Quantizing in Pro Tools using Elastic Time

yes there is joey.
enable shuffle editing mode.
when you clock on a region and move it, the audio moves inside the seperated region.
if it gets really fucked, either undo (z) or enable spot mode and click on original time stamp.
Bosh
seriously joey; hit me up any pro tools questions you have. either Pm or email or facebook me.
sound

FWIW, for anyone who didn't already know, the "joey method" works absolutely flawlessly in Reaper with no adjustments/tweaks necessary. group drums, tab to transient, alt+drag in region. auto-crossfades works wonders there, too. but can be disabled if need-be.

EDIT: ryans pointed out that sometimes the option to slip on alt+drag in Reaper is disabled. see Preferences > Editing Behavior > Mouse, third checkbox up from the bottom.

This is such a brilliant way of editing drums, makes me almost want to go back to Reaper and give it a shot... BD is amazing too though.

yes there is joey.
enable shuffle editing mode.
when you clock on a region and move it, the audio moves inside the seperated region.
if it gets really fucked, either undo (z) or enable spot mode and click on original time stamp.
Bosh
seriously joey; hit me up any pro tools questions you have. either Pm or email or facebook me.
sound

i dont have your contact info foo, or i would!

hook me up!

if anyone wants a video tutorial of my method, let me know and i'll make one. i've never heard of anyone doing it that way before and i'm honestly finding it extremely effective for me.

Please do +1!!! I have a bunch of drums that will need heavy edits and this could be invaluable! :D

haha i dunno, i've sorta decided it's not the greatest method... i'm still ironing out my workflow. if you want a piece of cake way to edit drums in PT 7.4 and you're gonna use samples and you don't mind some phase/artifacts in the cymbals as long as your shits super tight, just group the drums and enable elastic audio on each track and go to town. it's STUPID easy to do this, but like i said it will mess with your overheads/rooms a tad. wouldn't recommend it for clients that are paying more than very little. but all ya gotta do:

1. track drums to click as BEST YOU FUCKING CAN
2. group drums
3. enable elastic audio on all drum tracks, rhythmic algorithm for now
4. "warp view" on all the drum tracks
5. startkey + click at the beginning and end of a " chunk ", wouldn't make it more than a bar so long
6. in grid mode, smart tool, just "touch" the events in between your markers to grid them. it turns each "event" into a "marker" as you touch it. if you need to make a marker manually, do another start+click. there's no limit, or anything wrong, to just dropping a billion markers everywhere. long as they're on the transients.
7. drums gridded, set overheads and rooms to x-form, wait for it all to render, consolidate it all, turn off elastic audio on all tracks, and you're done.

again, this method isn't "legit", as any time stretching on drums can make cymbal artifacts and disrupt phase. but it IS very fun, and easy, and effective for tightening up...just about anything. if it's for your own bands demo, and you're sampling all the drums anyway, just go for it.

OR

go to www.beatfixx.com and have jon do it for you legit... haha.

The methodology most use in PT differs a little. I think you may need to be open to adjusting, unless you'd prefer to keep doing it in Cubase.

If going by hand, Tab to Transient is our biggest and most used tool. Tab, B, Tab, B, Tab, B until you have all your cuts at the exact places you want (normally the zero point right in front of the transient. the feature is very good). After that you can slip the regions by hand or grid them with Quantize or BD's 'conform'. The resulting gaps are easily solved in a batch process by using BD's 'Edit smoothing'. Honestly, it's VERY quick.

out of everything everyone's told me
at first glace, this seems to be the best way to do it
cuz i just tried it and it worked

everything else everyone said doesn't work:
using + or - to nudge audio within the region... the audio moves in very awkward amounts of length
enabling shuffle mode and moving regions - this doesnt move audio within the regions...
tab to transient, split region, quantize - this doesnt work because nothing is selected after the split region

i conclude that i still dont know how to "drag" audio within the region
but i think making cuts at the proper spots and quantizing some how (not sure which methods to use yet) is the best, because honestly thats sort of what "slip" editing is, in the first place...

dragging regions on to grid is too slow.

you should try beat detective... i use a combination of BD and manual. If the drummer is decent and it's not a complicated section, you could do 16 bars in 5 seconds.
also re: moving regions awkwardly... at the top, under your grid value is your 'nudge' value... you can change that to whatever you want. But I don't think nudging is a good way to go about it in PT.

5 hours?!?! to do one song? Gosh man. I quantize just like you do bro well sorta. my suggestions would be take a look at the part and cut the part at either 4 bars or 8 bars depending on the part and quantize it in 1/16. Although sometimes you will need to quantize in 1/32. most of the time 1/16. Sometimes it is easy to slip edit or even copy and paste to the grid. A song takes me an hour. I quantize All the drums and Cymbals, guitars bass and vocals basically everything