Quantizing tremolo picked riffs...best/easiest program?

SmokeandShadow

Armchair Expert
Feb 25, 2010
Florida
Hey everyone, ive done some searching to find a good method to easily quantize tremolo picked riffs, but have mostly come up with drum quantizing discussions.

Using reaper, ive tried splitting at transients (which is mind numbing with trem-picked guitar riffs)...would I be better served getting Melodyne or Pro Tools (for beat detective)? I realize having a tight performance is key, but a quick listen to The Faceless or Abigail Williams "In The Shadow Of A Thousand Suns" reveals heavy audio editing. Any thoughts or personal methods?

Thanks for the reply. Man, I am starting to get the feeling that there is no quick way to quantize trem picked riffing. I tried the "auto-split" function that uses a gate to detect the transients, but it fails terribly.

i'm not gonna say pro tools doesn't have it's short comings, but recently i've aquired it um so far elastic audio stomps reaper to the ground. i know i can work twice as fast with di's (2 in pro tools vs. 1 reaper). you can demo and see if it works for you. i will admit i ca nnot go back to reaper for this function. btw, in pt tab to transient is jager for transcribing with midi!

Don't even try to lock to a transient with something as fast as trem picking. Use your ears and split, drag your time stretch and stick on the grid, overlap if needed. Set up auto crossfading to something short and transparent. Play back DI, is it to grid? Boom, reamp. Learn to slip edit and time stretch is cake.

I've used beat detective for this in the past. Where punching the guitarist on the face wasn't an option

The quickest way to do it is to count the notes and try to stretch a large block in one go. eg. Count 32 (or 16, or whatever) and stretch that block to fill one measure exactly. Chances are high that the 17th note will fall roughly where it should after you do this, but if not, repeat the procedure in the middle of the measure, etc. You won't need to do it on a note by note basis unless you're going for something mechanically accurate.

I have a few of these riffs in my EP, so just
- record it already properly, it should sound in he ballpark really, and transients should be moderately easy to see on the waveforms
- use the grid to see where notes should be
- manually edit every single part of the riff, and check orally (cause some hits might be hard to detect)

To make it easier I used a big boost in the DI track to make the waveform easier to read, and removed it once edited.

I would get the guitarist to play it the best possible and have the minimum editing possible, so it would sound naturally good

I do it with protools and elastic audio. But I work on DIs. Usually I don't quantize everything because it sounds really MIDI like, and i hate this. I just fix what is too wrong.. Cheers

I've been wondering how to do this as well. I use cubase sx3(soon to be 6!) What methods in cubase are you guys doing to make tremolo riffs sound really really tight (even robotic sounding)? I've been slip editing but don't see how I could slip edit parts like that where it's too hard to see the transients. Could someone explain how to do this maybe with time stretch?

You wanna do what?? Quantize guitars? thats so gay. Play good and edit by ear if you need to.

Yes, it's very gay to want guitars that don't suck.

:rolleyes:

Everyone that thinks that way doesn't realize they have probably heard edited guitars (any instrument for that matter), didn't realize it, and liked it, a zillion times. That mentality is horse shit.