Reaper users vs. Pro Tools users

Great post, Adam. People just need to learn to stop being so passionate about the stuff they use/like. Reaper makes you happy ? OK, then. Cool Edit Pro make you happy? Awesome. Heck, I don't like fat chicks but i know some guys that LOVE that and that is their problem, not mine.

I don't do much slip editing at all honestly. 90% of the stuff I do is orchestral work and midi editing. Just in the past year have I really expanded into bands and other kinds of music. I haven't found NOT using slip editing to be a hindrance.

Sounds like you're just DAW hopping and haven't spent a considerable amount of time with any of them, correct me if I'm wrong?
PT > all when it comes to editing. Except slip editing. It can't do that. So, erm...yeah! :p

Time enough, even read the entire manual. Minus Logic, because I only used to track a cd and that was all the studio had... at that time I was a Nuendo user and did not had the portable version of Reaper. It´s also so ridiculously easy to set shortcuts and actions in Reaper.

I don't do much slip editing at all honestly. 90% of the stuff I do is orchestral work and midi editing. Just in the past year have I really expanded into bands and other kinds of music. I haven't found NOT using slip editing to be a hindrance.

Understandable, it's not for everyone. I listed quite a few other things on my quick PT wish list too though!

hey man I take offense to that! ;)

You shouldn't hehe That was the point. I am not finger-pointing at you 'Hey, you should bang slim chicks because of...'. It is cool you liking fatties and I liking skinnies. Just different tastes, like Daws. ;)

Slip editing - Would probably be nice, but never done it so I dont know
Drum maps for the piano roll - Would be nice, but I know what notes sit where on the roll
Track templates - Dont use this at all actually
Automatic routing and track creation for multi-out VST - If it supported VST all for this.
Unrestricted ADC - I dont think the current ADC in the system will be an issue.
VST support - +10000000000000
Improved RTAS support/resource management - +10000000000000
General stability improvements - I never hear anything about the system being unstable.

nah, clean women are cleaner, dirty women are dirtier. I have a couple of stories that shall not be told here about uncleanness with both fat and skinny bitches. Back to the OT!

Then you need to be more selective of the skinny bitches you fuck ...lol

I dont fuck dirty fat bitches, I fuck what I call skinny bitches stuck in fat bodies ...lol

FUCK NO!!
fat-women-bbw-singles.jpg

OH HELL YES!!
51MUeRfpsKL._sexy-woman-depedrosa_.jpg

Slip editing - Would probably be nice, but never done it so I dont know
Drum maps for the piano roll - Would be nice, but I know what notes sit where on the roll
Track templates - Dont use this at all actually
Automatic routing and track creation for multi-out VST - If it supported VST all for this.
Unrestricted ADC - I dont think the current ADC in the system will be an issue.
VST support - +10000000000000
Improved RTAS support/resource management - +10000000000000
General stability improvements - I never hear anything about the system being unstable.

While you may not currently use slip editing, it would be nice to know it's there should you ever want to try it out.
I use Superior Drummer 2.0 as I track using an e-kit. Different SD2.0 expansions have different kit pieces and drum mappings. This would be fine if I just used stock SD2.0, but with The Metal Foundry and Evil Drums, it's much handier to have them all laid out before me.
Even automatic track and buss creation for multi-out RTAS instruments would be nice.
General performance improvement and more frequent bug fixes.

*applause*

I'd just like to point out that I had cubaseLE first, then a digi002 with LE 7.4, then LE8, THEN a combination of Reaper and PT8, and then with the departure of the 002 I'm now full-time Reaper... even though I picked up a profire2626. I haven't bought PT M-powered. The only thing I really miss is elastic audio, which is whispered to have a similar system implemented in the oncoming Reaper 4.

The biggest points you missed Adam, are the biggest selling points to me: the TINY and TIGHT coding that comes with four engineers building a product, instead of the ...dozens? hundreds? of avid engineers hacking together enormous gobs of decade old frankensteined code and bloat that was PT 7 and 8. Can't comment on 9 as I haven't used it yet!

But adam, i'm sure having the deeply rooted computer instinct, you can feel how well-coded Reaper is every time you switch from one to the other. You can just tell as you use it, yanno? I love applications that are tiny and lite and streamlined.

The OP is pretty much right on. As a lifetime PT user (since 97 anyway) I've always been intrigued by Reaper but it's always seemed like a life-time beta test where you the user were responsible for the development. Fundamentally I think this is fantastic but practically, I've always been able to step to PT and do what I needed to-- Quickly.

The OP is pretty much right on. As a lifetime PT user (since 97 anyway) I've always been intrigued by Reaper but it's always seemed like a life-time beta test where you the user were responsible for the development. Fundamentally I think this is fantastic but practically, I've always been able to step to PT and do what I needed to-- Quickly.

Reaper's development is so rapid, it won't be long catching up, feature wise - I do wish they'd sort out the usability though.

I just wish someone made an open-source PT clone, but with the added features the community wants.

Meh - I've just drank a lot of Jägermeister and came on here to say at the end of the day, who gives a flyin' fuck? Use whatever you need to.
Less fighting, more drinking! :D

The biggest points you missed Adam, are the biggest selling points to me: the TINY and TIGHT coding that comes with four engineers building a product, instead of the ...dozens? hundreds? of avid engineers hacking together enormous gobs of decade old frankensteined code and bloat that was PT 7 and 8. Can't comment on 9 as I haven't used it yet!

But adam, i'm sure having the deeply rooted computer instinct, you can feel how well-coded Reaper is every time you switch from one to the other. You can just tell as you use it, yanno? I love applications that are tiny and lite and streamlined.

Well I would hardly say my initial post was a list of things I like about Reaper, in fact it was the exact opposite... If I was listing it's selling points that would be one of them.

However, as efficient and stable as the code is, a lot of actual features are not coded in a way that covers all scenarios or always acts predictably, which is what makes the program feel a bit "shakey" overall. I find a new bug pretty much every day. The funny thing is (not to toot my own horn) the stuff that I actively participated in the implementation of is rock solid with no issues whatsoever, so it makes me wish I had been testing pre-releases since it first came out :(

Reaper 4 should be solid as hell and fantastic, because I won't let it out of the beta phase until it is ;) I will live on that prerelease forum from the end of November until January or February.

Reaper's development is so rapid, it won't be long catching up, feature wise - I do wish they'd sort out the usability though.

I just wish someone made an open-source PT clone, but with the added features the community wants.

The problem with that rapid development is things don't get finished. Even basic, basic, basic things. For example the grid... Check this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=612163&postcount=15

Not enough people are thorough with the testing because they aren't experienced enough to know what to test :/