What genres do you like?

I can enjoy most music on a basic level providing I am in the mood, but I am more likely to appreciate a particular genre/band/song if it is especially creative or clever, atmospheric/emotive, or features good musicianship. If music can offer me these criteria then I will most likely enjoy it. I think you can get this to varying levels in nearly all the genres of music, but obviously it is more prevalent in some, eg. metal, classical, and jazz (my favourite genres). I find that you can still find some artists that fit this criteria in hard rock, country, hip hop/rap, techno and alternative rock but it is less common and therefore I don't go out of my way to listen to this music because there is so much crap to sift through in order to find something decent. If I have left out genres here it is because I am not familiar with them.

Music that typically annoys me and that I avoid at any cost is bad Australian hip hop/rap (is there anyone who can actually stand this? I pitty the fool). I also despise pop-punk, as well as anything that is especially uncreative, unintelligent, unatmospheric, lacks emotion, and features poor musicianship.

As far as metal goes, well I guess I am a little naive regarding the genres but I have always liked pretty much all the metal I have heard to some extent. Of what I have heard I would say my favourites are death, melodic death and black metal, prog and some thrash.

Reactions: SculptedCold
Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
I can enjoy most music on a basic level providing I am in the mood, but I am more likely to appreciate a particular genre/band/song if it is especially creative or clever, atmospheric/emotive, or features good musicianship.

I would say that I like the following genres:

Pop
French-pop (if that's a genre)
pop-rock
soft-rock
rock
progressive rock
Progressive fandango-rock (if that's a genre. It's the only thing I think fits Carmen's "Fandangos in space")
psychedelic rock
psychedelic pop
acid rock
Power rock (Grand Funk, etc.)
jazz-rock (like Billy Cobham, etc.)
Hippie crap/singer-songwriter stuff
folk (like Donovan, etc.)
Folk music (whether it's scandinavian, rumanian, greek, african, etc.)
Classical (I can't really tell the different genres apart, but I have records by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Rachmaninov, etc.)
Opera (Bizet's "Carmen" is the only one that comes to mind though, unless Mozart's "Requiem" is an opera)
jazz (mostly traditional, but also a few things in the more experimental area. A lot of this psychedelic/free/avantgarde/fusion jazz is some of the worst crap I've EVER heard (Miles Davis' "Bitches brew" being one of the worst records I've ever had in my collection!), but stuff like Teddy Wilson's "'Round midnight" and Oscar Peterson's "Wheatland" are among the best songs I have EVER heard!)
Vocal jazz (like Toni Harper, Billie Holliday, etc.)
Jazz-funk
Funk
Soul
Disco
Film music
A couple of musical songs (Gershwin's "Summertime" from "Porgy & Bess" being my alltime favorite track)
Country (well, not much, but I have a couple of records by Billy Strange, Bobby Bare, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc. and Lee Hazlewood, which is more country-pop is my favorite artist)
And then I'd also have to say country-pop now I already mentioned Lee
Heavy metal
Black metal
Doom metal
Gothic metal
Hardcore (Biohazard, Sick of it All, where Biohazard is the only one I have)
Progressive metal (Dream Theater, and maybe Opeth counts)
Power groove (Pantera)
A few death metal songs
Grind (a couple of Deicide songs is the only thing, I guess)
80's metal (GN'R, Skid Row, etc. (lots of horrible crap in this genre)
Psychobilly (Nekromantix and Condemned are the only two I have in this genre, I guess)
Thrash (Machine Head's "Burn my eyes" & a Forbidden record are the only ones I have)
Stuff like Empyrium's two latest and Ulver's "Kveldsanger"
Kraftwerk
Frank Zappa
Stuff like Dead Can Dance, Clannad, etc. I don't know if that falls into spiritual or something (Clannad probably more folk-music).
Punk (A Dead Kennedys record is the only one I have, if Hellacopters don't count)
Glam rock (only a few records)
Blues (only a few records)
I guess some old Rn'B (Rhythm n' blues), not the Rn'b today, but the stuff from the 60's.
Hard rock (Rainbow, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Audioslave, etc.)
World (Ismael Lö, Bau, Cesaria Evora, etc.)
Grunge (Soundgarden, Boghandle & Pearl Jam's "Indifference" is probably the only)
Stoner rock (Queens of the stone age)
Reggae
Dub (I don't think I have any dub, but I like some of Aswad's songs)
Instrumental stuff like The Ventures. I don't know if that kind of categorizes as surf, but I'll have to mention...
Surf now, as I have a cd by Dick Dale
A few 80's hits (Level 42's "Running in the family", Dead or Alive's "You spin me round", King's "Love and pride", etc.)
Latin (I don't really know the difference between such genres as mambo, cha-cha, bolero, etc., so I just label all of it "latin". I have records by Ray Barretto, Perez Prado, Xavier Cugat, etc.)

