VERY BEST OF GENRES

Overtures

Aug 15, 2011
I believe that to the unbiased ear and eclectic ear, there are good sides to nearly all generes of music. Metalcore and Deathcore are no exception. So let this thread be a very-best-of for genres of hard music not usually appreciated here (ambient black, punk metal, crust, heavy metal, hair metal, etc.) Fuck off haters. If you got a forte in a certain genre, put up your best-of list. I've got punk/hardcore under my belt. And These are the essentials albums. The very best. And in no way shape or form are these albums within the same sub-genre of punk.

Out Come the Wolves by Rancid

Destined for Anything by Life Long Tragedy

Reinventing Axel Rose by Against Me!

Unknown Road by Pennywise

Lost and Found by Angelic Upstarts

I'd like to throw Machine Head's The More Things Change... and Fear Factory's Demanufacture and Obsolete albums under the nu-metal bus as well. It could be argued that they were more groove metal (Machine Head) and industrial metal (fear Factory), but the new metal vibe and infamous half-step chord progressions were there in full force.

The only Nu-Metal that I'd even consider listening to is Mudvayne's first album. It's conceptual, well written, and some of their riffs are fairly cool (at times).

Every now and then, nostalgia kicks in and I'll mumble along with a couple lines of Wait and Bleed or Evolution. But most nu metal and such trendy ilk I find detestable, if not at least for their terrible fanbases. I.e. Disturbed. Some decent musicianship that could be enjoyable in some doses. But if I say I like them, I'm lumped in with a her of queef mongering dildos. So ehh.

^ I won't say it's bad, but it is rather uninspired. It's neither catchy like one would expect from popular music nor does it possess any technical prowess, heaviness or hypnotic/drone like qualities from generally more "acquired" tastes. Exceedingly neutral.