(

From what I've read it calculates the delay for you on HD or you use your unit's latency on native and put it in once. Reaper pings the hardware and goes from that but it always drops out and changes. I've been hitting play 5 times on reaper before it will play back correctly and that's on a good day.

Personally I've never seen this bitching about Reaper, most people on this forum seem to really like it to be honest.

I say live and let live, if you like Reaper, cool. If you like PT, cool.

Adam, your points about the problems with the development of reaper are very important, I presume you've been in contact with them about it?

I'm sure they'd love to sell a few more of those commercial licences and it's just not going to happen without some back to basics, functionality>features thinking.

I love reaper and have used it for a good couple of years. The problems are that features are added but not finished, they need the extra 10% in a lot of areas. You can't bring up negativity on the forum or you get blasted and if you're not in the in crowd on the forum no one listens to you when you submit fr's or bugs.
It does what you want to but it doesn't do anything really well, you always seem to need a workaround for something.
/rant

I love reaper and have used it for a good couple of years. The problems are that features are added but not finished, they need the extra 10% in a lot of areas. You can't bring up negativity on the forum or you get blasted and if you're not in the in crowd on the forum no one listens to you when you submit fr's or bugs.
It does what you want to but it doesn't do anything really well, you always seem to need a workaround for something.
/rant

Yup exactly... I had to code my own versions of copy and paste in C++ for example because it doesn't work properly in Reaper across multiple timebases.

I am gonna release a new "Reaper for Pro Tools users" thing soon, especially now that we are getting import/export of all preferences in the current prerelease cycle. And now that I am a developer for the SWS Extensions, I can easily take all those macros I built and add them almost natively by putting them in the extensions and coding them with much more control than I could with macros.

PT is the tried and tested one that professionals the world over use to get world-class quality results. It's really hard to argue with the track record there. Reaper still feels like its finding its feet, and in many ways this is mirrored both by the design decisions and the needs/workflow of its userbase. Not saying it's a bad DAW... but it's certainly not what one would call 'refined' in its present state. It's much like Studio One in that sense. Where Studio One focuses on workflow, it sacrifices many of the features we've come to take for granted. Where Reaper attempts to cram a bunch of different disconnected ideas and feature sets into itself, it fails short of presenting these to the user in a straight forward, unified manner, and you end up with a DAW you essentially need to code for yourself in order to create a functional workflow. Fortunately you have people like Adam here to help you along with that... but even so, it's hard to get past the feeling that with Reaper you are a quasi beta tester.

Well put adam.
Having used reaper..albeit briefly and the DAW it's based on Sony Vegas in the past, I think it's a really good DAW, but as the others have said it does seem a little like an eternal beta test. A too many cooks scenario there.
I've got no problem whatsoever with Reaper; think it's brilliant for the ammount of money you pay.
I just get annoyed at people constanly bashing Pro-Tools and praising reaper without ever having really used it properly.
Don't get me wrong, when I was younger I couldn't understand why you'd spend that much on a DAW which didn't have X,Y+Z and didn't do E,F and G.
And then i used it...
I mean REALLY used it and I fell in love with it.
However I have admit that due to the fact that I've been using Pro-Tools (Le+Hd) non stop in a pro environment for 7 years, I may have become a little blinkered to using anything else. Changing a workflow that you've built up over a long time is no small thing, but I am hating Logic less as time goes on ;)
Last time I use Cubase it was either Cubase VST 5.1 or SX 1 (I'm getting old)

The moral of the story is.. we need to accept other peoples choice of DAW's even if we fail to understand their descision
Peace

Amateur can be musician or producer,DAW can't be amateur!Don't know if Ryan a.k.a CatharsisStudios still uses Reaper.Listen to his clips or Erik's a.k.a Dandelium.I completely removed my Digidesign Audiomedia III card from my PC and deinstalled PT6.4

I just get annoyed at people constanly bashing Pro-Tools and praising reaper without ever having really used it properly.
Don't get me wrong, when I was younger I couldn't understand why you'd spend that much on a DAW which didn't have X,Y+Z and didn't do E,F and G.
And then i used it...
I mean REALLY used it and I fell in love with it.
However I have admit that due to the fact that I've been using Pro-Tools (Le+Hd) non stop in a pro environment for 7 years, I may have become a little blinkered to using anything else. Changing a workflow that you've built up over a long time is no small thing, but I am hating Logic less as time goes on ;)
Last time I use Cubase it was either Cubase VST 5.1 or SX 1 (I'm getting old)

The moral of the story is.. we need to accept other peoples choice of DAW's even if we fail to understand their descision
Peace
This is pretty much exactly my story and my opinion.