I don't know if that's it. Maybe there's more. I usually say that I listen to any kind of music that existed before the 80's, except gregorian chants and some other genre that I can't remember now (but it starts with a p, as there used to be to p's - the other being punk).
Most of my record collection is from the 60's & 70's. There's not much besides metal, world, film music & a few things here & there I like that's newer than the 70's. I used to listen to hip hop, house, trip hop and stuff like that, but I grew tired of it. There was a lot of records in that area that I bought, listened to 5-10 times and then never listened to them again and there were fortunatly also songs I listened to 5-10 times on mtv/radio, got tired of them and therefor didn't buy them. When I say "get tired" I don't mean that I think it sucks now. I don't think there's ever been a record/song, since I started to get interested in music in the late 80's, that I listened to at home and really liked that I now think sucks! The stuff I listened to earlier and got tired is now mediocre to me (but not crap and not good).
The thing is though, that I have gotten really tired of that electronic sound that everything has nowadays. To me it sounds super corny and gross if you can hear that it's just a button on a computer that has been pushed instead of real instruments. A lot of times it sounds like it has deliberatly been given a synthetic sound - a sound that can't really be produced by an instrument - and that's even worse for me. An example is when I saw "Requiem for a dream" and I heard the the strings on the theme. I thought to myself "Mayn, that's some bad-ass strings [nothing beats strings if you ask me]! I'll buy that soundtrack" and then the worlds grossest crap-drums comes on and ruins it all completely!!!!!! Why not just leave it without drums or at least use some real, more subtle drums, like John Barry does on "Fred & Cyd" for instance?
Well, enough rambling. I don't really like dance and other electronic genres, although I can guess I can find okay stuff in all of it (but okay is not good enough to listen to IMO). Drum n' bass is probably the worst genre I know! I can find okay stuff in that as well, but stuff like Bad Company (complete with rip-off name) has made some of the worst crap I've heard my entire life!!!!! And I know about drum n' bass, as one of my best friends is a drum n' bass maniac, so I've probably heard several hundred drum n' bass songs.

Meh, if its metal, the chances are I can appreciate it. Hell, it doesn't even have to be metal, just as long as the musicianship is good. However, my favourite genres are:

Brutal Death Metal
Stoner/Doom Metal
Black/Post Black Metal
Melodic Death Metal (early In Flames etc, not the later, poppier stuff)

I am even kind of getting into some power metal now. I downloaded some Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Grave Digger, and Helloween, and it was pretty good for the most part. I'm not too crazy about new Helloween, and Blind Guardian has a few cheesy songs (ie. Mr. Sandman), but most of it was pretty good. I guess I'm giving it another chance.

I actually like a lot of music outside the borders of metal. Here is a list of what I like:

METAL
- all genres from primitive black metal to happy power metal, not that much nu-metal / rap metal bands though, the debut albums from Rage Against The Machine, Korn and Machine Head are amazing but other than that the whole genre is pretty much watered out

NON-METAL

Classical (Schostakovich, Rachmaninov, Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Carl Orfff etc.)

Some Irish & Scandinavian folk music (Garmarna, Hedningarna etc.)

80s pop (Michael Jackson & Madonna still rule)

Ambient / atmospheric music (Loreena McKennitt, Sarah Brightman, Simon & Garfunkel, Enya, ERA, Vangelis etc.)

Some pop, disco, dance, techno but not that much

Some older rock music, preferably the more progressive ones

When it comes to metal, I like prog rock and prog metal more than anything, some death, and some thrash. I can't take endless brutality. Black Metal just seems silly to me.

Outside of metal, I can enjoy whatever pleases my ear. That can be anything from Sarah McLachlan to jazz to some R&B. And I enjoy video game soundtracks.

death metal - brutal, melodic and so on
black metal
grindcore
power metal
doom metal
thrash
nu-metal (only a few bands)
punk (all i've been listening to the last few days)
ska
rap
industrial
classical
country (only a couple of people)
hardcore

i'll pretty much listen to just about anything except for most country, pop-punk and techno. i'm very open minded when it comes to music.

i dont really go by genre's...
mainly
Melodic Stuff : From At The Gates To In Flames (and lots in between
Classic Stuff : Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Etc
Sad Stuff : The Cure, Katatonia Etc
Heavier Stuff : Carcass, Etc..

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
My tastes in music are very eclectic, here are some of my favorite genres:
Heavy Metal
Sixties Pop/Rock
Classical
Jazz
Indian music
Classic Rock
Hard Rock
Avantgarde
Pop

I would have to agree with most of them actually... good list. I really like Indian music, and alot of national/world music, particularly stuff from South America. I find that kind of music has alot of feeling and energy, which is appealing to me.

Post-Black metal (solefald, arcturus etc.)
Progressive Metal (from Dream Theater to Cynic, Opeth etc.)
Progressive Rock (King Crimson, Rush etc.)
Prog./psychedelic (Ozric Tentacles, dunno what esle to label them :p)
Post-Rock (godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky etc.)
Jazz/Fusion (Return to Forever, Weather Report)
..ehm, Frank Zappa...but I can't label him anything, he played almost every genre....

I like every kind of music mostly, beeing metal the my main choice everytime.

Jazz
Clasical
Pop (GOOD pop, not the shit we are all used to listen)
Trash
Rap
R & B

damn... i like the whole music world.

The only style that i utterly hate... its TECNO!!! that shit ain't music. Tecno its not music, just a bunch a noise repeated over and over again.

I abhor punk and hardcore, myself.

Doom metal
Gothic metal
Black metal of most forms
Death metal of most forms
Power metal
Progressive metal
Glam metal ( mm hmm )
Folk metal
Viking metal
Blues
Pre-80s Country