Metal's Most Maligned Sub-Genres (And The People That Listen To Them)

Hip Hop elements? Are you sure you're talking about System of A Down here? I can think of very few instances when pseudo-hip hop elements are used to add a bit of exotic flavour to a song, but there's certainly no way you can broadly classify them as a band that generally "combines hip hop with metal", that's more appropriately used to describe bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Their original-sounding style combines tight thrashy metal with more melodic parts and of course the unique vocal style, as well as lyrics that are (generally) far more meaningful than those you can find in 90%+ of death/black metal these days. SOAD rocks! :headbang:

Grow up already.

Yeah, atleast kinda grow up. You don't have to be an adult all the time. It's not to terrible.

When the best your opponent/s in a discussion can do is pull out the arbitrary "gay" or "kiddie" card, you know that either A) They've been been totalled outwitted in the arena of logical argument, OR B) They were never capable of much logical argument in the first place so simply try find refuge in brainless cheap shots instead.
So predictable...

Or we don't feel like arguing with someone who is a blatant troll.

There's nothing trollish in explaining why you like the metal bands that you do, and engaging in discussion with regard thereto, but throwing around random homosexual allegations is definitely far more trollish....

It's like you sat down behind your computer and said to your 16 year old self. "I'M GOIN TO TROLL ULTIMATE METAL BECAUSE SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS ULTIMATE METAL YEAH!"

Besides the 3+pages of SOAD arguements (btw, they fucking suck), I'm surprised at how tame this thread is.

As a person who grew up initially listening to the hair metal my mother enjoyed and living through the years when numetal reigned supreme, I always enjoyed Korn. There was always songs that I hated from them, generally the overly hip-hoppy influences (Damn limp bizkit sucked). It's nice to see some other people around the same age as me talk about the music at the time. I still get the urge to listen to Korn once in a while, they're the only band from that time I never totally wrote off.

Black Flag IMO is one of the best punk bands I've ever heard. This is coming from a guy who fucking hates punk.

I enjoy some metalcore.. I actually really enjoy 'The Curse' from Atreyu... Something about the whole emo/revenge-vampire/core gets me every time. Call me gay if you want...

PS. In case you missed it the first time, SOAD fucking sucks.

It's like you sat down behind your computer and said to your 16 year old self. "I'M GOIN TO TROLL ULTIMATE METAL BECAUSE SYSTEM OF A DOWN IS ULTIMATE METAL YEAH!"

This is a thread about maligned metal sub-genres, and judging by most people's tastes around here S.O.A.D. would fit into this category. Although I do like many different kinds of genres of metal and bands, I also do like System Of A Down, and therefore I am discussing them in the appropriate thread here. The buffoonish accusations of "trolling" simply stem from your own small-minded bigotry towards the band in question because in your mind anyone who likes S.O.A.D. and proclaims so boldly must be a gay who should be subjected to slow torture, you've created your own little imaginary "troll under the bridge" through your mindless hate of the music. I also find your under-age fantasies quite disturbing.... :lol:

Great! Thanks for providing us with a reason to get into another tedious semantic debate. We don't have enough of those.

Yeah glam is like. David Bowie.

We all know what you mean though, Van Hagar Molly Hatchet moms with their cigarette purses who call their boyfriends and their fathers "Daddy."

I never listened to much hair metal type stuff when I was younger because it wasn't "heavy enough" but now that life isn't a contest to listen to the "heaviest" music, I like it better than ever. It speaks to my delusional imaginations of what America is like.