For those of you were into (real) metal back in the 90's...

I don't download.. i guess I'm oldschool in that respect... I like original CD's and coverartwork plus I like the bands that I like getting their royalties... especially bands on indie labels...

Yes. While easier, it's infinitely less enjoyable than holding the cd in your hand at the store, or hearing the "clunk" of parcel on welcome mat.

MP3s just don't look nice on the shelf, either.

I'm in the same boat, maybe it's the older eneration mentality I don't know :) - I stopped downloading for a few reason:

1) I found that I started relying on it and in turn were doing the band(s) and injustice by not buying the album in support of them. No sales = no label, plain and simple. I'd rather see the bands I like continue to release albums.

2) I found that it became less intimate by not having the full package (CD, liners, cover, etc.) in my hands vs. a digital file and googling some art.

3) I also found that I started not knowing what the hell the song name was I was listening to quite often, because when I listen with a CD I have the cover in front of me most of the time and can reference it. with MP3 I would have to flip back to the program playing it and check. More often than not I was too busy working to flip over so never bothered to check.

Anyways, I download here and there if there is a new band I have found and I want to get a quick taste. I try not to download new albums from bands I already like any more because it just doesn't have the same feeling as getting that CD and opening up the full 5 course meal. I do agree that for a while there MP3 helped spur sales morethan detract from them, but after a couple years of easy access to MP3 I think it has shifted now and it definitely takes more sales away from bands than ever.

It is a bit interesting how the generation divide almost coincides with the buy vs download opinions (and before you lash out, that is not an attack on anyone).

I pretty much never download because 1) I'm too lazy, 2) I tend to never listen to my downloads anyway, and 3) I have a good majority of the shit that I would actually want to listen to in my own collection. The only stuff I download is commonsensical, like things that are long out of print and can't be found except on ebay, which I still try to get, things that I only have on vinyl, and albums/bands that I'm just not sure about.

why do you assume that downloading and buying cds are mutually exclusive

I don't... i just prefer the original CD much like someone would rather have a original book in their hand then a E Book... I just consider myself a collector as well as a fan... Never know when these CD's might go out of print like alot of thrash CD's from the 80's did... plus like i said i like supporting the releases of the bands i respect... if i download its just to sample music of a band i might consider buying their original CD who I haven't listened to before so I do not waste my money in case I do not like them first... Like Deron/Metal Ages said it's probably us old timers mentality why we like original CD's...

Got Covenant and Individual Thought Patterns the week of their release date. That's when Rust In Peace and Vulgar Display moved over to the side.