Metal's Most Maligned Sub-Genres (And The People That Listen To Them)

Hip Hop elements? Are you sure you're talking about System of A Down here? I can think of very few instances when pseudo-hip hop elements are used to add a bit of exotic flavour to a song, but there's certainly no way you can broadly classify them as a band that generally "combines hip hop with metal", that's more appropriately used to describe bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Their original-sounding style combines tight thrashy metal with more melodic parts and of course the unique vocal style, as well as lyrics that are (generally) far more meaningful than those you can find in 90%+ of death/black metal these days. SOAD rocks! :headbang:

psst, ObscureInfinity thinks that Meshuggah is "Negro metal" and generally berates mainstream music he doesn't like by relating it with black people. Ignore the troll.

You're a fucking retard, and I pray every night (every single goddamn night) that you get AIDS.

Just when I thought we had scraped the bottom of the I.Q. barrel in this thread, the appropriately-named Butt has actually found a hidden stupidity compartment at the bottom of it. I'm glad that I've had such an influence on your life that you actually spend a few minutes every night thinking solely about me ;)

In my opinon, the Album "Shadow Zone" by Static X was by far the best album they ever made (whereas their other stuff was generally mediocre), and a briliant example of heavy non-conmercial nu-metal:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u0fQC9aRsE&NR=1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNns9bxAFUc&NR=1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RTt5nohzQM&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when I thought we had scraped the bottom of the I.Q. barrel in this thread, the appropriately-named Butt has actually found a hidden stupidity compartment at the bottom of it. I'm glad that I've had such an influence on your life that you actually spend a few minutes every night thinking solely about me ;)

0/10

try harder

Wisconsin Death Trip was the best thing Mr. Static put out. They are cocks though and suck at being nice to fans. I did catch a guitar pick that one time I saw them.

Also, it's not as maligned as the three you mentioned, but it's not tremendously easy to be a devoted power-metal fan, either. :p Especially when you're not actually a basement-dwelling World of Warcraft obsessive.

Amen to that. Although I find when discussing metal with black or death metal dudes IRL it isn't too bad, they just sort of give me this strange look like they can't understand why I'd listen to something that fruity sounding. They usually just say something like, 'Eh at least the solos and musicianship are pretty good.'

I get more shit about listening to power metal from my non-metal listening friends though. "It's lame, it's just sped up hair metal, there's too many solos, it'd sound better if it wasn't so fast, they're just showing off, the singer sounds like a girl, the 80's called and it wants it's music back." All that kind of stuff.

Nah, Wisconsin Death Trip and Machine shit all over that album (back when Static-X were basically straight up industrial metal). They added too many poppy hooks and melodies after the first 2 albums..

Do you hear any poppy hooks in those songs I just posted? I can't hear any even though I'm trying. I liked the Shadow Zone album more because the songs were more fast-paced and free-flowing (much more moshable too), but in the earlier albums and the album after Shadow Zone they often adopted a more kinda stilted, halting style, if you know what I mean. I also found songs like "Push it" or "I'm with Stupid" a bit cheesy. It wasn't all bad though, two of my favorite songs off "Machine" are "Get To The Gone" and "This Is Not"