What is the Ghost of Perdition? What does it mean?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
What is the Ghost of Perdition? What does it mean? I think the song Ghost of Perdition is great, but what is the Ghost of Perdition and what does it represent? I assume it's the Devil, but maybe this is tied in as a concept album? I've been wondering about this for a while and decided this was the place to post about it. Thanks.:)

I think it represents gigantic lollypop candycanes that twirl about and bunch up into flowery blossoms of everlasting joy.

Only problem is, ghosts don't like candy. Hmmm...... you just may be on to something.

anyone who makes any attempt to analyze akerfeldt's obviously nonsensical lyrics is too obsessed and needs to find a hobby

anyone who makes any attempt to analyze akerfeldt's obviously nonsensical lyrics is too obsessed and needs to find a hobby

Well from time to time it really makes sense to me. In fact it's like my emotions are put in a written form.

I think the ghost of perdition is meant to be a (random?) daemon the mother is obsessed with. :ill:

Says the bloke who spent hours compiling and posting a countdown of all Opeth songs.

I agree with you for the most part, but the conceptually based ones are fairly transparent, particularly those from My Arms, Your Hearse and Still Life. I've never had any trouble deciphering their meanings. The lyrics off Blackwater Park are discernible (for the most part). The lyrics off Ghost Reveries make sense given the occult elements (i.e., they're meant to be more descriptive than anything).

The lyrics off Orchid, Morningrise, Damnation and Deliverance are more poetic and introspective than coherent. As for those off Watershed, they seem to be based loosely on some story, but it's hard to say given the fact that Mike won't talk about them, which means he's either bullshitting or they're truly only meant for him to understand.

I guess for the most part, Opeth's lyrics aren't particularly straightforward. They're mostly abstract and ornate, and I suppose that's what makes them great. You can derive whatever meaning you want.

The Ghost Of Perdition is, IMO, the "spirit" of the devil talking to the son. It obviously lead him to kill her in some way, and it deceived him with some sort of logical reason (pouring venom, brew deceiving).

Well I think the "Ghost of Perdition" is obviously the "Ghost of.. Mother!". I'm not totally sure about the story told on this album (ghosts seems to be a big part of it, but why? I think Mike already talked about it) but the mother seems to be dying for a reason (murder, possession, ...?).

I'm pretty sure "Ghost of Perdition" is a play on words Mike thought up while high on pcp staring at his cat.
He decided to give his cat a rep'ing name, "Gustav Puurrdition", I thought it was obvious...

What is the Ghost of Perdition? What does it mean? I think the song Ghost of Perdition is great, but what is the Ghost of Perdition and what does it represent? I assume it's the Devil, but maybe this is tied in as a concept album? I've been wondering about this for a while and decided this was the place to post about it. Thanks.:)

Ghost of perdition
A saint's premonition's unclear
Keeper of holy hoards
Keeper of holy whores
I hope it helps, well he is the keeper of a holy whores, u wanna know who's the whores?