The Lopez beat

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
you all know what i am talking about....he does it in many songs...its that cool groovy...ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti....used on every album since mayh....i think that beat deserves to be dubbed "the lopez beat"....especially if other bands start copying it...ya know thats how it worked with the blastbeat and the triple-time thrash/punk beat. its not like 50 bands started it by themselves at the same time. one guy did it, people thought it was cool, and now it sets extreme metal appart. So, in the sad event that martin's beat ever spreads throughout the music world, (which i doubt), i think it should be recognized.

lol....there were bigger spaces in that....but, the end of master's apprentices, the second main part (don't know the time)...in demon of the fall. it kinda has that groovy...latin feel to it. i have heard it in countless other songs but don't know which times they appear.

I know what you mean... the "ornamented grooves" :p

I think the cymbal effects are coolest on Damnation though, they make the album more... well... groovy.

ornamented? was there already a name for this? or is that an actual term? *looks up in dictionary* "Music. A note or group of notes that embellishes a melody." i guess that would make sense.

I know exactly what you mean there. Yeah Lopez really kicks ass on Deliverance. Especially in the 9 min & 37 sec-I just love that part.

What really amazed me was actually SEEING him on the Lamentations DVD, both on the concert side, where he proved that he can do just as well and sometimes even better live, the mark of a truly good musician. I couldn't believe he was duplicating some of those rapid, precise grooves--and adding new ones--on the DVD..."Closure" in particular was a favorite, but there were others, too. And on the documentary as well, it was really cool to watch him actually creating a lot of those amazing things for the first time. :)

yes, i agree...he is way better live than on record...i think that is awesome....he just keeps expanding...we have to remember, compared to the rest of the guys, lopez is pretty young...so is mindez, but lopez is not even close to his prime. he recorded mayh when he was like 19 years old.

Well, I also think he's great on record...Deliverance/Damnation was probably his best to that point...but the thing with him in a live setting is that he's able to improvise successfully and NOT mess things up. I don't even pretend to understand what it requires to be a sucessful drummer...personally I know I am not even close to having the coordination and stamina it must require...but I'm pretty sure that with all that he's got going on when he plays, it would be pretty easy for a lesser drummer to mess things up really badly in concert by trying to overreach himself.

No matter how much we see out of him, we definitely haven't seen it all yet!

Well, both Rose Immortal and I didn't become familiar with Opeth until just this past February... I was able to catch them in Detroit real quick, but our fandom came too late for Rose to see one. lol

They'll tour again though.. :p

And yes, Lopez is an INCREDIBLE performer!

JoeVice said:
you all know what i am talking about....he does it in many songs...its that cool groovy...ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti....used on every album since mayh....i think that beat deserves to be dubbed "the lopez beat"....especially if other bands start copying it...ya know thats how it worked with the blastbeat and the triple-time thrash/punk beat. its not like 50 bands started it by themselves at the same time. one guy did it, people thought it was cool, and now it sets extreme metal appart. So, in the sad event that martin's beat ever spreads throughout the music world, (which i doubt), i think it should be recognized.
I think I know which one you're talking about. It's some form of the Afro-Cuban beat. He certainly did not invent it. Lots of prog metal band uses that same exact beat. But nonetheless I appreciate that he uses it in extreme metal.

Do you mean the thing like.. near the beginning of Moonlapse Vertigo?
That's what I'm listening to now and I think it might be what you're talking about... pretty cool stuff.

Caelum Adustum said:
Oh my god Lopez is AMAZING live.
my sentiments exactly, even my mom thought he was awesome live, yes, my mommy took me to see opeth. and SHE LIKED IT, WOOOO!!!!!

yah, its a 6/8-type beat...you have all heard it 49834 times. i had never heard it before in other music...but i'm pretty sure that he is the first to use it in extreme metal.

I tihnk hes talking about the beat in the outro "run away"riff of Demon, Another beat imilar to that in the outro to ForesTof October, he does the same thing only on the snare not hats.