EXTREME PROBLEM WITH PRO TOOLS 9

Leon--

Apr 17, 2009
London
hello guys i have a huge problem with pro tools 9,everytime i press play it stops immediately and here's what it says
"A CPU overload error occured,if this happens often,try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the playback engine dialog,or removing some plug-ins.(-6101)"
facts:
1)it's a new empty session so there is definately no overload
2)i've tried the H/W buffer size,i even put in in maximum % and still nothing new happened
3)i previously used the program and everything was OK without this problem.
4)there are NO plug ins loaded and even if they were,i used the program before and it was ok
5)i use a presonus firestudio
6)I;ve reinstalled both presonus drivers and pro tools 9 and NOTHING again happened
7)my hard drive is not split,so all the information goes to 1 drive.
8)i run a mac with 16GB ram so it's not something weak..
anyone knows what i can do?because im working for a studio right now and this is a complete disaster for me
cheers

I did a little searching for you and I found a couple of places where they talk about checking to make sure that pro tools is looking to the "internal" clock, I think its under session but I wouldn't swear to it. And everywhere on Avid they really recommend having your audio files on a seperate drive. If this doesn't help let me know and I'll keep looking, I'm in IT for a living so I like trying to figure stuff out.

Cheers
-Cory

man thank you very much for the support and your help.
im sure that the problem is not from the imac because it's brand new(5 days i7 3,4GH 16ram)and the presonus interface works for 3 years perfectly
i have a 2 terabyte hard drive just for audio and i dont undrestand whats the problem really.
ive tried absolutely any combination that you can press on the program(different samplerates bit bla bla)and nothing works.
it only works with the interface of the imac.
the thing that really got me crazy is that i installed again the program and the interfcae drivers and nithing happened
if you find something let me know,thank you very much

Hey I found this on another forum, not sure if its the same presonus device or not.

Maybe it will help

"Okay guys, here is how i got MMP to record on Pro Tools 9 in a MacBook:

Open System Preferences on the Mac
Select Sound
Choose Centrance MMP as your input device
Close Sound Preferences

OPen AudioMidi setup
Click on Pro Tools Aggregate and check mark:
Centrance (There are two Centrances, the top one is the output)
Centrance (This is the input)
Built in Mic
Built in Output

Select Built In Mic as the Clock Source (you have to do that because the MMP does not generate a clock)
Make sure the clock setting at the source is the same as the Centrance ones. If you select your source clock as 44.000, make sure the Centrance (both of them) are showing 44.000.

Close Audio Midi setup

Open PT9
Create a session with the same sample rate as your devices (44.000 in this example).
Select Setup from the menu bar
Select Playback Engine from the drop down window
Select Pro Tools Aggregate as your playback engine
If you have a session open, PT9 will ask you permission to close it and reopen,. Go along with it.

Now go back to Setup on PT9 menu bar and select IO...You should be able to see PT9's Aggregate icon with the inputs and outputs available to you right under it.

If that is the case, close the dialogue box and go to your PT session Mix window.
Select the outputs and inputs accordingly for the existing tracks.

That is it, you are ready to record."

-Cory

hello guys
yes ive reinstalled pro tools and the presonus drivers and nothing happened.
ive also tried anything that you mentioned but with the presonus firestudio its exactly the same thing i cant use the program with the interface.
do you know any other solutions?
thanks a lot

For being so badass and "pro", PT seems to have its share of problems. I want to buy it and learn it, but I see a lot of issues with it and I'm perfectly fine with Reaper.

It's hard to diagnose without actually being at your CPU, but a few different things to check/try....

1. does PT work normally with no interface attached and simply using built in audio?

2. See if Presonus has made any update drivers for your unit, specifically for PT. Check the absolute maze of impossibility that is the Avid website and see if they have any updates. 9/10 when people call me in help them fix their PT9 rigs, it's simply a matter of updating a driver for their interface.

3. If neither of these things work (more specifically #1), then I would be lead to believe it's something more serious like an improper install (not your fault, happens all the time), or a problem between protools and the firestudio.

Good friend of mine has an old tascam interface that would bring my rig to a halt for no reason at all. My guess is there is an incompatibility somewhere between PT9 and your interface which is probably easy to fix.

alright guys thank you very much for your help ive managed to solve the problem.
pro tools did not recognize my audio interface as the "master" and i dont know how the fuck that change because i ddint touch it.
anyway thanks for your help!

For being so badass and "pro", PT seems to have its share of problems. I want to buy it and learn it, but I see a lot of issues with it and I'm perfectly fine with Reaper.

PT have its share of problem when peoples try to run it with non approved computer/hardware or wrong OS setting.
You need to have everything set the right way for get peace of mind.
Aprouved avid system/hardware are listed in avid website. OS preference are listed in PT manual.

I'm an happy PT user since 4months now. Not a single crash, not a single bug.
Why? I run PT with an approved system, dedicaced to audio btw. It simply work and run solid...

Just my 2cents...

alright guys thank you very much for your help ive managed to solve the problem.
pro tools did not recognize my audio interface as the "master" and i dont know how the fuck that change because i ddint touch it.
anyway thanks for your help!

How do you do this??