Metal's Most Maligned Sub-Genres (And The People That Listen To Them)

Early Motley Crue, Under Lock And Key by Dokken. Otherwise, all glam I've heard is pretty fucking fruity/lame. Unless you count Bon Jovi, because that shit rules but is not metal at all.
As for metalcore, I always hear metalcore songs and hear cool parts but I don't think I've ever heard a perfect metalcore song. I think in theory there could be good metalcore but I've yet to encounter anything more than decent. That said, shitty metalcore really isn't much worse than other forms of shitty metal.

Nu metal can eat a dick. It's not metal and never was and shouldn't be called metal.

Skid Row was awesome, but their first album was the only thing remotely hair metal about them. Slave to the Grind is much heavier than the rest of that genre.

True, there's not much that's typically 'hair metal' about that album, which is probably why I like it. I listen to that album more than anything else by that band.

Only one of these genres with any redeeming quality is glam... and there isn't much of that. Early Crue... a song here and there... otherwise pretty bad.
Nu-metal is about as interesting as rappers sampling 70's songs and being proclaimed genius' for doing so.
Metalcore is simply obnoxious.

Metalcore offends me the least at its worst, but the best metalcore doesn't do much for me either, maybe some Lamb of God aside. Glam is kind of the same, but some of those bands have the most dire filler songs in existence, especially when you get into not-so-successful bands like Britny Fox.

Glam/hair metal is definitely the best of those three genres.

Only when non-glam/hair metal bands like WASP, Skid Row, GnR, and etc are lumped into it.

Twisted Sister is dumb fun. early Virgin Steele is somewhat glam-ish.

nu-metal had a few redeeming albums. Korn's debut is good if you can remember what it was and not what it has become. Ultraspank was good, too. Sevendust's first album is decent. Yeah, that's all I can think of.

i dont know much metalcore. Is Life of Agony's first album considered metalcore? whatever it is, it's great.

I actually really like a lot of glam/hair metal. I always felt it had much more in common with hard rock than with metal, though, and should have been classified as such. But my music taste is thoroughly '80s in all regards, so yeah. :p (Also, even most people who don't care for glam sitll have love for Crue.)

Also, it's not as maligned as the three you mentioned, but it's not tremendously easy to be a devoted power-metal fan, either. :p Especially when you're not actually a basement-dwelling World of Warcraft obsessive.

I grew up on Grunge and Nu-Metal, so both those genres always have a place in my heart. You gotta go into it expecting fun stupid music, not anything thought provoking.

I actually really like a lot of glam/hair metal. I always felt it had much more in common with hard rock than with metal, though, and should have been classified as such. But my music taste is thoroughly '80s in all regards, so yeah. :p (Also, even most people who don't care for glam sitll have love for Crue.)

Also, it's not as maligned as the three you mentioned, but it's not tremendously easy to be a devoted power-metal fan, either. :p Especially when you're not actually a basement-dwelling World of Warcraft obsessive.

I agree that power metal gets dragged through the mud a bit too often. To the uninitiated, it sounds just like hair/glam, and to the dark and brooding hard-assed metalhead it just sounds wanky and faggoty, but some power metal is awesome. I noticed that hair/glam has the most support around here, and I agree that it was the best. Skid Row, Mötley Crüe, pre-Anselmo Pantera, Lizzy Borden, Kix, Krokus, and even a few select songs from the "second tier" bands (Shotgun Messiah, L.A. Guns and the like) have real staying power and are just great music, period.

I always fucking hated glam metal with a passion and I really don't understand how it's now more liked than, say, metalcore, which if done well can be fucking great (actually I do understand, time and hindsight seems to enable anything to be viewed through rose coloured glasses).

Nu-metal had some good stuff, the first two Korn albums have both got some good stuff on them, the first Slipknot album, some Mudvayne etc. There is a lot of stuff that is branded nu-metal that I don't consider to be, such as Deftones and SOAD. I don't really consider Sepultura's Roots to be nu-metal either.

If Roots wasn't nu-metal, I don't know what the fuck else you would call it.

I don't really know either I guess. It's like they were going for an avalanche of heavy with some tribal elements, but I dunno how that makes it nu-metal apart from the time it was released coupled with the tuned-down guitars. All I know is it's missing the jump-da-fuck-up element, and that's pretty much what I use to gauge anything as nu-metal.

I would have called Roots groove metal, like much of Chaos AD (fantastic album). I also reckon groove metal gets a bit of a bad rap... I love Pantera, Lamb of God and Machine Head but lots of people rip the piss out of them for whatever reason?

As I've said numerous times before, I reckon the majority of metalcore is alright and gets way more flak than it should. All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Mutiny Within, Unearth, Trivium, even BFMV are all cool IMO. Although I'm mainly listening as a guitarist, so maybe that's why I like it. But it certainly isn't as offensively bad as people here make it out to be. Deathcore can suck my balls though, that's proper crap.

Melodeath gets some shit on here and I like lots of that as well. Early COB, Kalmah, Soilwork, that kind of thing. All cool as far as I'm concerned. :)