Question about all the sub-genres

I prefer bands that have a unique sound or lots of variety in their music. The Meads of Asphodel, for example, are beyond any classification...unless you're prepared to write a paragraph describing their style.

First the confusion with Steph's grocery store ad, and now you don't know who Jari is?

Whats going on Ananth :loco:

I thought there was someone else in the forum by the name Jari :lol: At that point of time it didn't occur to me that a person is allowed to describe his own music.

Now with the Steph's grocery ad, that was thinly veiled sarcasm that no one caught :(

He's in BANGALORE

They don't even have PIZZA there, he lives in a hut and doesn't wear shoes

No. YOU don't have Pizza there. You have to board a Shinkansen or whatever you call it to get one :lol:

SouthernTrendkill said:
I like to pretend that there are 5 genres of metal: Black, Death, Thrash, Doom & Power. But then some great stuff gets left out.

Yeah. I kind of agree. I’d include heavy-metal among them though. The rest are sub-genres evolved from these six main-genres.

ThrashizFTW! said:
…not all bands within a sub-genre sound the same

and

krampus said:
But there are so many varieties within said subgenres that you need to add extra descriptions

So much ambiguous discussions were born on these remarks. People, the reason bands within the same musical genre (or sub-genre) sound different is not due to a different genre/sub-genre but rather due to style (the band’s personal musical/lyrical imprint).

Einherjar86 said:
I like Jari's description of Wintersun. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something like: "Extreme epic melodic technical progressive folk/power metal."

Clever. He just described not the genre but the band’s musical imprint/style influenced by an amalgam of existing musical genres. But that doesn’t push them out of melo-death sub-genre’s boundaries.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Jari is knowledgeable about genres, because that sounds about right, but it's still bad.

Wrong. Great stuff.

I find really stupid 'genres' like troll metal, pirate metal, space metal, ritual metal and such. Most of them plays a very recognizable kind of metal - like folk metal, black/symphonic black, industrial, avantgarde, etx; just with their own style which make them different from each other (parhaps just heavy and power metal still sound the same than decades ago and most of bands sounds really similar). Lyrics alone are not enough to tag a band on a certain style (Like some stupid people that calls Unleashed and Amon Amarth viking metal).

Now a lot of bands mix too many styles and it's hard to tag them 'correctly'. Some other styles are really ambiguous, like avantgarde and extreme-progressive metal. I can tell the difference listening but still it's hard to define it accurately with a definition.

Clearly, a band's image shouldn't be mixed with their musical style. That's plain stupid.

@Kthulhu- I agree with the ambiguity in accurately defining avant-garde, which could probably be placed into one of the other sub-subgenres.

IMO the genres we have right now are more than enough. You can call something Black/Folk, but aren't really creating a new genre, but simply stating "Hey, they're black metal with more folksy melodies and some clean vocals"

Lyrical themes don't influence genre. Therefore there are no such things as pirate metal, viking metal, and white/Christian metal. However, viking metal is generally used to refer to folk metal derived from Scandinavian folk, with varying degrees of black metal influence, so as a term for that it's legit but it's not a real genre, just a niche of folk metal.

Lyrical themes don't influence genre. Therefore there are no such things as pirate metal, viking metal, and white/Christian metal. However, viking metal is generally used to refer to folk metal derived from Scandinavian folk, with varying degrees of black metal influence, so as a term for that it's legit but it's not a real genre, just a niche of folk metal.

Can't agree more.:worship:

So death metal doesn't exist?

I think genres and sub-genres help the listener identify a band/album with a particular style of music. I don't have a problem with the multitude of sub-genres in Metal today.

Because death metal is only about death?

I was under the assumption it was labeled that because of the lyrical themes and of the band death. I could easily be wrong, as I don't really pay attention to the genre of a metal band.