Martin Lopez - a god amongst men

Okay I do admit that Martin Lopez is good,as a matter of fact he is great!

Everything he does with his arms while drumming is down right incredible very consistent/accurate,but there is one exception,his double bass drumming sometimes sounds fatigued and unstable especially on still life. On Mayh and blackwater park it was good but on still life it more on the unstable side,if you listen to amon amarth the album he was featured in his drumming is practicly perfect.

Well anyway the reason why it probably sounds off could be due to the production of the Opeth albums . But I'm sure on the next album he will kick ass!

You are absolutely right, man. When my friend played the BWP CD I got him (he is used to mainstream US rock) he said "can you imagine that drumming. Lopez certainly does rule.

What about some recognition for Martin Mendez?????? Damn it, listen to the bass lines! :mad:

Lopez is great, by the way

Well said Demonspell :D
There is definately alot of "air" drumming and "air" bass guitar playing along with the Martin's hehehe :headbang:

Martin is amazing and always getting better. Drums on BWP, especially the track, are phenominal!

But.. just don't take the guys' fire hydrant or you'll have hell to pay!:mad:

Attachments

• capnmartin.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 25
Ahem.

Martin is a god. I look it like this, if he wasn't a god, there's no way Mikael would've hand-picked him for the betterment of his child called Opeth. That's saying a lot. If Mikael asks someone to play with him, you know they've got to be damn good. Martin WAS damn good, but now, a few years later, he is a god. I think he is inspired, but then, playing with opeth, how could you not be inspired? I think that Mikael has really high expectations of his band mates, just as he has high expectations of himself. This is a very good thing.

It's not just his technical ability I'm commenting on here, it's his style as well. Here's how I see it, if Mikael could play drums really well, he'd sound like Martin. They fit together so well. I realize this is in part because Mikael has a huge part in writing the drums (he told me this in a email once). Yes, I know, they ALL fit together perfectly, but I'm talking about lopez here dammit! ;)

Martin's playing is pure art and pure emotion without a trace of any cheesy cliche type stuff indicative of the dt clones. He is totally honest, and he doesn't show off or over-play ever.

I feel gradified that our good friend Martin is getting the praise he has earned. This guy is worth his weight in gold. Some day I hope to meet him and smoke a sweet joint with him and tell him all this in person. What a fucking guy.

hail Martin,

Satori

I re-listened (again for the upteenth time) to BWP focusing alittle more on the drums: I am not a drummer - but excellent work done here.

I can't compare technically against other drummers - but as a complementary piece to a band - superb. As a band, I feel nothing is missing in Opeth anyways - so if you told me they picked their asses during concerts with style and flair - I'd believe you :)

Originally posted by Wolff
Satori you silly adulating soul.

I prefer Nordin :p

Nordin was not exactly the most technical drummer but damn he had some very percise/accurate drumming! thats what I liked alot about Nordin that accurate prominant stream of double bass drumming,damn I miss that!

Originally posted by pac1288

Nordin was not exactly the most technical drummer but damn he had some very percise/accurate drumming! thats what I liked alot about Nordin that accurate prominant stream of double bass drumming,damn I miss that!

Wait a minute...

What do you mean by "he was not technical"... in the same sentence with he is "precise/accurate". What does "technical" mean in this context?

I like his style more; very unconventional and creative. Plus he's obviously a Jazz Fan. :cool:

Wait a minute...

What do you mean by "he was not technical"... in the same sentence with he is "precise/accurate". What does "technical" mean in this context?

Well, the drummer from the Rolling Stones was also very precise and accurate, but not very techinical. Make sense?

Satori

So what does a "technical drummer" mean... in a paragraph Satori.

Wait a minute...

I like his style more; very unconventional and creative. Plus he's obviously a Jazz Fan. :cool:

Well first off I did not say that he was not technical I stated that he is not exactly the most technical,meaning that his work on orchid and morningrise was somewhat technical,but not the most complex I have ever heard.

And about percision,accuracy,and technicality.You don't have to a good drummer to sound accurate.There is beginner drummers that don't have much style or technique but have percision.