Pro Tools latency problem

migreeni

Dismember
Nov 27, 2005
Finland
www.malummeh.com
I got a huge problem...

Today I tried to record with Pro Tools. I use a POD plugged straight into my Mbox 2 Mini. For some reason I get a huge latency! I tried to fix it from the Playback and Hardware etc. but it didn't help. What to do?

I know what causes latency in Pro Tools, so don't bother telling me that I need to take the plugins (which I don't use) off.

Another problem: My monitors have always started making a really high pitched noise when I start Pro Tools. (when I shut PT down, the noise disappears) When I change buffer size, cache size, sample blablabla, the noise disappears and when I close the window and return to the edit window, the fucking noise comes back! Anybody familiar with this problem?
Anyways now when I opened an old project, the high noise was accompanied by a loud white noise. What the fuck?!

Anyways, if you could help me out with those problems I'd really appreciate it..

As far as the latency goes you should just be able to lower the buffer size and as long as you're not using any plugins that cause latency you shold be fine, so sorry I can't help you there.

I've had the same issue with high pitched noise when I start pro tools on my pc. Its never really bothered me as once I start playing the session it gets drowned out. Just out of curiosity are you using balanced or unbalanced leads going from your mbox to the monitors?

As far as the latency goes you should just be able to lower the buffer size and as long as you're not using any plugins that cause latency you shold be fine, so sorry I can't help you there.

Tried this too.

[/QUOTE]I've had the same issue with high pitched noise when I start pro tools on my pc. Its never really bothered me as once I start playing the session it gets drowned out. Just out of curiosity are you using balanced or unbalanced leads going from your mbox to the monitors?[/QUOTE]

I think balanced. I don't remember and I've never really put any thought on the balanced/unbalanced thing.

I wish I could go lower than 128 samples. I would take it right down to 64 if I could (none of my soundcards seem to be able to go that low).

128 samples is low enough that some comb filtering occurs but I can tell it's still latent enough to be audible. Anyone know how to measure this?

I Have an Mbox 2 and that kind of troubles.
Are you installed all the CS patchs from Digidesign??, because, for me, that resolve all my problems related to PT 7.4

If you have a Pc or mac with core 2 duo processors, you MUST install that patches!

Good luck!

Another thing...I recomend you to record your guitar tracks with the pod via USB in Nuendo or Cubase etc...because, if you plug your pod intro your DI IN in your Mbox, the quality of the sound will not be optimum because the A/D D/A A/D conversion.

Hope you resolve the problems!

:)

Try this ...

You're going from a POD into the Mbox yes? Aside from setting your buffer as low as you can without causing the system to stop while tracking, when you have your track record armed, also hit the Mute button on that same track. You'll still hear your guitar parts while you're tracking, either by speakers or headphones but you won't hear the delay that occurs. Just make sure to get a good balance of volume between the playback material and what you're tracking.

Problem should be solved

Except that the tracks will still be recorded with a delay, though, so you'll have to manually align them (uggghhh)

Except that the tracks will still be recorded with a delay, though, so you'll have to manually align them (uggghhh)

Never happened to me

Everything I've ever tracked like this has required absolutely no time shifting of any kind. When I go on to do my 2nd, 3rd & 4th guitar tracks I do it all the same way and they are perfectly lined up

Dude I'm telling you, I've NEVER had to align my tracks when I do that ... never

They fall right in time to the drum tracks, I do 4 rhythm tracks and all my other guitars plus bass and NONE of it has ever need to be aligned after. Just try it