Pro Tools crashing all the fucking time

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Ok. This is getting REALLY fucking annoying. I'm in the middle of editing an album and Pro Tools is crashing non-fucking-stop. Honestly, I'll spend about two or three minutes editing before Pro Tools either comes up with an error message saying something about there not being enough memory to auto-backup - in which case, upon trying to save, PT crashes altogether, and I lose my session data and oftentimes backups also.
Alternatively, PT sometimes decides to skip the first step altogether.

I thought this was a Windows error so I have just formatted a drive, reinstalled XP (gone through all the optimisation steps, etc) reinstalled Pro Tools and [some] plugins, but it is still crashing.

Anybody have any idea what the fuck is going on? This is seriously counterproductive and is driving me insane.

You really need to note the exact error message and then check the DUC for fixes. You also didn't mention what version of PT you're using (8 I assume since you're on XP) and whether or not you are using the most recent CS version.

Also, check the default fixes here.

Sorry - should have said.. Am running an old version.. 7.4 CS2. Will be sure to write down the exact error when I have calmed down enough to approach my computer again... :p

Audio is on the same drive and as mentioned, have just formatted the drive yesterday so there shouldn't really be anything else on these causing problems..

I honestly don't know shit about PT, but our new bassist uses it and it crashes for him sometimes too. I don't know if it's his setup or what, but I wouldn't like to have to deal with that shit all the time, personally.

Best of luck bro.

if you are editing you wont need low latency so ramp your DAE buffer size up to give your system a bit more breathing space and make some adjustments to the disk and memory buffers too and see if that helps, but yeah go to the DUC you will get much more knowledgeable help with PT issues there.

PT was shit with XP for memory handling, something that became waaaay evident with PT8

Well FWIW the last one was CS10. I don't know that an update will solve your issue but the 6 extra cycles of bug fixes should be worth something.

yup .... update to CS10

I was running 7.4 up until a few months ago and had zero problems on XP but that was with the CS10 update so that may solve your problem as long as your DAW is legit and you don't have any "spotty" plugins. I'm not insinuating anything, just stating what could be a source of your problem.

Yeah, as mentioned earlier.. download version cs10 and make sure your audio files are on a seperate drive to you operating system. You could also try 'Save Copy In' and work on that version, this has helped me in the past, but first make sure you purge the session of all the crap that accumulates from all the editing ect. Also as mentioned earlier, could be a dodgy plugin!

www.ascapestudios.com

Thanks guys - will look into the upgrade. Shouldn't have any issues with sorting that out :) I've only just started working on this system again - runs flawlessly on my MacBook Pro - just makes me want to drop the cash on a nice Mac Pro even more, despite the ridiculous costs involved!!

Thanks again