What does it all mean?

Darkness Eternal said:
People who think that genre labeling is stupid are usually countless times more stupid.

Person A: <BandName> are really good!
Person B: Oh cool, what type of music are they?
Person A: I can't say! I'M NOT A CLOSED MINDED FOOL!!!1

Imbeciles.
Hah hah hah, that's the best. It's like being afraid to identify someone as "the black guy" out of fear of labeling people.

I think "-core" just means you do breakdowns instead of solos. Breakdowns = Let's all play our guitars like drums!

Labels are important to music, especially in discussing music and recommending bands. However, some of my friends who are into bands like spineshank, linkin park, new metallica, etc etc. are simply sick and tired of people calling them morons and saying the bands they like are shite. And yes they've heard bands like Opeth and can't stand them :p

etotheipiequalsminus1 said:
Labels are important to music, especially in discussing music and recommending bands. However, some of my friends who are into bands like spineshank, linkin park, new metallica, etc etc. are simply sick and tired of people calling them morons and saying the bands they like are shite. And yes they've heard bands like Opeth and can't stand them :p

they're morons. fuck 'em

grey and pink: thanks for being one of about two people who actually answered my question. good definitions. what is emo? you made it darkly appealing by telling me to avoid it.

everyone else: you all rule.

Maybe I've been brainwashed by the liberals too, but I'd just like to offer a different opinion on this "i'm a metal elitist and everything but death/black/thrash/prog/whatever-i-like sucks" idea. In my experience of talking to a wide variety of people about music, there are intelligent, good people who listen to every genre of music. People listen to music for different reasons, and none of them are any less valid than YOURS. Not everyone listens to music as "art", some value it as entertainment, as a political or social statement, etc. This might draw them to other kinds of music, maybe even metalcore or whatever. Personally, I've never really listened to any of those bands labelled as metalcore so I can't say. I just don't like how closedminded and moronic a lot of the people in here seem to be. Relax, grow up, and let people listen to what they want.

As for labels, no one's ever gonna agree on which bands fall into exactly which categories, they're useful as loose categorizing tools when discusing and describing music, that's probably about all.

IAmEternal: who are you talking to exactly? not me, i hope. i was merely inquiring what these labels mean as I am a bit older than most of the people on here, don't have the typical influences, don't read the typical magazines, don't listen to much metal so I am not exposed to such terms as "metalcore" until i get on this board. actually the first time i heard "nu-metal" was at an opeth concert when my friend commented on devil driver's vocalist.
anyway, you may not be talking to me but i just wanted to clear it up so i dont get some reputation as close-minded.

dorian gray said:
grey and pink: thanks for being one of about two people who actually answered my question. good definitions.
Actually his definitions were beyond shitty. Those were the definitions a person who doesn't know much about the said genres.

Black metal:
bad production and lyrics about satan

death metal:
just fast drumming and growling

abcdefg said:
Actually his definitions were beyond shitty. Those were the definitions a person who doesn't know much about the said genres.

Black metal:
bad production and lyrics about satan

death metal:
just fast drumming and growling

Umm, can you give better defenitions of the genres i spoke of? rather than putting words in my mouth about black and death metal, which i never said a word about? thanks...dick.