Blue Screen of Death in pro tools 9?

brianhood

No Care Ever
Within the last month or so, i switched over to a new computer, windows 7, and Pro Tools 9. Everything has gone smoothly except that, occasionally when i switch buffer settings in pro tools, i get instant BSOD. Anyone have a clue what this could be from? It's happened around 5 or 6 times, but only when changing buffer settings, and not every single time i do it.

It happens to me to man. DON'T SWITCH BUFFER SIZE !!! Especially if the project is loaded with plugins. Just close the current project and change buffer size and re-open

Blue screens are 99% of the time a driver issue. A BSOD means the OS had an exception it could not recover from. Application failures will just cause the app to crash. Disable automatic restart after a system failure. Save the dmp file somewhere besides the default location. Get WinDBG. Set the symbol path in windbg to "SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols". Load the dmp file in WinDBG. Run !analyze -v and it should have enough of a stack trace to tell you which driver failed.

Is there a way to check if the RAM is the problem ? Cause my new computer have always had a BSOD at least once a day, and it's brand new, super smooth, fast, stable, it's all working fine but I sometimes get random BSOD with no direct link with what I am doing, that's why I'm asking to myself if it's hardware related.

if there was a fault with the RAM, crashes would be intermittent and random, and would cause the computer to fail to boot sometimes.

windows 7 keeps applications fairly sandboxed, so it's highly likely it's some sort of driver issue. it might be best to contact the manufacturer of your interface.

i'm sure switching to cubase would fix the problem too.. ;)

thanks,

Is there a way to check if the RAM is the problem ? Cause my new computer have always had a BSOD at least once a day, and it's brand new, super smooth, fast, stable, it's all working fine but I sometimes get random BSOD with no direct link with what I am doing, that's why I'm asking to myself if it's hardware related.

the most famous is memtest86+
you burn a cd with that launch it and do maybe a 2 pass test.
The program loops inifinitely so you can stop it even after the first pass.
It's worth it to let it loop at least two pass or maybe even 3 or more, the more the better.
It's time consuming so just leave it all night running.
Maybe it can be a powersupply that doesn't give enough voltage or hasn't enough power.... maybe because most of the time is faulty ram

I have discovered a nice free software : WhoCrashed. Basically it just reads your dump files, the ones windows creates during the blue screen.

In my case it says :

On Mon 11/04/2011 23:59:34 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041211-13228-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70740)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050031, 0x6F8, 0xFFFFF80002E8D1DF)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

So it seems it's a driver issue as stated. But my drivers are all up to date, excepted one : my firewire driver, but I have checked the last version and it didn't work, it wouldn't recognize my Profire at all. Excepted that I'm up to date so I don't know what to think about it. I may run a memtest to be 100% sure it's not my ram.

I too get the very same error when adjusting the buffer size, and aso the BSOD. Just tried the whocrashed app there and the same too problems appeared, dg003.sys ntoskrnl.exe PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA for both. I'm using pro tools 8 though on Win 7 64 bit. I thought it might be my ram too but memtest showed nothing. Also if any application that uses audio is open the BSOD appears. The only advice i got from the duc forum is to not use firefox and disconnect from the net. Pro tools 8 is buggy as hell, always crashing!

Within the last month or so, i switched over to a new computer, windows 7, and Pro Tools 9. Everything has gone smoothly except that, occasionally when i switch buffer settings in pro tools, i get instant BSOD. Anyone have a clue what this could be from? It's happened around 5 or 6 times, but only when changing buffer settings, and not every single time i do it.

Funny enough, I just built a new computer this week(none of the same hardware as my last PC), and have the exact same problem again haha. I tried Googling to find a solution, and this is literally the only thread I could find. 2 years later, and I'm in the exact same situation.

:bah:

Edit: Oh and to add to the weirdness, my WIFI goes out when i get the BSOD, and doesnt come back on until my PC restarts....