How do Beat Detective with Cubase (tutorial) ¯\(°_o)/¯

k,....
it's actually a bit slower than it would have been some weeks/months ago because I forgot most of the Cubase shortcuts and kept hitting the Pro Tools ones...
what I did here was just one verse.

in this case I used Snare, Kick, Toms as key. usually with faster material I'd just use snare and toms and do the kick separately...not necessary in this case.

one important macro I created myself is the "ctrl+alt+x" (that's what it's for me, you gotta build it yurself). what it does is: "place cursor at next event-->cut-->place cursor at next event"

that way when I hit that key combination the locator jumps to the beginning of the next event, cuts and jumps to the end of the same event...and so on (you'll see).
I'll try and record some vox over the video to explain what I did, will see if this works

damn, some of the steps are way too fast I had trouble improvising my explainations on top of it, lol.

bear in mind...this is just basic...in a complex metal song you might have to check and fix a bit....usually before crossfading I'd just have a quick look through the section, checking if all the snippets got quantized to the correct gridline, if necessary I'll just move the hit that's off and then quantize.

As I said, I used to be as fast in Cubase as I'm now in PT...but Cubase lets you only quantize the audio 100% to the grid....huge limitation

Lol Lasse...I don't remember Jing being a pain, I just installed it and I was done...

Care to elaborate on "but Cubase lets you only quantize the audio 100% to the grid....huge limitation"? Typically I like to quantize 100% to the grid then use swing macros to nudge hits slightly left/right of the grid at "random" intervals. I'm just not understanding how the quantizing is limited in Cubase.

YT is blocked at my work too but I'll be home in 2 hours :)

Lol Lasse...I don't remember Jing being a pain, I just installed it and I was done...

Care to elaborate on "but Cubase lets you only quantize the audio 100% to the grid....huge limitation"? Typically I like to quantize 100% to the grid then use swing macros to nudge hits slightly left/right of the grid at "random" intervals. I'm just not understanding how the quantizing is limited in Cubase.

YT is blocked at my work too but I'll be home in 2 hours :)

you cannot do iterative quantize in cubase to preserve the feel of the drummer (at least not with a major pain and going through an extra step of midi).
I'm using "snapz pro x" now for the video...works nicely but rendering takes ages...that's why it's not uploaded yet ;)

....will take at least another 30-45 mins....

To be honest, I'd rather see James or Lasse make a Beat Detective tutorial, possibly a comprehensive DVD which would include the Pro-Tools project files used throughout the tutorials.

haha...I spoke quite a bit slower than I'd usually do....that way the accent came out much more than usually...and since I just improvised and overdubbed the vox while watching that video I'm kinda stuttering in places, skipping words etc..also I did have some glasses of nice red wine before and during this, so listen closely to understand what I'm saying....you'll get what I'm talking about though....:)

I'd like to do a more in depth one somewhen but I just didn't have the time today (this is just a real quick runthrough):

http://lsd-tonstudio.de/sonstiges/cubasetutorial.mov

but since I found this video-capturing thingy now I'll perhaps do some more and more detailed tutorials soon

just realized...if you have it playing in firefox and your screen resolution is smaller than mine was you'll miss some parts of the video...so if you're watching it on a smaller screen (mine was a 20" widescreen...dunno the exact resolution) you should probably download it and watch it in VLC or something

just realized...if you have it playing in firefox and your screen resolution is smaller than mine was you'll miss some parts of the video...so if you're watching it on a smaller screen (mine was a 20" widescreen...dunno the exact resolution) you should probably download it and watch it in VLC or something

Still downloading, the connection here in work is capped at 50KB/Sec...Grrr!

Awesome video! You can actually quantize to a groove in Cubase, so then it becomes just like Beat Detective in that respect as well.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video!

thanks.
yeah, but you gotta create that groove template and still it'll not be the same, since the BD takes the feel of the drummer just tightens it a bit can't be done as easily in Cubase as far as I know.