What does it all mean?

Tool...what are they? I'm inclined to think they're nu-metal, but not in the derogatory sense, as most people seem to associate nu-metal with. But don't get me wrong, most nu-metal is factually crap.

Tool are a joke. They, well, Maynard at least, play off the phony idea that theya re all about the art. Remember that song about how stupid LA is? uhh, move the fuck out then. Oh, whats that? People wouldnt buy your records? thats what i thought.

oh, and emo is 'emotional hardcore' - meaning hardcore with interludes of generic sounding clean vocals (sum41 style vocals). All the songs sound the same to me -

hardcore intro
chroussy bit with clean singing
repeat above till song close

bands include funeral for a friend, taking back sunday etc

Hmmm..let me take a stab at it:

Nu-metal - Ass-dwelling music based primarily on powerchords and a recycled boring song structures (ex: Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Coal Chamber, P.O.D.)

Metalcore - Heavy Music without guitar solos. A lot of harsh screaming and breakdowns. (ex: Killswitch Engage, God Forbid, As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God, Chimaira)

Thrash Metal - Fast aggressive music, usually with technical guitar playing and crazy drumming...like Opeth on fastforward...minus the chipmunk vocals. (ex: Converge, Black Dahlia Murder, Dillinger Escape Plan, Extol's "Synergy")

Black Metal - Pretty much what abcdefg said - Annoying overdramatized production and shitty satanic lyrics and usually annoying vocals. ( ex: Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Old Mans Child, My Dying Bride)

Death Metal - It's pretty hard to generalize but I would have to say Heavy music with all around very talented musicians including very high pitched or low pitched "death vocals"(screams). Theres usually a double bass drum and three guitarists for maximum nipple-inverting heaviness. Lyrics are usually about anything and are decently good. (ex: Opeth, Emperor, Dark Tranquillity, earlier In Flames, Amorphis, Cannibal Corpse)

Emo - Shit (ex: Underoath, From Autumn to Ashes, Poison the Well, and anything else along those lines)

So there you have my interpretations on labels...I know theres more but I'm a lazy bastard.

Edit: ( these interpretation suck and should not be taken seriously by any means whatsoever)

ChrisEmerson said:
hmm it appears theres an emo band called still life.

And here they are...
stilllife.jpg

I came across that while looking up a definition for emo - you can just feel the gayness radiating off the picture......just look at it................ :puke:

i disagree with your definition of thrash. at least the bands you chose... i tend to split the metal i lsiten to up into: prog, power, thrash, heavy/nwobhm, death, black, doom. Thrash to me means bands like annihilator, kreator, megadeth.

ah well.

if there wasn't the nu-metal thing... then there wouldn't be an underground scene.... don't you think? :cool:

Ummm, not entirely true... metal as a whole would then be underground. The nu-metal component is just what is seen by the public, and if that part isnt, it doesn't mean the rest is...

Darkness Eternal said:
People who think that genre labeling is stupid are usually countless times more stupid.

Person A: <BandName> are really good!
Person B: Oh cool, what type of music are they?
Person A: I can't say! I'M NOT A CLOSED MINDED FOOL!!!1

Imbeciles.
That was a great explanation for your argument.

(I'm lying.)

Interesting point about nu-metal validating underground metal's existence. I love the fact that there is so much bad music out there. It only makes good and great music sound so much better.

BTW, here are my rules for nu-metal (which I wrote in 2001, still holds true today, sadly):

To succeed in nu metal you must:

1. Whine--I'm gonna do things my way, my way or the highway
2. Perfect a not quite gutteral scream of pseudo-anguish over what some girl has done to you--'Cause I'm one step closer to the edge, I'm about to break
3. Wear a goatee without the mustache part.
4. Black t-shirt, baggy shorts, forearm tattoos. No exceptions.
5. Make sure each band member stares ominously into a different direction in group shots.
6. Have a "DJ", scratching in the background. 808 bass(optional).
7. Either be bald or have some serious gel action going. Long hair not allowed.
8. Every song must oscillate between slow parts with single string guitar plucking followed by single chord bursts of sound generated through effects pedals (rather than talent).
9. When on stage, your head must bob, in fact, if you can make it look like you are fornicating with your instrument, even better.
10. Through lame ass "gang signs" on stage and in publicity photos.
11. When interviewed about your new album, mention that you were going for something "much darker" than your previous work.