Martin Lopez - a god amongst men

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
I think it's time our good friend Martin got some recognition for his amazing efforts.

I was listening to BWP today and consciously trying to listen to the drums (which is hard with the vocals and guitars being so sweet as they are) and WOW!! Maybe it's just me, but I think he's come a long way since MAYH. This is saying a lot because his playing on MAYH is just freakin outstanding, but now, holy crap, he's got this certain inflection, it's like Mikael's inflection/timing (I'm hoping you know what I mean by that), it matches so perfectly with the style of Opeth.

I lent a friend of mine some Opeth albums a while back (mayh, bwp) and he absolutely shit himself over the drums on these albums (I'm amazed he even heard the drums because he is a guitarist and the guitars are just so prominent).

I would best describe Martin's style as perfected lazy painful evil psychedelic insanity (I've given this some thought, hehe). There is just something about him that is so extra special that I can't quite put on my finger on or put into words. It what separates mere players from artists. That's the cool thing about music, it's indescribable. Martin's playing also falls into this category.

I think Martin's playing on BWP is definintely his best to date. On this album he has attained a smoothness and slick/polished confidence that really shines through so subtlely. His drumming accents the stings so well, never over-bearing, never attempting to steal the spotlight, just an incredibly perfect blend. Martin is so smooth that it's so easy to forget he's even there, it's so well blended with everything else, so perfect. He does some really really bizarre and technical shit on BWP, totally tripped out and insane. What a player. Holy shit.

In my humble opinion as a very techincal/anal drummer and lover of true musical art, on BWP Martin has seriously entered into an elitist sort of category and should be considered a GOD. Amen.

Satori

Lopez is amazing. He consistently shows that he's just as comfortable doing syncopated jazzy mayhem as he is lying on the bass pedals (though, noticeably, never ONCE doing a blast)

Very brilliant

but.......

To me it seems he complements the guitars perfectly, as does Mendez on bass. As opposed to the earlier albums where Anders and DeFarfalla extended the riffs, where they became a part of the riff.
I guess what i mean is that if you take bass/drums away from the later albums most of the riffs sound the same, just not as complete. Whereas if you take the drums/bass away from earlier albums your left with a completely different sounding riff.

Both have their advantages and its a good indication of how opeth have changed over the albums, both ways have their advantages and well, its opeth... its beautiful.

They are all gods.

Originally posted by Sadistik
Lopez is amazing. He consistently shows that he's just as comfortable doing syncopated jazzy mayhem as he is lying on the bass pedals (though, noticeably, never ONCE doing a blast)

Has Opeth ever done a blast beat? I'm thinking back and I can't name one. It's so easy to rely on it when you do this sort of music.

-Hondo

Originally posted by Demonspell
He is a perfect fit for Opeth...I always tend to think of the Martins as being their secret weapon, never dominating the sound but having a commanding presence nonetheless.

agreed!

I cant agree more on this!

But there is one that I think is amazingly slightly better...Guisippe Orlando in Novembre has great feeling ;)

So much emotion...